• 442 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2526 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Remove off topic threads from new threads

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by KarmaCallama, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Off topic threads clog up the list of new threads. They should be removed from showing up on the new threads and only be accessed from the off topic section. This should improve the quality of the fourms and ensure that more important threads get proper attention.

Edit: I realize that a lot of off-topic threads are appearing under "surveys" such as "favorite food" and these threads should also be hidden.

Posted Oct 9, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 18, 2019
    Gzen, Brusey, Abreaction and 2 others like this.
  2. Hey!

I understand what you are trying to say about having the more important threads possibly being covered up by those in the Off Topic section but I don't think that it should be removed. That section is there to start some outer community type conversations so everyone can get to know each other a little bit more. These sections do tend to be more popular because of the vast amounts of topics that end up being discussed there. Remember, the new topics and responses on threads also appear on the very right when you're on the forum main screen. Once you post your thread, if you don't see your name and thread on the New Posts board on the right, you will be on the main screen to the right of the thread section you posted in with your name and thread title.

I don't know if this gave you more insight and we do promise that the important threads do get the proper attention they deserve.

Posted Oct 9, 2019
  3. I partially agree with this suggestion. Most of the time, off-topic threads do not contain discussions that are beneficial towards the server, just like Forum Games. Therefore, I believe that off-topic threads are an outlier when compared to other posts in the New Posts section. It also takes up several columns on the side which can result in potentially useful threads being buried as a result of posts that have nothing to do with the server.

On the other hand, threads in this section promote discussion, just not relevant to Mineplex (hence the name). Other sections that are not designed to establish discussions are hidden, such as Help and Forum Games. I don't really have a huge issue regarding off-topic posts showing up on the side, but this may be because I often check various sections on the forums for new posts anyway. I'm gearing towards this suggestion, but it would be nice to hear others' opinions as well.

Posted Oct 9, 2019
  4. Right, but it's not a social media site, it's the Mineplex Forums. We should be promoting server oriented discussion, not the 10th "what phone do you have" thread. Bringing together the community and making friends is great and all, but that's really not what this is for. I like to think of the forums as a suggestion box; a place to give higher ups your ideas on how to improve the server. You don't put random statements or irrelevant questions in a suggestion box (at least if you're taking it seriously). Off-topic threads can be fun and engaging, but they should be kept out of the limelight, as they detract from meaningful discussion. As someone who has made a few threads on games that actually matter to me, it's very disheartening to see how little response you get as soon as your thread drops out of latest posts. It essentially kills your thread. And Off-topic threads push a looooooot of threads out of latest posts.

Off-topic threads are fun, and in itself, I see no problem with them, but when they drown out actual Mineplex threads they become an issue. They should be kept their own sub-section, and out of latest posts.

Posted Oct 9, 2019
    Im_Ken, Brusey, Dan1el and 7 others like this.
  5. That's very understandable and I didn't think about it in that aspect which is great for you to bring up. After mentioning this, I understand more about where other attributes of this situation come to play in terms of having their threads ignored and whatnot. As much as people do love the more social aspect of the forums, it's not the main priority of the Mineplex forums.

Posted Oct 9, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  6. From my experiences, people really do enjoy the off topic section. Removing off topic posts from the new tab neglects that section, but I have seen posts suggesting similar changes to the forums and I see where they are coming from. The important posts do not get the attention they deserve and drown in the pool of off topics which can be frustrating to the OP who sacrificed quite some time to put their threads together. I think the best solution would be to make a separate tab for off topic posts because they come fairly often. This does not neglect users who are active in the off topic section and satisfies those who are looking for meaningful Mineplex threads.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Oct 9, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 9, 2019
    neropatti likes this.
  7. Hello!

I see a lot of different opinions above about this idea and I understand both sides. But, I think it should stay how it is. The off topic section does have post that aren’t related to Mineplex and I can see why there is no point to put it in the recent threads place but it should stay. The off topic section has great threads asking people questions that are sometimes common or unique and just telling people something. The forums (in my opinion) is a place to discuss an idea about Mineplex or just to give a feeling about something, wanting to hear others opinions on things. There is no reason to remove the off topic section from there because it is a good place for a forums page. Anyways, that is my opinion.

Posted Oct 9, 2019
  8. On one hand, I do want the Off Topic subforum to stay there (just not when it makes for 50% of the latest posts), but I think that the most important part of the forums is the Idea Discussion section, which has a lot of threads and is often under threat of being pushed out.

With that said, I have a few variations of an idea in mind. The first one would be to move idea threads out of the Latest Posts section completely, and create a new box for them (just like the Hot Threads on the old Enjin forums). The second is to keep them in Latest Posts, but also have them in the mentioned box. Thirdly, all idea threads with the "in discussion" mark could be spotlighted in this place to narrow down the number of threads shown there. And finally, if creating this box is not a viable option, I would agree with leaving out the Off Topic threads, seeing as they will still offer some discussion, just not as much.

The point of my suggestion was not to devaluate threads from other sections such as Server & Forum discussion, it's just that there are somewhat less threads there and usually aren't that important.

Posted Oct 10, 2019
    KarmaCallama likes this.
  9. I'd be totally okay with getting rid of Off Topic threads appearing in the New Posts section. A lot of our players are here to talk about the server and different components of it and aren't interested in random topics. I've always felt that the Off Topic section is interesting but not necessarily relevant to the server. In my opinion, the forums should be a platform that discusses the server rather than just random topics so having threads show up in New Posts from Off Topic kind of dissuades players from focusing on the forums intent of discussing the server and its features. If you are still interested in random topics, you can just go there, but I agree that New Posts should focus on discussion of Mineplex.

Posted Oct 13, 2019
    KarmaCallama and SpitefulNick like this.
  10. It doesn't really make any sense to me why off topic is now shown in the new post section, as the threads have rarely actually held content that provokes a real conversation that can be continued in comparison to server and forums discussion.

I see the novelty in the section and it often contains fun, albeit shallow threads that generally do not compare to the rest of the content in new posts.

At the end of the day, while the change of such is probably pretty easy, it's not very important and isn't incredibly impactful.

Posted Oct 13, 2019
    Vocaloiid likes this.
  11. No way, I practically live on /off-topic/ post wise

Posted Oct 13, 2019
  12. Hey!

Getting rid of "Off Topic" threads appearing in the New Posts section would be great! It's so many threads that are not actually useless to Mineplex, and I don't see the point why we should see those thread at New posts section.

I'm glad that you came up with this. +1 from me!

Posted Oct 16, 2019
  13. I'd say that getting rid of these 'New Post' notifications in the side-widget of the website would probably be for the best. Most threads in Off-Topic are a bit more jokey/a little bit more random for responses, it's most logical to have all suggestions and regular server discussion shown in the new posts bar. Considering 'help' posts aren't shown for a similar reason I see no issue with making this a thing!

+1.

Posted Oct 16, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  14. I post in off topic once in a while, but usually if I want something off topic I go to a social media site like Reddit. While the off topic section is good for players to interact and meet one another through fun questions and sometimes just talk, this is really what the Mineplex server is for, not the forums. Especially if they keep clogging the feed like this I don't really think we should have off topic in the feed. Great suggestion and before your idea I had no idea how much I actually disliked this in the feed section, so thanks for bringing this to my attention. +1.

Posted Oct 16, 2019
  15. Just from seeing the new posts section right now, it seems maybe surveys could also be hidden from there, but as some are sort of on topic maybe have those be manually hidden instead automatic, not really sure.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 18, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  16. How can you promise that as someone who in no way has control over the forums nor how people choose to reply? The use of "we" in this scenario seems a bit silly I must say. And I assure you, threads that deserve attention are not always given it.

Anyway, I'm for this suggestion. Off-Topic threads occupy the same space here as Video Showcase threads did on the Enjin website. For different reasons, but the same result is accomplished: threads that have the potential to cause positive change are pushed out. Low-quality, practically post-boosting threads take their place very quickly. And I remember tons of people asking to remove YT videos from Latest Posts on Enjin because of how bad it got. Let's not make the same stupid mistake that was made in the past. Forums are primarily for feedback, not meaningless surveys that will go nowhere or content that has nothing to do with the website's company.

If a middle ground interests anyone, I think @_Prof_ brought up a fair point. If Off-Topic really needs to stay on the main forums page (which it doesn't), then give it its own module.

Posted Oct 18, 2019
  17. I believe we have already planned to remove the off topic section from newest posts as there's no real point to have it be there (I'll check on this later). I think it was also discussed somewhere to remove post count entirely from the off-topic section too.

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    neropatti and SpitefulNick like this.
  18. Eh, I can see why one would agree with this and take all of your arguments for removing it but I disagree.

By removing off topic threads from the new threads list, we are essentially placing a higher importance on some threads over others, which I think is wrong. I believe the forums should be a place to discuss a variety of things with equal emphasis and I think discussing off-topic related things is just as important as discussing threads that relate directly to the server. By taking off-topic threads off the new thread list, we will greatly reduce viewership of those threads which will in turn discourage people from posting in that section since they will have a greatly reduced interaction/discussion.

Surveys asking about what your fav food is or what you plan to do with your life after graduating school may not seem valuable to you, but for those who are participating in these discussions, it may be valuable to them as it allows them to build a sense of community, which is something that Mineplex has advertised rigorously over the years - that we have a great close-knit community unlike others, which has only been made possible, in part, by the variety of discussions on the forums.

Part of building a community is that we promote discussion about a variety of topics and by doing this, we go against the goal.

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    neotheater likes this.
  19. @Sven I mean the section will still be there, just not as "advertised" like other threads. We won't be taking away the community sense at all as there's still a giant load of threads that will be seen and discussed. The forums is here to have feedback, discussions and new ideas be thrown out to improve the server as well as applications, events, recruitment for teams/communities and whatnot to keep the community interaction sense with us. The off topic section is basically a mostly "anything goes" kind of form which acts like twitter/facebook in some ways now, which is not what we want to see here on the forums. The surveys form has also gone more into that territory, so it could also be removed from the newest post section if it's believed to just be another off topic.

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  20. Since you guys are super on the fence about it why not just make a separate thread link of just off-topic threads since there are just so freaking many of them and someone like me is less interested in filler and more interested in server discussions. This would be a problem because it would split the sidebar between Hot threads and Off-Topic threads but it would be worth in my opinion.

Or at the very least, create more than 1 stream of posts so things don't get buried as easily as they normally would (I'm totally not salty that my video i spent 8 months on only lasted 1 week before getting buried or anything, this is totally different). It's also very flawed in the sense that off-topic posts can post about literally ANYTHING, meaning that you could, in theory, spam off-topic threads with discussions void of any meaning, whilst being untouchable by any punishments, whereas it takes much more time to create meaningful server/forum related threads with meaning.

Long story short: separate it from hot posts (and potentially some more similar threads of the sort) to keep them alive in a different space than the rest of the more meta threads.

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.