• 874 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2958 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Remove Locked Threads From The Recent Posts

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by FluteVegetables, Oct 18, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is something I thought of a few weeks back and it’s exactly what the title says. Remove locked threads from the recent posts section. I’ll be looking on the forums and I’ll be looking through the recent posts section and I’ll see something I like. I click on that thread only to find out it’s locked. Or maybe some people want to see the locked threads (for some reason?) and there could be an option for that. The in exception to this is if a locked thread was commented on after it had been locked (an example for this would be the A51 raid threads).

Posted Oct 18, 2019
    Steven190 and scarlet ♥ like this.
  2. I understand where you're coming from on this, but people who want recent content from the forums should be given the opportunity to scroll through the recent posts and see all recent discussions. Not everyone that scrolls through the recent list specifically to reply to threads. Some people may just want to look at some forum posts to see what's going on.

As much as this could be a good idea for the people who's specific intention is to reply to as many threads as they can, it would not work well for the people looking for updates in forums posts and such.

Posted Oct 18, 2019
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  3. Yeahhhhh
    I was thinking of a way to be able to have a setting for this in your preferences.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 18, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  4. Locked threads often have important conclusions at their end. For example, if a topic containing a serious issue was addressed, it would only be beneficial for it to stay viewable for all forum users. Other than that, it could be locked due to a flame war while the original post is worth reading, or it might be an idea thread that was processed & approved or unapproved.

On the other hand, a thread can be locked due to violation of the forum guidelines, in which case it would make some sense for them to not be in the latest posts box, but it still provides for a good example of an action that should be avoided. A recent example is celebrating milestones or achievements in either Server Discussion, Off Topic or other forum, and a lot of these threads get closed for being better suited as wall posts. Without public rule enforcement, there would be more issues like this one.

Overall, considering that avoiding this issue is pretty simple, as all you need to do is to move on from the thread to another that interests you, I can't see this idea being implemented into the forum website. Thanks for suggesting though!

Posted Oct 18, 2019
  5. Hi Flute!
    I really like this idea! I agree it would be nice to have a preferences menu in the settings of an account, and being able to check off types of threads you would like to see, while not seeing the threads that you wouldn't like to look at. However, I really don't see this as a necessary addition to the forums, and there's a lot of other things that are more worthwhile to work on: ex. the knockback on Bedrock, fixing bugs...

If it was implemented, it would definitely be useful, but there's many other things that should be worked on before adding new features on the forums.

Posted Oct 18, 2019
  6. So there are definitely two sides to this argument and advantages and disadvantages going both ways here.

I'm going to state the plain facts. If a thread has been locked, it's kind of hard to gauge why it's been locked and what that lock means about the thread, it could be someone being wreckless and violating major rules or it could be giveaway violations, or threads being addressed.

Personally, I think that this is not a good idea, purely because most of the threads we lock are kept on the forums for archives and information, a thread being locked doesn't automatically get deleted after we go through it, it really isn't a problem to be displayed on the new posts tab.

Even though it doesn't allow for people to contribute, they still may find it useful or want to look at it at that moment!​

Posted Oct 18, 2019
  7. Most of the locks are just bug reports anyway. Perhaps there could be a separate section below recent posts but instead shows recent locked threads

Posted Oct 18, 2019
  8. hellohello

Personally, I do not agree with having this in place. Just because a thread was locked does not mean that the thread should not be seen by others. Many threads get locked for many different reasons, but just because they were locked does not mean that others should not see them. For example, if an idea thread gets denied, they are usually locked. This puts them on the Recent Posts tab on the website, but alerts people as to why the thread was denied since they see it popping up. There really isn't much benefit to removing them that I would see anyway, so I am interested in what people have to say about this idea.

Posted Oct 18, 2019
  9. I think the easiest solution would be to have a lock icon next to the thread title so players can see that the thread was locked, but as multiple users said above me sometimes, locked threads have very important answers or messages in them so that you might save yourself from making another thread about the same top. In the end, locked threads are significant enough to deserve being in recent posts in my opinion.

Posted Oct 22, 2019
  10. This is actually a super good idea.
    I’m going to lock this thread and create a new one with idea. Thanks :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 22, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.