• 1067 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9505 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Ranked SSM Concept

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by doggie123, Jul 15, 2019.

?

Do you think the rotating ranked system would help ssm?

1. yes, I like the Idea 100% and think it should be added as it is now!

20.0%
  2. yea, the concept is ok, but changes are needed

36.0%
  3. kinda, there are some serious flaws with the current proposal.

28.0%
  4. no, this would not help the game

16.0%
  1. (please excuse the insanely high amount of typos and grammar that I will most likely miss when double checking this idea) (I am very limited on time while writing this)
    Idea:
    I believe that cycling between a ranked match-maker and open ssm like it currently is every week will help newer players have a more enjoyable experience along with bringing more experienced players a greater challenge. Match making newer players into the same lobby would allow them to get a true 25% chance at winning instead of getting annihilated by higher level players consistently. This would help with ssm player count retention allot. However I also acknowledge that you have to be annihilated by others to learn, thus the schedule would alternate between ranked and unranked every week. In terms of my ssm skill set, id say I am somewhere in the middle. I would appreciate playing against a lobby with the experience as I currently have. I have come up with a potential plan to modify butch to do ranked matchmaking every other week with as little updates to the server structure as possible.

Rating System Breakdown:
    Each player would have their own rating that would be hidden to themselves and others unless changed in prefs to be visible. (this would prevent lower level players from leaving ssm after seeing themselves with a low rating initially before they have time to improve)
    win: + however many opponents you went against that match
    loss: - 1
    kill: + 1
    death: - 1

Potential Server Structure:
    each game would have 2 to 6 players (games can start with 2 players)
    butch will try to match players to the lobby with an average that is closest to their rank score
    butch will place you into a lobby that is either voting/starting soon or into a game in progress where the total amount of lives all players have is at 4 or bellow (there are only a handful of lobbies between games, thus most likely not providing enough choice for the matchmaker) (4 combined lives or less usually means the game will be ending soon)
    If no lobbies are found, a new one will be created for you.
    if you are eliminated from a game and the lobby has a total of 4 or less lives between all remaining players, you will not be queued for the next game even if your prefs say so.
    example
    game 1 2/6 50avg rating (in lobby)
    game 2 3/6 90avg rating (in game with more than 4 combined lives)
    game 3 4/6 5avg rating (in game with less than 4 combined lives)
    game 4 6/6 85avg rating (in game with more than 4 combined lives)
    game 5 4/6 70avg ratting (in lobby)
    game 6 3/6 110avg rating (in game with more than 4 lives)

player 1 (30 ratting) player 2 (60 ratting player 3 (200 rating)

player 1 would be sent to game 3, since the game is close to ending and closest to their rating score
    player 2 would be sent to game 5, since the rating average is the closest to the players rating score
    player 3 would also be sent to game game 5, since the two highest ranking games are not close to finishing and the third closest is full.

please post feedback on this idea, I am sure you all can think of a better algorithm for matches than what I came up with. If you read this far, thanks for reading! If you have serious concerns with the idea please post them here as well.

Posted Jul 15, 2019
  2. Hey there!

I think this is a great idea! I don't play SSM much myself, however, I do think this can be a possibility in the future. I sure do hope Mineplex is working on ranking systems for all the competitive game modes such as Cake Wars, Champions, Super Smash Mobs, etc. The list only goes on from there. This idea is a +1 from me.

Have a great rest of your day!

-JYTG

Posted Jul 15, 2019
  3. I agree that other games should have rankings as well, but only for team balancing. There are not enough games running at a time to support splitting up players by ranking between multiple lobbies for any other game. For example, it already takes over 3 mins to queue for champions while ssm normally does not require more than 15 seconds at most. Champions could also use team balancing though. ssm usually has 9 games running at a minimum allong with a few more in lobby, which would allow for this idea to match make people into specific lobbies possible during all hours. earlier today I saw that there were 28 games running today at one point. The player count would probably also mean that ranked teams of two ssm would not work with the specific lobby system idea recommended above, but again team balancing by rating within each lobby would help.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 15, 2019
  4. Ranked would work excellently with SSM.

Posted Jul 18, 2019
  5. I don't see a huge need for a ranked system in SSM. People already compete on the leaderboards in normal SSM, so creating a whole other gamemode wouldn't do anything but split the SSM population even thinner.

If new players don't want to get annihilated by more experienced players, they just have to play more. I can see you make a point for that by saying

But that just defeats the purpose of this whole system. Why create a very complicated ranked system if it's only going to be ranked every other week?

I could see this being a thing if a lot more people played SSM, but that's not the case.

Posted Jul 20, 2019
  6. indeed is needed to many people who arnt good at regular are gonna get beaten up by better players

Posted Jul 21, 2019
  7. I am neither pro nor con for this idea. I think while this idea would be nice and may have some benefits I do feel it will also have some issues as well:

PROS:

- As you mentioned, it would give newer players opportunities to develop their skills and get better at the game.
    - More experienced players could play against equally skilled matched players, this will also help them improve as-well they may find it more enjoyable.
    - As far as your idea goes, I think it was well-written and hypothetically if this was implemented, it would work well based on your 'system.'

CONS:

- This idea likely won't be too popular in the veteran community for SSM. These players may prefer to have a mix of good/newer players in their lobbies to add variety to their game. This also helps to encourage casual gameplay which I personally would prefer over competitive gameplay.
    - This will split the SSM community, it will be harder to queue into games as fewer players will be in each lobby.

To be honest, though I don't really see why this should be implemented. New players almost need veteran players to be in the lobby to improve and develop their skills otherwise they won't get better. If you made it so a Competitive Lobby was togglable and you could join that and not be forced into it that would be a bit better but otherwise I don't think this should be added.

Posted Jul 21, 2019
    did i stutter likes this.
  8. I feel that having a ranked system just couldn't work out, especially with too little players to fuel it. A skill gap in SSM will rise and create complications for users trying to increase their skill level. On the other hand, users that on the higher end of the ranking system would increase their skill level, as they are being challenged against more advanced tactics.

This is a -1 from me.

Posted Jul 21, 2019
  9. In my opinion, this idea is not great. I love your direction with it. But think about how you put the ranking. -1 Death, +1 kill and -1 death? This can cause players to camp and use run away kits. This can lead to many smash crystals spawning as well for the time that can go to waste just from camping. I just do not like the idea as it is as of now.

Posted Jul 30, 2019
  10. I would love for this idea to be added in. Sometimes I play against new players which is unfair to them and makes it easy for me and I would love a challenge. I find it would make this game more competitive and just exciting to see where you would place.

Posted Aug 4, 2019
  11. B..b..but what about studies and exams? ;-;

Posted Aug 5, 2019
  12. I don't especially mind the necro if there are still necros since I think this thread is important.

A way to solve the problem presented is to have a rating system constantly active but that would not effect matchmaking. i.e. every player has a value associated with their achievements in SSM (a relativistic one based on a certain number of matches and wins over other players, maybe also includes recent kdr, best includes recent win rate, weighted for players with higher or lower stats and a victory or loss) and win or loss moves value up or down. How much depends on what was achieved, who was beaten, maybe how as well.

Flaws: less competitive than perhaps some might hope, you will still not necessarily have a balanced match.
    Pros: practical given player size, able to implement on top of current system (I would expect), gives players a rating.

Also I'd want to allow players to do a 1v1 in an mps and still have it count. you might think people will abuse this and some might, but there are obvious ways to reduce unearned rank gain. Ill just list a few. One is subtle; people like that will lose it as soon as they play a few matches in standard SSM. Second, we can make it so that completing the same match gives diminishing returns (don't be stupid about his, be reasonable and determine what a repeat would constitute). Third, make losses a little more impactful than wins creating a curve where gain in rank levels off. etc.

Oh and also there should be general rank and rank by a certain kit

just a few ideas

Posted Aug 18, 2019