• 1486 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8130 Players Online
  • 6644 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Ranked Speed Builders

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by NickGray, Sep 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey there, I may be new to the forums however I've been playing Speed Builders and Mineplex as a whole for a while now. I think it would be pretty cool to add a ranked option to speed builders. This way players could competitively play the game and gain/lose ranks based on the place the get in a game. Thoughts?

Posted Sep 23, 2020
    RubyAlisa, GAM, 73GG and 2 others like this.
  2. This is great. It would be great to see a ranked speed builders. Once suggestion would be to make it so it's more based off of where you place and how far you go, not on if you win a game or not. Since it will be ranked, there will be a surge of very skilled speed builders players and these players will be able to go up round 50+ (most likely) and not get out. So I think it should be heavily based on what round you get up to, not really much on your wins but that might be hard to code. Anyways, this is a great idea and I hope it is implemented soon.

Posted Sep 23, 2020
  3. I do think this will help make it more fun and introduce newer players to the gamemode. Additionally, many highly skilled players would be able to go up against each other and reach new levels something that I hear them always brag about. However, while this is an interesting concept it has been denied countless times in the past:

https://www.mineplex.com/threads/cake-wars-league-ranking-system-and-separate-queues.104840/
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/cake-wars-idea.108333/
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/matchmaking-ranked-mode-or-solo-mode-for-cake-wars.67509/
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/cake-wars-player-rating-discussion.79450/
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/ranked-queue.132821/

With the following reason:

Posted Sep 23, 2020
    Susie and GAM like this.
  4. Nice! Will there be a difference in rewards between sp ranks? I would also like to know what would happen if there aren't enough people from a certain rank for match to begin, will they battle against weaker/stronger opponents?

Posted Sep 23, 2020
    GAM likes this.
  5. Yea thats a good point and I completely agree. Hopefully this will also boost the amount of players we see in total play the game.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 23, 2020
    GAM likes this.
  6. I don't know about rewards, however I can definitely suggest that if not enough people join from one certain rank they should play people from a higher and lower rank depending on where they are when it comes to ranking up. If they're not close to ranking up, they play lower ranks, and if they are close to ranking up they'd play higher ranks!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 23, 2020
    Spookyceps likes this.
  7. Though it does sound fun, personally, I am not a fan of this idea. If this were to be applied to speed builders, I could imagine it would be applied to the rest of the games. Not only would this get extremely competitive, but I feel this would get very toxic. Aside from a potential increase of toxicity, I'm not too sure how it would work. Similarly mentioned above, having two split game modes for every game or even just speed builders would split up the player base for each game into two. This would only make games more difficult to fill. If it solely were to just be ranked games it obviously wouldn't be the best alternative to this due to the fact that not everyone feels the same about ranked game modes.

Posted Sep 24, 2020,
    Last edited Sep 24, 2020
    GAM and Paladise like this.
  8. If speed builders were to get ranked variation, I could see people start pushing for ranked variations of other games as well, which wouldn't be a good thing. When I play games on Mineplex (mostly SSM which isn't the greatest example but still), I'd like to have casual gameplay where I don't need to smash buttons on my keyboard just so I can win my game. Having competitive variations would increase the competition between players, would create a much more toxic environment, and would cause even more players to start closeting (which is already a huge issue). It would also split up the playerbase which would be a fatal move for games that have small communities. I know I am basically quoting what's been already said above me, but it's exactly the same thoughts I have about this suggestion.

Posted Sep 24, 2020
  9. I feel like adding a ranked system wouldn't have to be on every game. However I feel like it would be cool to see it on more games. I also believe that yes it would split the players, but hopefully we could get more players to start playing if there is a competitive mode.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 24, 2020
  10. I love speed builders, but unfortunately as many have already stated, there would be too many things that would prevent this from happening. I would love to see this become a thing if at one point Mineplex had for example 10k active players daily and many more devs than there are now. That would be a perfect time to introduce this to all if not most games, sadly that's not how it is at the moment so I'll have to give this idea a -1 :(

Posted Sep 24, 2020
    StyxKiller03 likes this.
  11. Man, initially I thought I might really love this, but I feel it may just be too difficult for some players to get into. Some players will naturally be amazing of course, but there's a bit too large of a gap between the top-tier and mid-tier players like myself right now. The amount of talent people have in this game is unbelievable, but that crazy amount of talent might just be exactly why a ranked mode wouldn't work out too well. There would simply be very small room for improvement and whatnot.

Posted Sep 24, 2020
    chrvssy likes this.
  12. Hey!
    In all honesty, I would really like to see this be implemented. I really enjoy the concept of competitive games, and I think that this would be one of the best competitive games that could be added! However, I do not know how much hype there would be going into this, as I feel that Speed Builders is a game that people like to play just to improve on, not to be competitive. However, I could be completely wrong about that. Overall, I think this is a really cool concept, and I hope that it goes far someday!

Thank you so much for putting this out there :)

Posted Sep 25, 2020
  13. I think that this could be fun! I wonder if they would consider doing tier levels like they had done in the past with MCL. Plus, it would be good to get placed with players who are your own skill level. The only concern I have is that it might make it longer to queue for games, which would make a lot of people unhappy.

Something that was implemented on bedrock that I think could be implemented on Java is a personal best system for the builds. When a build comes up, it tells you your best time for it and it gives you a challenge to beat yourself. I think that could also work really well and also introduces a competitive aspect.

Posted Sep 25, 2020
    mab8400 likes this.
  14. I honestly like Speed Builders how it is, it's a nice and relaxing gamemode without too much competition (aside from trying to win a single game). Adding a ranked version would definitely split the playerbase, which is one of the reasons this idea was denied in the past. Competitive playerbases tend to be more toxic and I don't really think Speed Builders could use that. Nhea brought up a great point - the skill gap between experienced players and players who only play every once in a while is really wide, so really the only players that would be getting ranked at the top would be those who play constantly and memorized a ton of builds. So while I can see the benefits to this idea, unfortunately I have to disagree.

Posted Sep 25, 2020
  15. Hey! This idea isn't planned currently. Here's why:
    • A ranked system would split the player base. I understand that Speed Builders has a lot of players, but games would take a lot longer to start if players could only get into certain lobbies based on an ELO rating. If rating is added to a popular game like Speed Builders, people will also want it to be implemented for other, smaller games that it will have a lot worse of an effect on.
    • As many others have mentioned, people play games as a way to unwind and relax. There is no need to make the game extremely competitive and drive away players. Even if there were 2 separate options, one for ranked and one for normal, the player base would still be an issue causing games to take an extensive amount of time to start.
    Thank you for your idea! For now, I will be locking this thread as there are no plans for ranked Speed Builders.

Not Planned >> Denied by Game Insights.

Posted Sep 27, 2020
    Xukuwu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.