• 465 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5557 Players Online
  • 5092 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Ranked Arcade

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by Zymond, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Ranked Arcade is a gamemode where you play games that consist of 8 people that have a showdown for Elo, in a series of 8 arcade games such as Sky Wars, Dragon Escape, Speed Builders, Cake Wars, A Solo Version of bomb lobber where your on your own island, solo version of micro battles where your all split up, solo version of paintball, monsters maze. With in game points that contribute to nothing but the win and the winner gets 10 ELO and if you lose you lose -2 ELO. If there is a tie between how ever many people there will be an FFA to decide the winner in a pit. The more ELO you get the higher division the better rewards you get, Wood Division (Any player who plays) Stone Division (50+ Elo) Iron Division (150+ Elo) Gold Division (300+ Elo) Diamond Division (800+ Elo) Emerald Division (1,000+ Elo) Masters Division (5,000+ Elo) Grandmasters Division (Who Ever is top 3 in the rankings) Corresponding to the division your in is how rare and good your rewards are. And Grand Masters Division gets a exclusive victory dance and Kill Effect for every game.

Posted Sep 17, 2020
  2. I would love to see a competitive game introduced to Mineplex. However, I feel it would be better suited for games such as Cake Wars, Survival Games, Skywars, etc. Because these games already have a competitive nature built into them, and large player bases. I do think that the competitive game could rotate every month because creating a new version of all of the games would split the player base.

Posted Sep 17, 2020
  3. I didnt mean the ranked would rotate every month I mean as in a basically ranked arcade with those game rotations/

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 18, 2020
  4. Mineplex is primarily known for being a minigames-esque server. Yes, there are competitive options involved, and a large portion of the community is pretty competitive. My issue with ranked gamemodes on the server are that they breed toxicity and cheaters on the network. There’s no question that people will do whatever they can to get things like achievements, wins or better results- that’s why cheating is an issue, and more commonly on this server than anywhere else I see issues with stat boosting. It’s especially easier to do in gamemodes with a smaller population or smaller lobbies. This might sound irrelevant to the topic, but I feel like it’s relevant because people will take the opportunity to cheat or do anything to get those rewards. Creating rewards for only a certain set of strong players is going to encourage others to cheat, despite that obviously not being the intention.
    People are way more likely to try and gain an unfair advantage when rewards are involved- this both applies in real life situations, and on the server. I’ve certainly seen that in other scenarios where rewards are offered to a “small percentage” of players that there will be an upbringing of cheaters.

I just don’t think it’s a good idea to push a reward system for a small percentage of top players, because the idea of that encourages cheating. It’s a huge standout from a largely casual, minigame based server.

Posted Sep 18, 2020
  5. That makes alot of sense thanks for your input, Either way i think they should do something with elo and divisions despite there being a prize or not. Also I tried to make as many different games as possible so if someone is cheating a legit player still has a chance to win, Bomb lobbers, speed builders, and monster maze. But I can see your point so this might not be the best idea. Thank you for you're response.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 19, 2020
  6. Having a ranked elo system sounds really cool to have, but Implementing it would be difficult in my opinion. The server is spread somewhat thin as it is, so creating a new lobby (even for a smaller number of people) would just split things even more. Might also cause casual players to suffer, the ones that wouldn't want to play ranked at all. Basically everyone would want to try ranked if it came out so anyone that prefers to stay in normal lobbies would have empty games for a while. Some players might also view it as unfair that some games get the elo system, but their favorite games don't.

Ranking things by elo does have it's benefits of course. Wins don't tell the full story, far from it. Even adding other stats (deaths, kills, win percentage, etc) doesn't always give you an accurate measure of someone's skill level in a game. Now granted elo systems aren't always perfect, but I think that eventually players that got a lucky streak, or an unlucky losing streak, will eventually balance out to where they should be.

Your elo system has some flaws though that would have to be fixed. Just an example, but if the same two people always face each other, they could trade wins to infinitely boost their elo. One wins, +10 elo, then lose, -2 down to 8, win again 18, lose 16, ect. It'd be better to have the winner win the same amount of elo that the loser would lose. Also, having the amount change depending on both player's elo. Obviously a Master would destroy an Iron player, so the elo gained/lost should be much less, like 1 or 2. If the Iron player somehow won despite all odds, then it could be as high as 40 or something to reflect that. This would also fix the issue of elo match making. It would be impossible to always match a player with someone of their own elo, so having an elo balancing system like this for miss-matched elos would keep things relatively tame to avoid giant elo jumps for more skilled players.

Again, I don't think we'd ever have anything like this (plus coding the elo system, even if it's for normal games right now, would take a lot of work). It's a fun concept to think about, just not likely at this point. Maybe in the future though if our player count greatly increased and enough people wanted something like this.

Posted Sep 19, 2020
    ----------- likes this.
  7. Thank you for the input! Ill work harder next time for better ideas.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 20, 2020
  8. Anything ranked would just encourage cheating imo. I'm assuming you'd want to offer rewards, but that would incentivise cheating even more. Also I dont think it would get enough players aswell. A ranked idea is cool, we just need a better anticheat to combat people cheating for rewards.

Posted Sep 20, 2020