• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6125 Players Online
  • 3235 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Random Guesses

Discussion in 'Draw My Thing' started by Amisty, Jun 13, 2020.

1. I remember when I first played DMT it was fairly new, I became obsessed it was my absolute favorite game. I had memorized a large amount of the possible prompts and sometimes would randomly guess the word even when I absolutely had no idea what was being drawn haha. In recent years I have occasionally played but I still have my very old guesses in the back of my mind.

Posted Jun 13, 2020
  2. Yeah as someone who has around 70 wins in the game I can definitely relate to this. After playing more and more games you begin to know what words are in the rotation and can usually guess correctly when only a few letters are visible, so although you could consider it to be a random guess there is still some form of thought that goes into it.

Some top level players can guess unbelievably fast and accurately when little to no letters are revealed. My good friend @Thenorn is currently ranked 35th on the DMT leaderboards and having played many games with him I have witnessed this first hand lol.

Posted Jun 13, 2020
  3. I experience this a lot in games. Before the first letter is even revealed there's people who guess the word without skipping a beat. Sometimes I get mad at the limited skill involved in this unorthodox yet commonly used strategy, however, props to you guys and all the others who use this method, as I bet it does take some practice to become perfect at this.

Posted Jun 13, 2020
    Amisty likes this.
  4. There are players like myself who have played the game for long enough to guess words with few hints - sometimes a bit "randomly" - although there are different tiers in that group of people. Some know the words, but take the game easy. I personally try to look only at the board sometimes, or let someone else guess an obvious one (_ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ can only be "alarm clock") so there's a fair fight for the second spot. I usually lose to anyone who has got more than a few hundred wins due to this style of play, despite having close to 1200 myself. Then some use the technique of spamming words in party chat, which doesn't go through when you're not in a party, but the guesses still register. That way it isn't obvious that they're spamming the words. And of course, no one's really stopping certain people to aid themselves with word lists as well, so in them you get the fastest guessers, who essentially just farm stats and ruin everyone's games.

At the end of the day though, I still find DMT a relaxing game and it kept me on the server back when any other game would lag severely for me. So I usually try to play it fair and let others have fun too, without immediate guesses.

Posted Jun 13, 2020
    _NameTag_, Amisty and Dallarth like this.
  5. You guys are looking at the drawings?

Posted Jun 13, 2020
  6. I've been playing DMT a lot within the last year and I have to say that I've gotten good at guessing words most of the time. The drawing doesn't even help me most of the time, I just look at the hint. Most things I can guess fairly quickly, but I still do have the occasional brain fart when I'm rusty and haven't been playing for a while. I get accused of cheating all the time from low level and even high level players. I get hate sometimes and even accused of using a word list, which is just plain stupid. I don't know why someone would take the time to do that. But I really don't need to at this point. But overall, it's a fun game when people play it correctly. I just like to draw and show off my wacky art.

Posted Jun 17, 2020
  7. This is a rather popular strategy that is used by the players that frequent this game. It can be pretty smart for them since it could mean the difference between a few extra points to win the game and losing. There's certainly nothing wrong with it, though I can see where some newer players may be upset by it. Ultimately, if you have more experience with the game, you are going to be able to make a better guess regardless. In the end, more experienced players are going to be able to guess the word faster than those that are new to the game and aren't as familiar with the words. I know there have been several times in the past where new words were added to prevent so many players from knowing the words by heart, so maybe that needs to be done again in the near future. I used to use this strategy a lot and it also isn't always the most effective way to win since you can miss something when typing the words you know as the player is drawing on the board. It's all about a balance between the two in my opinion.

Posted Jun 22, 2020
  8. Yo!

I don't play much DMT but when I do I normally do terrible! I'm decent at drawing but not so good at guessing. Since I don't play a lot, I'm not sure what the word can be when the hints start rolling in so for my tactic, I just say random words that might relate to what the actual word is. Sometimes it works well but other times it doesn't help at all. But I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I can guess the word in the first 10 seconds, the people that can though have a true talent!

Posted Jun 23, 2020
    ItsFreeAsABird likes this.
  9. Hello!

Funny thing, I am pretty terrible at this game when it comes to playing with my friends. However, if you're someone like me and don't play it often; after a few games you'll understand that it's pretty common that used are often added to the game rotation every few, if not every other game. I feel that there needs to be a larger variety of words so the randomness of guessing starts to die down and real skill of the game can come into play. :)

Interesting topic.

Posted Jun 23, 2020