• 1395 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3479 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Question for aspiring trainees

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by GUNZxNxROSEZ, Oct 27, 2019.

1. This still has nothing to do with the thread, perfect example of someone putting in their two-cents even though it has nothing to do with the topic. I appreciate your response, however, in this case it doesn't add on to this particular discussion/topic.

Even though wishing everyone can have this mindset is impossible, I would prefer this. You comment on topics and posts that you feel require a good well-written comment and actually give an essay so people can read, not a sentence with nothing that pertains to the topic.

This is mainly what this thread is about to be honest. But this is also why I mentioned some people rather care about the post count and just getting that response in, even though they know it isn't going to do anything (unless they are providing more detail) they still do it. It's unfortunate and even though no one can do anything about it, it's just annoying to see. But that's just my opinion.

The post formatting (when I gave an example in the OP) was me just being a little sarcastic because almost every post I see that someone just rephrases the post before with an added sentence to make it "original" has it formatted like this. But I do get what you're saying.

This is valid, and I get where you're coming from. However, if the staff member is going to quote and lock the thread, and repeat what was said, there should at least be a system for that person to be recognized when it comes to people that actually helped. I know there's many people that post, and are confident they provided the best community help and then a Mod comes and says quotes something 2 posts after the first original well-thought out post.

For example, Xbox Forums: Marking the resolution
    [​IMG]
    No, this won't be seen as a competition. People already sit on the forums and wait to reply to the Help section, what would matter is the time and effort into each post. Thank god Quality Poster is gone, but for the people that actually put time and for the people that seeked help can at least thank that person themselves and the thread would lock, with the answer they marked as the resolution stared at the top with a note saying "The OP has marked this as resolved' or something similar.

This won't necessarily mean staff would be useless when it comes to the Help section, but it'll introduce a self-service option for the people that just simply need a response because lets be honest by the time a Mod replies and locks the thread with the answer/quoting the correct answer they person already did the steps listed in the comment to get their issue resolved, so a reply from a mod probably won't even be needed.

No I seriously want to thank you for replying, and bring valid points. More people like you would be greatly appreciated, having a debate in a mature manner. A lot of people may think I'm bashing people that do this, but I'm really not. I am just talking about it, and potentially trying to see if there's a way to get rid of this or limiting this.

I really do appreciate your response.

@Lila I hope I was able to rebuttal your post as well with my replies to Twist, you both seemed to have similar counter-arguments. I'm going to re-read it again and read this (ironic) post and update it if I have anything to quote you on and reply to. But same to you, thanks for your response, you actually took the time to comment and provide detail (iron because that's what this post is about) :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 5, 2019
    Twist, Fall and NothinButNetYT like this.
  2. Yeah I never really understood that. It feels much more natural to simply write each post individually without any more than the bare minimum for formatting. It's more akin to a real conversation rather than a bunch of back and forth letters or emails, which is how some people seem to treat their posts.

Posted Nov 5, 2019
    Mitchy and GUNZxNxROSEZ like this.
  3. Yeah welp we always have those people that attempt to go above and beyond but end up not really helping in the long-run.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 8, 2019
    Mitchy and Fall like this.
  4. What's poppin!
    Now to start when I was an aspiring trainee long long ago. The reason I always put that when creating posts was because it was a way I could help players without being in game, however if someone had already helped them I tried to not respond as I didn't want to repeat others. The reason I said to leave a like was so to me I know that I contributed and it helped someone. Instead of them responding "thx for the help" or something along the lines it never made me feel that I actually helped them.

Now as a staff member of course it annoys me to see the same response on threads over and over but each one of them are trying to help and contribute. Even if they're repeating what the other said it's fine by me, because even when they do repeat each other it shows that a vast amount of people do care about other peoples problems and want to help them.

Anyways that's just what I wanted to say so I hope this is what you were looking for.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  5. It annoys you because... you’re gonna end up having to repeat what they said just to “confirm” the answer or it’s annoying because you know that when there’s a 10 min gap between each response, giving someone enough time to read the previous comments giving the answer yet decide to just post the same thing trying to “help & contribute” (or so you say) when in reality they’re... repeating what was already said just to be seen as being helpful.

Seems a bit like post-boosting to me when it comes to a certain extent.

Im not really looking for anything to be honest, just an open thread that anyone like yourself is giving feedback & opinion on & can take a rebuttal without being butthurt about it. Thank you for responding, appreciate it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 8, 2019
    Vocaloiid and Xukuri like this.
  6. Is it unfortunate that people post only to "look good" or for the numbers? Yes. But, in the long run, is it truly benefiting them? No.
    If they don't enjoy what they're posting and what they're doing, they're wasting their own time and no one else's. There are a plethora of other ways that someone can contribute to the community and show they're helpful, and it's up to them to find which methods work best for them. I prefer to contribute in ways that make me feel productive and that I feel are worth my time, but not everyone has the same thought process and that's their own decision to make. Unless it breaks a rule, I don't see anyone as being in the wrong for what they post. However, I strongly believe that someone should genuinely enjoy what they post and that that should be their main motive behind it.

I'll absolutely keep this in mind when handling Help section threads, since it logically makes sense to give the credit to the person who made the most well-written and accurate post first. I'd like to think that I've always done this subconsciously when locking them, but I haven't done one in a while and can't remember for sure. Either way, I'll make sure it's something I personally look out for because it's only fair to those who responded first.

I would be on board with this. It sounds like it would be effective in limiting the number of repetitive or potentially incorrect posts on a Help thread, especially if the answer that worked for the OP was pinned to the top. I completely agree that a response from a staff member isn't particularly needed in many cases -- the only reason I brought up the argument I did was because of the "they're posting either way, so why not make it worthwhile?" notion I have. Many issues are resolved before a staff member responds to the thread, but without any system to mark a response as the most helpful, it's best that staff members do respond to the thread. Your idea would eliminate that while not changing the mechanics of the Help section much, since the OP would still receive the help they need and they would be able to select the response that worked best for them.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    FluteVegetables and GUNZxNxROSEZ like this.
  7. What was quality poster may I ask? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I still don't quite remember what it was. Was it a rank given for post count (causing people to post boost) back on the old forums? I joined the forums in 2016 so I might have missed it.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  8. Quality poster was introduced by Dctr_, the forum ninja administrator at the time, to promote quality forums. If the Forum Ninjas deemed a user worthy, they would receive a rank tag. Very fancy [​IMG]
    It was not granted on the basis of post count, however multiple factors. I quote:
    "An individual who...
    - has a fair amount of relevant posts (usually 300+)
    - is consistently posting on the forums
    - is frequently helping other users with any problems they may have
    - follows the forum rules
    - does not participate in arguments or flame wars
    - contributes to healthy discussions"
    Given the Enjin standard of post count, 300 was a minimal requirement - the other expectations held far more importance. The Enjin site enforced stricter post boosting rules as well, if I recall correctly. It was later removed, and now only exists in memory. :(

Posted Nov 9, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 9, 2019
    Twist and Xukuri like this.
  9. I see how this could be an issue. People who post boost **are** consistently posting on the forums, as well as helping people frequently (even if the person is already helped). They also follow the forum rules, usually do not participate in arguments, and I guess contribute to healthy discussion. This rank would literally be given to all post boosters, which would really be ironic.

I wouldn't mind it coming back, but it would have to be more like how it is on the discord server Mineplex Forumers where you have to have high quality too.

Posted Nov 9, 2019
  10. I totally agree and wasn't suggesting its return, just explaining the details of it as per your previous post. I think with the current leniency of post boosting this would cause an abundance of 'tryharding' for the rank, which would not encourage users to truly fulfill the purpose of the forums as a central zone for feedback, rather it would simply be a place to receive a tag. I do strongly disagree with the moral of utilizing a tag as a bribe to support a cause (in this case, forums with thoughtful posts).

Not extremely important, wasn't the Mineplex Forumers quality poster role exclusive to Sophie?

Posted Nov 9, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.