• 1197 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9635 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

PvP help?? [Java edition]

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Lopp_, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sounds like you're trying to play a "gotcha" game instead of discussing when you said this, to be honest.

This post got kind of long, so to avoid making a huge tower, I sectioned this off. If you end up responding with something as long, or longer, I suggest you do the same.

Also, this is really off-topic from giving pvp tips, but that's how it just goes sometimes.

"You avoided having to engage with criticism by turning it back on the accuser - you answered criticism with criticism."

Where did I turn criticism back on to you?

Summary of our exchange:

nero: Do you have a reputable source for this information?
    Evira: Look for it yourself
    nero: Here's the first page of google search, seems like the majority are saying it's not true
    Evira: Is this reputable?
    nero: No.
    Evira: You turned criticism back on me, tu quoque :D
    nero: ???

Also, I was not relying on the front page of google to tell me that the claim is false. Nor was I relying on it to tell me it's true. I also refused to just take your word for it.

I was trying to just say that I couldn't find the evidence that you told me to find. I should have made that clearer, apologies.
    "You judged something as either good or bad on the basis of where it comes from, or from whom it came."

I implied that you thought their comment is more valid because the person is claiming to have carpal tunnel, and that's not how you should think. That you shouldn't think that the content is good because of who said it.

I wasn't trying to say that their comment is invalid/bad because of their claim to have carpal tunnel, just that it's not above average.

At this point it seems like you want to just throw links to yourlogicalfallacyis.com when something seems to kind of apply to what I have said.

I didn't put the links there for nothing, I saw you committing logical fallacies and wanted to point them out to help you identify flaws in your arguments.

You on the other hand seem to be trying to make a comeback-post of some sort, and while I do understand the mentality, it's not the most productive thing to do. If I'm incorrect about that, my bad.
    "You presumed that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that the claim itself must be wrong."

Where did I say that you were wrong about jitterclicking giving carpal tunnel? The closest thing I can find is this:

Let's analyze this a bit more carefully.

"but it seems to me that the general consensus is that jitterclicking does not cause carpal tunnel"

Reworded: From what I saw from the first page of google search, the majority seemed to think that jitterclicking does not cause carpal tunnel

I'm sorry if the text was unclear, I understand that you might have mis-interpreted it if you read it carelessly. I should have made it easier to read.

Alright. I would have appreciated if you provided a link to the page, but no biggie.

(Note: in the following quotes, Evira is quoting the website linked above, with some parts bolded by Evira themselves.)

So basically resting your hand on a table, right? That puts pressure on the area. I'm not sure if tensing up your arm necessarily puts pressure there..?

Note: I am not a medical expert at all, but I can try asking our school nurse when they are present. That should be interesting at the least.

So basically how much you work with/use your hands

So yeah, typing alot, writing with a pen alot, moving around your mouse alot & clicking. Jitterclicking is not mentioned or even really hinted at on the page even once. Granted, it does fall under the definition of "using the same hand movement over and over", but so does using the keyboard, clicking normally, or using a controller.

Again, additional pressure referring to having your wrist rest on the table in an angle, probably not about tensing the arm up.

I don't know about others, but I personally have my wrist lifted up from the table completely when I jitterclick. But, others might jitterclick while having their wrist stuck to the table, so that's not really a valid point. Thought I might mention it anyways.

In summary, (read this if nothing else), that page has some valuable information about preventing carpal tunnel syndrome, like doing streches etc. It's not a bad source for general health information by any means, but it's talking about things in really broad terms, never directly referring to jitterclicking, clicking, or even using a keyboard/mouse in terms of gaming for that matter. That's not bad for the page itself, but it is bad for supporting your argument.

(End of Evira directly quoting the website.)

This is a disclaimer to avoid lawsuits/responsibility/being asked this over and over, not a reliable source for health information. The section is even under the headline "Help! I heard that jitterclicking may be harmful"

Note the wording, "Help! I heard that..."

This kind of seems to indicate that the disclaimer is there because of the same kind of rumours that made you believe it in the first place.

Super-summary of my whole response: You didn't prove your claim to be true, but that doesn't mean that it has to be false.

The best we can really do is to make assumptions and operate based on those.

You assume that jitterclicking puts more stress on your arm, therefore increasing the likelihood of carpal tunnel syndrome. Doesn't seem like an outrageous, unreasonable assumption to me.

But still, I don't make that assumption, because there is no solid evidence for it.

What I said in my previous post still very much applies here, so:

Posted Aug 21, 2019
    leo_thya likes this.
  2. And you fell for it gloriously xD

I'm not going to read the rest of your defense. I played your game against you. And now you've spent more time defending yourself instead of contributing to the thread since you're more concerned with your ego than helping DominatingPuma; exactly how I said you were going to do so, by going off-tangent :p

But remember, remain professional by leaving arguments and personal vendetta here. Don't carry it into the server, a place for games and fun. I hope that if we do meet each other in the server, we can still keep personal emotions aside and just enjoy the game with good sportsmanship. Have a good day :D

Posted Aug 21, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 21, 2019
  3. RIP this thread

Posted Aug 21, 2019
  4. i recommend jumping before you hit them so you land a critical. more damage, more knockback right?
    you'll be able to hit them back way further on the first hit.

Posted Aug 22, 2019
  5. Hey!

I too am in the same boat as you are, and honestly I would go to some easier servers like -snip- and practice there. One thing I noticed switching from -snip- to Mineplex is the skill level at Mineplex is a lot higher than -snip-. Heading to -snip- and practicing there could definitely help you improve and restore your old knack for PvP, then you could return to Mineplex to flex your new PvP skills.

One more thing if you don’t use it already is the fishing rod technique, it takes a ton of practice to get into, but once you master it it’s actually a huge help to you in PvP. If you don’t know what it is, essentially you’re switching from your sword to your fishing rod and using it to deal quick knockback, then switching back to your sword and dealing more damage. This basically enables you to hit from way further away as it gathers momentum.

- Hopefully I helped! If you have any questions or concerns feel free to message me! :)

Posted Aug 22, 2019
  6. Thanks for the help guys :) I have developed my own technique of PvP which I think is unique to me. Also I only play champions or maybe a bit of nano games so yeh :P I don't really enjoy games with rods. BTW, if you ever see me, I'm called Lopp_, DominatingPuma is my bedrock edition name for some reason idk why tbh.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 23, 2019
    Husama likes this.
  7. Glad I can help! :)

Posted Aug 23, 2019
  8. here are some tips to get better at PVP:

-FOV at 90-95
    -Jump hitting can cause critical hits which do more damage
    -If you have a fishing rod, snowballs, or eggs you can use them to knock them back which means you can get the first hit
    -Also, move around them and hit them from the side. This can help you get more hits on them before they hit you,
    -If you want to spend money, you can buy a gaming mouse which will speed up your clicking

hope this helped!

Posted Aug 25, 2019
    pzazz and Yato like this.
  9. Mineplex PvP is most likely different from whatever other server you were on. I've noticed when playing several different servers that Mineplex's hitreg and knockback are different from other PvP servers.

Posted Aug 25, 2019
  10. I think the reason I felt more Knockback was because I strafed when doing that.

Posted Aug 25, 2019
  11. How long have you been playing for?

Posted Aug 31, 2019
  12. I have owned my Minecraft account since 2013 but I started playing servers in 2014 so I have played servers for 3 years on servers because I had a 2 year break.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 31, 2019
  13. Okay are you still having problems with PvP? And do you have a gaming mouse or do you lag?

Posted Aug 31, 2019
  14. I have owned my Minecraft account since 2013 but I started playing servers in 2014 so I have played servers for 3 years on servers because I had a 2 year break.
    I think I'm fine now with PvP. My mouse is not a gaming mouse, it does not have buttons on the side I'm too lazy to buy one though. My mouse does disconnect for a second if I turn around too fast I don't know if that happens to others. Also I'm in default Minecraft with no optifine or texture pack however I don't tend to lag.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 31, 2019
    InfuiBoom likes this.
  15. Okay great! If you have any more problems feel free to contact me. I in fact play with a keypad and I am alright at PvP, if it laggs again, try turning everything but Minecraft on your PC. Hopefully that will work.

Here is my solution I borrowed to fix your mouse problems, it may or may not work:
    Go to your Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > and click on the "Device Manager" button.

In the Device Manager window, find the item or items labeled "Universal Serial Bus controllers." Open it, and double-click the first item called "USB Root Hub."
    In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog, click on the "Power Management" tab.
    "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked by default. Uncheck this box, and click "OK."

I hope this works for you, have a good day.

Posted Aug 31, 2019
  16. Personally I would use a fishing rod to knock them back- this sends them slightly into the air and increases their range, which means that you can then rush in and get some combos in where they can't hit you back. Keep practicing and you'll become good in no time ;)

Posted Sep 2, 2019
  17. Hey Lopp, I think I found you in a Champions Domination game here at Mineplex, you were really good. 19 kills is great man!

Posted Sep 2, 2019
  18. Wow I had no idea you were in that game! I think I might remember that.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 3, 2019
    InfuiBoom likes this.
  19. Yo, I'm going to just contribute a few of my small PvP tips, many other people on this thread have already made it very clear which is the best strats for combos and easily taking limited damage while adapting to Mineplex's combat, which is highly different to 1.9+ combat, and additionally, without block hitting.

- Install OptiFine, I know people have said it here, I've said it again. It's a great Mod that is really essential for even Vanilla Minecraft Singleplayer, not only does it enhance performance, give the option to purchase capes and a zoom key, but it also allows you to modify many more video settings which make your system run smoother and has integrated shaders support!
    - strafe, I know you already do this but try and loop around people by tapping 'a' and 'd' while quickly clicking your mouse and keeping your crosshair on the player, you can also W tap for a slight distance advantage and to take advantage over Minecraft's buggy combat.
    - ensure that you keep an eye on your ping, while there's not much to do about your wifi unless it's really bad or you get ethernet, ping makes it really easy to detect where you're going wrong in terms of lag, this means you can easily understand what is wrong with PvP in terms of your connection. Bear in mind, the bars in tab with the WiFi symbol are fairly inaccurate and don't actually represent very factual statistics.
    - finally, make sure that you're not trying to crit-hit too much. Jumping while hitting can be really distracting, while it can land a good hit (and if you are in a 2 block high space then spam jump and spam click and you can deal much more damage), you need to make sure you limit this as the other player then has a good chance to hit you at least 3 times.

So there we go, I'm not the best at PvP I'm no *God* but for playing this game about 5 years now I definitely know what I'm doing, and I'm a very experienced player in this regard! I hope these staple tips really helped you out :) As this has been addressed and to prevent the flame war that happened above from escalating if it does, I will now lock this thread. Have a great day and just ask for any more advice! :)

Thread Locked -> Concern Addressed​

Posted Sep 3, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.