• 1250 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7254 Players Online
  • 6004 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Premier Events for Cake Wars

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by Boulderelf, Oct 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ok, so I posted a thread not too long ago requesting the introduction of cake wars tournaments and I've had a lot more ideas since then. I've looked at tournaments for various other games and I really like the structures of some. I think there should be tournaments and events for cake wars. I think it would attract a lot of people and it would be very good for the server. It doesnt have to be cake wars specifically but cake wars is a game that wants to be played competitively.

So, first things first, I think it is very crucial that these events have stakes. Originally I thought this would be a perfect way for players to use gems that are otherwise useless to them right now but I disregarded the idea because I thought it would complicate it a lot in the sense that gems are very easy to get and not worth much. I think there should be a new kind of currency to enter these events. I think donors should start with a certain amount based on how high a rank they are. This does unfortunately exclude people who can't afford to pay for this but I think it is necessary so we are certain that cheating on alts isn't profitable.

The structure of the game itself was originally planned on being 4v4 but because of the stakes and how it might be not as easy to find a full team to play with, I think it should be 2v2. I dislike 1v1 because I think teamwork plays a big role in skill and I prefer 2v2 over 4v4 because it's not as easy to 2v1 and I think it would make it more skill intensive. As for the tournaments, I think there should be 'preliminary events' and 'challenges'.

The structure for prelims will be 5 rounds of the swiss tournament system. If you don't know what the swiss tournament system is, basically you get paired with people with the same record as you (for example if you won your first round, you will be paired against someone else who won their first round). After the 5 rounds are finished, you are awarded prizes based on your record. Entry will be something like 300 points. If you finish the event with a 5 win record, you will be awarded 600 points and 12 mythical treasure chests. If you finish with a 4 win record, you will be awarded 450 points and 6 mythical treasure chests. If you finish with a 3 win record, you will be awarded your 300 points back. If you finish with a 2 win record, you will be awarded 150 points. If you finish with 1 or less wins, you will get no reward. Prelims will have a minimum of 16 teams and a maximum of 256 teams. These events will happen regularly, maybe once a day from Monday to Friday. The weekend is where we get to challenges.

The structure for challenges is a number of rounds (based on the amount of teams registered) of swiss and then cut to top 8. How this will work is, for example, if there were 40 teams playing, there will be 6 rounds of swiss. After these rounds, the 8 best performing teams will play in a single elimination event (one loss and you're out) to decide the winner. There are websites and calculators that recommend how many rounds you should have based on the amount of people registered so that will be easy to figure out. Challenges will also be 300 points entry and the prizes will be as follows: 1st place will win 600 points and 100 mythical treasure chests. 2nd place will win 600 points and 75 mythical treasure chests. 3rd-4th will win 450 points and 50 mythical treasure chests. 5th-8th will win 450 points and 25 mythical treasure chests. 9th-16th will win 300 points and 10 mythical treasure chests. 17th-32nd will win 300 points and 5 mythical treasure chests. If there are at least 64 teams playing then 33rd-64th will win 150 points. Maybe these chests should be downgraded to ancient treasure chests or the numbers can be played with but this is a starting point. These events will have a minimum of 32 teams and a maximum of 384 teams.

This is all I have so far, I am very confident that this will attract a lot of players. Thanks for reading through this, if you have any recommendations or concerns, feel free to comment them. I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Posted Oct 17, 2020
  2. There is already a competitive league for Cake Wars afaik, and there are multiple servers that host Cake Wars tournaments with prizes, like this one for example: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/cakewarzone-recruitment.162724/. I don't see how creating an official Cake Wars tournament will benefit the server as only the most skilled players would actually join. The part of the playerbase that has the most potential to benefit Mineplex in the future are newer players who haven't purchased any Mineplex cosmetics and thus have the ability to buy ranks and other items in the shop later on. This seems like an environment for competitive players, which won't benefit Mineplex as much. This idea seems like it would require a lot of dedication and time, and doesn't seem to be that beneficial as said above due to the numerous amount of tournaments already being held. So overall, I give this idea a -1.

Posted Oct 17, 2020
  3. Thanks for the feedback! It is true that there are groups who are already doing tournaments but I think it would be a lot more accessible if it were something official. It is also true that new players would be excluded and these tournaments would only be for those who want to be competitive but I think having these tournaments would reward competitive play and might attract people to start playing more competitively. It also doesn't just have to be Cake Wars, Cake Wars seems like a good game to start with though but I could definitely see doing Micro Battles instead,

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 19, 2020
  4. Hey, there was a Clash of the Cakes tournament for CW a while back, hosted by CWCL along with MP. I agree that it would be nice to see more tournaments and official prizes hosted, so I look forward to seeing what the future holds in terms of large events for the server. This doesn't really belong in the new game discussion category but it'd be nice if MPS games were hosted as part of a tournament, though I would like to see more large scale tournaments - not just for CW but multiple different games. Thanks for the idea :)

Posted Oct 19, 2020