• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8030 Players Online
  • 5140 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed /prefs Descriptions

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Bobert2013, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Hey!

Just wanted to point out a small detail that I noticed in the /prefs menu - the inconsistency of descriptions on items.

These descriptions are really helpful at communicating to players specifically what the setting is supposed to do, as seen here:
    [​IMG]

However, a good amount of preference settings are lacking of this extra description, as shown here:
    [​IMG]

I understand that some of these settings are self-explanatory, "Private Messaging" being on and off clearly means whether or not people can private message you, but for the most part, extra explanations don't do any harm, and the consistency looks nice. Further building onto this, I seriously believe some of these settings are DESPERATELY in need of these extra descriptions. I have no idea what the toggle for "Hub Games" does to this day, and "Hub Ignore Velocity" does not do a good job at capturing the idea of disabling knockback in lobbies.

All in all, I strongly feel like this little bit of extra text (really easy to implement) would be really beneficial towards adding more clarity towards these preference settings, especially to newer players on the network.
    Please let me know your questions or comments!
    Thanks for reading,
    ~ Bobert / Erik

Posted Jul 11, 2020
  2. I agree, and this might be better suited as a bug report. Hopefully this is patched in the next update, it shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes to fix and i think players will appreciate it.

Posted Jul 11, 2020
  3. Hey there!

I agree I don't think adding anymore of these tiny texts would cause any harm at all and instead just more good. When you think about it most of the player base is probably kids in the higher ages but some of those little kids may not understand a lot of the stuff and this would help them to be understanding of what the setting is actually intended for. Some of them don't even have descriptions as you noted which is not really good, it looks kind of weird when some of them have a text under it and some of them don't. As you stated it's quite simple for some of them like the private MSG one but it wouldn't hurt to just add a ''allows players to msg you and not msg you.'' I really think this would a good little change to the server and it wouldn't hurt at all. Thanks for the suggestions! I hope to see more ideas soon. +1

Good luck on the rest of your suggestions!

Posted Jul 11, 2020
    Shipsa and ImFreee / ItsFree like this.
  4. I don't think adding small descriptions would hurt at all. The ones without descriptions are simpler and self-explanatory options (excluding the Hub Games option that you showed), but one sentence of text to explain them further wouldn't have any adverse effects and would also make the GUI more consistent and look better by having every option have its own description. This is a simple quality of life change and I don't see anything wrong with adding it if we ever updated the preferences menu (which I think we should - both to add more preferences and to iron out any little issues with it such as the "Game Mechanic Preferences" submenu containing preferences that aren't actually related to game mechanics at all - oops).

Posted Jul 11, 2020
  5. Hey there,
    As others above have stated, I agree that this wouldn't cause much trouble and will be beneficial for newer players. It would be quite simple to add a brief description of what the button does to make it easier for everyone, along with the aesthetic view of all buttons having a description. I haven't seen a thread with this same suggestion, so props to you! Overall, there isn't much negative feedback for this idea and wouldn't take too long to implement the brief descriptions. Thanks for suggesting and keep up the work!

Posted Jul 11, 2020
  6. This would be something simple for a future QoL update; much like you have already said, adding another description line to an item is simple, and takes seconds to do.

In my opinion, well designed servers have an established style that can be recognized. A descriptive-lore on each item in (certain) GUI's is a must. It is helpful for people who are new, or less established on the server and overall makes a network feel like the design had a lot of thought put into it. Small inconsistencies like this could come off as a lazy or rushed design.

While I am not sure if this will make the next update; as I am sure there will be many lined up for the developer team and I don't know how well this would pair against ones on the list so far, it should definitely be considered for one in the near future!

Posted Jul 11, 2020
    Shipsa likes this.
  7. I definitely agree with the other responses here, I think there is nothing that would prevent this from being approved as an idea, it's a consistency thing and would definitely improve the Quality of Life of the server. Special notes on prefs might be helpful too, for example, Immortals 'Hub Games' pref could include that it switches off stacking, which is a common question I receive in lobbies as a Staff Member.

Great idea and point about consistency, nothing that I could argue for it not to be added. +1

Posted Jul 11, 2020
  8. Yo!!

Thank you for bringing this up, for all players regardless of experience on the server the descriptions for most preferences should be required. There are a few I even struggle to understand at times. More specifically, some preferences I believe need descriptions are the following....

- Hub Ignore Velocity
    - Hub Games
    - Player Chat (Optional)
    - Private Messaging (Optional)
    - Display Party and Friend GUI

While the bottom three are pretty self-explanatory I believe that all five should receive some sort of description that can allow all players to understand what each preference does. Furthermore, it provides smoother and faster quality services on the server which is always a positive thing to have. Overall, I do agree that there should be descriptions for specific preferences as without them creates lots of confusion within the community. +1

Posted Jul 11, 2020
  9. I definitely think this is an awesome idea. I'm not really sure why every /prefs option has a short description that goes along with it - I understand that many are self-explanatory, but especially for newer and/or younger players I think this would be a good addition. The one that I feel needs a description the most is "Hug Ignore Velocity", as I'm sure many new players will have no idea what that is. "Hub Games" is also one I feel needs a description.

Overall, this is a really nice and simple quality of life change that I think would definitely do more harm than good. It would especially be helpful to newer players or generally younger players. +1

Posted Jul 11, 2020
    Sven likes this.
  10. Hey there! I totally think these descriptions should be added. This will really help players understand all the preferences, what they do, and more.

Posted Jul 12, 2020
  11. I agree with all the posts stated above. As they mostly stated, there is no harm with this simple quality of life change.

Even though some of the options are self-explanatory, I would want to see consistency with the descriptions in all preferences as well. This change might satisfy a lot of players, and I don't think anyone would complain about the change either.

I give this idea a +1!

Thank you for sharing.

Posted Jul 12, 2020
  12. Hello!

I do agree with all the posts as this is something that would be really helpful to add. Even though some of these are self-explanatory certain ones I feel would benefit the newer players by helping them understand them better and what they do. +1

Posted Jul 12, 2020
  13. I remember being very confused about some preferences back when I joined the server and would often ask about them, so this would help people to understand them more, especially newcomers, that aren't familiar to the server. It's a very simple yet helpful and efficient update to have and would boost the quality of the network for sure. +1

Posted Jul 12, 2020
  14. Yo!

I am thrilled to report this that this has been approved by Production! This change will be included in a future QoL. Due to this, I will be tagging this thread, as it has been approved. Thanks for your idea!

Posted Jul 31, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 31, 2020