• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Post Boosting + A quick message to aspiring trainees.

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by Heliology, Feb 12, 2020.

1. For the sake of not being warned for non-constructive criticism or general rudeness, I will be attempting to keep this as constructive as possible. I will be referencing posts as examples for post boosting below, all names will be cropped out to avoid any player being harassed or targeted for anything they have posted. I do not intend to put any hate to anyone with this thread, I'm simply just voicing my opinion.

Note: The first part of the thread will be regarding the removal of the post boosting rule, the second part will be my message to aspiring trainees.

A few months ago, I found out that the post boosting rule had been completely removed from the Forum Rules. Whilst this may have happened a while ago, I don't follow the server enough anymore to keep up with when all the rules are changed, but I found out when I attempted to report someone for blatantly post boosting near the middle of 2019, it was rejected since the rule no longer existed. What I want to know is, why was it removed? It was the main rule that stopped people from posting with the only intention being to increase their post count.

I browse the forums quite often just looking for things that I can put my input on, but if I don't feel that it's necessary or that it won't add anything, I won't post it at all. Though, I rarely like posts either, so I will either ignore it and move on, or occasionally I will like a post that summarizes exactly what my thoughts are on the discussion that is ongoing. However, over the past few months, I've seen a huge increase in the number of people that are posting stuff that is irrelevant to the thread, doesn't add anything at all to the discussion and just isn't necessary on the thread.

When I was part of the forum moderation team, post boosting as one of the most common things to look out for as it happened so much, people would post on ideas or anything with just exactly the same message that was mentioned above them, adding nothing to the thread. The amount of post boosting has decreased since then, but it's still one of the most common things you can see around the forums. So again my question is: If it's so common, why was the rule removed? The rule made a difference to the content that was posted on the forums, people would actually try to give their own opinion and add things to the threads, but now all you see is people trying to get as many posts as they can by posting stuff that adds nothing to the thread, instead of simply just putting a like on the post that they agree with.

The OP posted a thread in which he was advertising his youtube video, of which he was teamed on in Solo Survival games. At the bottom of the thread, this was what they wrote:
    Then, a player responded with this:
    [​IMG]
    This is just one example, but this is one of the most common things to happen on the forums, players posting things that have already been said, in the original post, or in one of the replies. It's one of the most obvious examples of post boosting.

My message to aspiring trainees:

I'm going to get straight to the point here. As someone that was on the staff team for almost two years, and someone who went through the process of applying for Trainee myself, I understand that you want to make yourself look as good as you can during the application phase, and even in the running up to applying. However, what a lot of aspiring trainees think is that having a lot of posts will make you look good, however, it's really the opposite.

I've mentioned this to a few aspiring trainees already and I'm saying it again, having a lot of posts will not make you look good if the community does not like you, or what you are doing. Your goal as a staff member would be to assist the community and give the best customer service that you possibly can, and I can assure you if you are disliked by the community, that will not be easy. When you're posting on the forums or anywhere, think about it and re-read what you're writing before you post it. If you have nothing to add to the thread, simply just add like the post that you agree with.

If you post something on the thread that doesn't add to the post, your community reputation will fall, the community will notice that you're an aspiring trainee, and if you're posting stuff that doesn't add to the post, you will be classified as a "trainee tryhard".

For anyone that doesn't know what a trainee tryhard is, it's a term used to describe those that are aspiring to become a Trainee but are being what's considered as "too professional". When you're aspiring for Trainee, the best thing to do is be yourself. The community is not very supportive of those that "tryhard" for Trainee and I can assure you they won't be afraid to voice their opinion on it, they will be rude to you and send you hate comments, so to avoid that, just be yourself.

Personally, as much as I don't agree with all of the decisions that are made by higher-ups, I am more than happy to support anyone that has the goal of becoming a staff member whilst I continue to play on the server, but if you are going to try to act like someone that you are not, I cannot and will not be afraid to call it out and give my thoughts, whilst trying to be constructive.

Posted Feb 12, 2020
  2. definitely agree with this post. so many trainee tryhards/staff put "hEyO" as some sort of greeting before their post and it can get really annoying. about the incident you said, i have to say that whoever posted that should’ve paid attention to the disclaimer. thank you dude

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Glummes, NothinButNet and Mitchy like this.
  3. I really appreciate this message coming from a staff member. I don't remember you from when you were staff, but I'm sure you would be one of my favorite staff members because of how clearly you express your opinion and enforce the rules in a reasonable manner.

Anyway, I agree with everything you said. While I know that staff members must be professional on the server, the definition of professional should be clarified. Some think that being professional means posting posts just as illustrated in this guide. I've noticed this is more common among new staff, especially Trainees. The older staff members either rarely post (and when they do the quality is decent enough), these probably just don't really care much about the forums, or post somewhat frequently (once a day), and the quality is very good. However, you mostly see the posts written by the post boosters, because, well, they post way too much.

I think this is happening because there were a lot of applicants in the older days on Mineplex, so the recruitment team could be a little more picky about who is allowed to become Trainee. There were still a few Trainee Tryhards, but they were never accepted, and the stricter post boosting rule caused them to get punished a lot. These days, the rule is so loose that players just do it, see that they don't get punished, and continue. Also, many players that get accepted post boost so Trainee Tryhards see that and follow the example, thinking that it will get them Trainee. It usually does.

I'm not going to write about how it can be fixed, it's needless. There are plenty of threads out there that have proposals, and while not all of them are perfect, it's much better than the system now.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  4. I'm not really in agreement with you there.

Greetings are greetings. Yes, someone might be "trainee tryharding" or is an actual staff member, but jumping to the conclusion that their post is instantly annoying because they include a polite greeting at the start of their post just isn't logical. I mean really?

I totally understand that the forums can be quite toxic at times, but god forbid that people are actually polite from start to finish for once.

I just don't understand why Mineplex seems to be the only environment that this is such a big deal in? For example when I'm emailing a colleague at work I don't all of a sudden just go "This is this and do this for me".. no. I greet them politely, wishing them a good morning or afternoon. Surely if we were going by your logic I should be classed as some "Emailing tryhard" right?

As for the actual main point of the post.. yeah it does happen. But can we please just have a round of applause that someone hasn't just made a thread to whine or complain about it and instead just be open and give fair critique regarding the topic? Personally, I think it's an achievement. Can we give this man a medal?

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  5. Great message!

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  6. Heyo!
    Unfortunately, teaming can happen in solo games. I suggest you report the players here, as teaming is not allowed. Hopefully this doesn't happen and the payers get punished eventually.

No, but in all seriousness, this is a general issue. I have seen so many people copying what other people say and it just doesn't make them look good. But what they do is type "Hope I helped" at the end. Very good points addressed here. Totally Agree with this 100% all the way.
    Cheers!
    ~Sean

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Acerna, awaitable and Wiz_Techno like this.
  7. This is majorly immature of both of you to single me out like that, especially since it's not actual evidence. If you would've took the time to read through the thread instead of pointing my flaws out, the OP did not originally state that it had been dealt with until I posted what I did; to further prevent people from mistaking the thread as a report they added the disclaimer. Also, when you exploit players like this, you aren't exactly adding anything to the main idea, sort of post boosting in your own way, but I'm not going to publicly address it as that. Anyway, I'm not overly a fan of your false post boosting executions, next time actually read the posts instead of correcting them. Hopefully, you'll reflect on what I've said and refrain from doing this in the future. Despite this, I have to agree that players sometimes post irrelevant content, however, occasionally it will be because players are trying to help to the best of their ability. Concludingly why the rule shouldn't be brought back.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    KerbalBoy, Sean ✩, Sven and 4 others like this.
  8. Personally, I'm not overly fond of this thread. Don't get me wrong, people can go a little overboard with the whole aspiring trainee thing, but this thread was kind of... rude and disrespectful in a sense. Now, I'm certainly not being rude by saying this, but this post really shouldn't have been made. It's a violation of privacy and it's exposure, as the "Example 1" was easy to find to say the least, and then Monkqy went and exposed the person anyway. That's incredibly immature actually and it's kind of sad to see this happening. So much controversy over this... and yet @xGetRektedx did nothing wrong to you. It's not really fair to just single him out like you did. You say you were an ex-staff member, correct? I believe disrespecting others is in the rules. Sorry if those last sentences sounded a bit mean, they honestly weren't meant to. I'm just a big angered that you decided to go and do this. Anyway, I see this as disrespecting a community member, as you did "expose" him in a way. I don't think it was right to do that. "Example 1" is completely inaccurate anyway. You used that, yet it isn't even a true example. The post that he commented on was edited after he posted it to confirm that the hackers were dealt with. Back to the idea of this thread, I see now why it was taken away. It's too easy for people to mistake a post that wasn't meant to be post boosting for post boosting. It probably led to too many problems. I don't agree that it should be brought back. Mineplex had a good reason to remove it. I'm therefore concluding my statement. I hope you both consider what you've said is wrong and that you consider what you say before you say it. Thank you.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    BasicT and xArcaneStorm like this.
  9. k then. i was only trying to point out a stereotype, not to bully someone for being nice.

and yeah sure y not we can give him a medal

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  10. I am not rules committee or have access to the backend parts of the network, my side of the story vents that Mineplex probably thought it was okay to can the post-boosting rule after the removal of the post leaderboard which was the primary source of encouragement for such actions. The scrapping of the post leaderboard was quite effective as that caused many post-boosters to be constructive. Your message to aspiring trainees does still reveal some reasons for people to post-boost and you were spot on. They think that this showcases their activity but still reflects negatively because reading their input is a waste of time and adds nothing to the discussion.

I would also like to add is that players should never publicly disclose that they are aspiring staff or else the toxic community will be like "oh hey, this person is aiming for staff, lets make their time miserable so they will react and ruin their chances." The same may apply for post-boosters as the community will likely see right through. Awesome thread nonetheless! Mineplex needs more players like you!

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    ScarletBlood37 likes this.
  11. I've got to be honest, I am very happy that you @Heliology have made a sensible, rule-abiding and constructive post on this issue that has been debated a load. To all of those Aspiring Trainees, keep on going - the work you do on the forums is great and to dedicate that time is impressive for a single role, but what Heliology has said here is definitely good, just read your threads before you respond to them.

Responding to threads with those kinds of answers can seem rushed and make it seem like you aren't trying your hardest for the role and you're incapable of following a staff member's role, which really isn't what anyone wants. I don't critique any of you as I admire that you do this for nothing and you are trying to make the server a better place, but this thread is accurate and if you follow it I would say your experience on the forums would be a lot better!​

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    neropatti, Im_Ken, Acerna and 6 others like this.
  12. As an "Ex-Aspring Trainee," I can tell you that making yourself look as good as possible is something that I've always been concerned about, and for reputation purposes. Since the base of "omg I might become a trainee" starts at the forums, I kinda tried to get a little more involved into it because 1, I enjoyed writing and 2, I enjoyed making friends and whatnot.

With that being said, I may be a little biased so take my feedback as a grain of salt, but I don't think bringing it back will do any good as post are just a number and honestly don't mean much to anyone but the really certain people around the community who for some reason are so concerned about it, like some trainee applicants and people who for some reason get annoyed at them. I'll still never understand why people get so angry over people posting what has already been said? You know, there's a like button and if you don't like what the person is saying, simply don't like it. I can understand if someone completely just quotes a thread and says "I agree" or litereally just restates what was already said but if it doesn't apply to you, then what the heck is the point of being so mad? Someone please tell me what the problem is.

I'm not exactly sure but I think @Marzie said something way way back about removing post counts which I think could be eliminate the frustration that people for some reason get mad about irrelevant content. So idk it's something that I just wanted to point out. (I was just pointing this out, wasn't a suggestion).

(This is extremely old so don't take this into account) https://www.mineplex.com/threads/post-boosting-where-you-stand-and-what-should-be-changed.51559/

(I'll try to be a little less rude here)
    Also, what's with the trend of people calling out people with goals of becoming a staff member. I cannot tell you the countless times where someone who thinks they are doing to right thing/thinks they are being smart decides to approach me telling me "trainee tryhard hater" quotes like "your post counts don't boost chances" or "typing with capitals doesn't make you look special" or "stop post-boosting." It honestly frustrates me to see people bring up irrelevant content from the past to literally bring you down for absolutely no reason. If it's not constructive, click the delete button and if it is, please, please send it to PMs. I know a lot of people think that public criticism is what needs to be learned, and yes, you are right. However, you need to remember the player base that stands here on Mineplex. You are talking to 12 - 15/16 year old audience on average on the server and you are angry that they are a least trying what seems to work to get a volunteer position on a block-game? Smh.

Quote me for questions, thanks.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Oscaros_, Jocoe, Acerna and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lol ok on a more serious note:

I do agree on the fact that post boosting is more common now than it was before. I also agree that many may do it just to give a better impression on the staff, but I don’t think the rule should come back either. I personally don’t think it was enforced properly. A lot of people were warned for post boosting even though they had no intended means to post boost. And even if it’s easier to just like someone else’s post, it doesn’t really promote discussion. Additionally people may just repeat what other people have said just to build off of their posts.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  14. LOL

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Acerna, NothinButNet and xGetRektedx like this.
  15. well I got a warning for "spamming" because I made one word posts (which other people do and for some reason don't get warned but I do) and it is kind of like that. I said "yea" and it was considered spam for some reason, I think maybe the same could be said for this type of thing, maybe instead of warning people, the forum ninjas or staff could just give them a heads up that you should try to not make unnecessary posts. That's why my good man @Wanderer made a thread on recommending to just hit the like button instead of repeating a message that already addresses the same thing. My good sir also implemented a short note below where you would comment that says that you should just leave a like if you agree with what was said and what-have-you.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  16. Not all threads need to be responded to. If there's a thread where you can't add anything relevant, just don't reply.

Same can be said any other rule. There's always going to be gray areas.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Acerna, NothinButNet, Monkqy and 4 others like this.
  17. Yep, I agree with this, especially if players reply to a thread they have no knowledge about.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  18. then why do you reply to every thread repeating everything already said?

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  19. That’s an overstatement. I don’t repeat everything the users have said; I usually add on to what they’ve said.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    BasicT likes this.
  20. still doesn’t contribute to the thread. i think there’s something called the like button which is useful to show agreement!!!!!!!! anyways, im going to stop here because we may be starting fLaMeWaR

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Mitchy, Monkqy and NothinButNet like this.