• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2333 Players Online
  • 2333 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Pokemon rant but not really a rant (I just want people to be nice)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hazeae24, May 25, 2019.

1. Disclaimer:
    All of the Pokemon that were used in this thread were simply used for explanations of how people view different Pokemon. My own personal opinion on all of these Pokemon are positive. I don't "dislike" or "hate" any Pokemon, really, I just have some that I like more than others. (Nihilego is my fav owo)

I'm going to be talking about how people consider many newer Pokemon "unoriginal" for being based off inanimate objects even though many Pokemon from every generation has some Pokemon that are based of these objects.

Generation 5 is notorious for being the generation that brought so many "bad" and "unoriginal" Pokemon to it, but is that really the case? Well, no. When people say Gen 5 had "bad" Pokemon, they often turn towards the inanimate object Pokemon. For example, they always list Trash Bag Pokemon Trubbish (and its evolution, Garbodor) or the Fresh Snow Pokemon Vanillite (and its entire evolutionary line) as being unoriginal, when many Pokemon that have been introduced over the span of all generations have inanimate Pokemon.

The most people that I heard complaining about this are a group of people called Genwunners. But wait hazeae24!! What is Genwunner?!

Genwunner - An individual who refuses to accept that Pokemon generations after the first Generation, Red, Blue, and Yellow (or to some extremists, not even Yellow), is enjoyable or has good designs of Pokemon

Now, before all the fans of Gen 1 come after me, I am not saying that everyone who enjoyed Gen 1 is a Genwunner, as Genwunners and fans of Gen 1 are different. I loved Gen 1, and especially enjoyed its remakes, but I am not going to go out of my way to bash another Generation just because I think one is superior. For example, I am a HUGE HUGE fan of Gen 7 (SM/USUM), but not the biggest fan of Gen 6. Am I going to bash it and say that X & Y were horrible games and everyone should just forget about them and play SM/USUM? Heck no. X & Y were good, just not my favorite. Regardless of what Gen people like the most or dislike the most, we shouldn't bash other gens for it. Most of the people who happen to bash Gen 5 for unoriginality are Genwunners, however, not every Genwunner is like this. I'm only talking about the "extremist" of them.

Genwunner ≠ Gen 1 Fan

Anyways, back to the main topic! People always say, "Gen 5 Pokemon suck!11!!1!! They are so unoriginal!!11! There is a TRASH Pokemon and an ICE CREAM Pokemon!11!1"
    Like, okay. Yes, Gen 5 did add a few inanimate object Pokemon, but didn't every Gen do this? Let's look at inanimate object inspired Pokemon introduced from the different Gens. To make this short, I am only going to put three Pokemon per gen, as listing every single inanimate Pokemon would take wayyy too long.

Generation 1

Geodude:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here, in Gen 1, we have some inanimate object based Pokemon. In my personal opinion, these inanimate object Pokemon are far more unoriginal than Gen 5. Here we have Geodude, a rock with eyes put on it; Voltorb, a literal pokeball pokemon; Exeggcute, literally eggs. Now now, I am not saying these Pokemon suck because of their design, since I think they're pretty cool! I don't hate any Pokemon, or targetting these ones specifically for being "bad", but I find it ironic how many of Gen 1 Pokemon may be considered "unoriginal" but people only seem to point at Gen 5.

Next Gen!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now we have Pokemon based on other inanimate objets from Gen 2. Here, we have Pineco, a pinecone; Sunkern, a seed; Togepi, another literal egg. Hmm. That's interesting. On to Gen 3!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, Gen 3! One of my favorite gens from childhood. Here we have Chimeco, one of James' Pokemon from the anime, a wind chime; Seedot, a seed; Lunatone, a moon. Hmm. There sure are a lot of inanimate Pokemon....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gen 4, a wonderful game with such a wonderful soundtrack! Here, we have Drifloon, a balloon; Shieldon, a shield; Cherubi, a cherry.

So, I think you guys understand where I am coming from, right? I could go on and go into Gen 5, Gen 6, Gen 7, but I'm going to leave it as it is. Anyways, yeah. I just wanted to make a thread highlighting unnecessary Pokemon hate. Sure, we might all have different opinions about Pokemon but we should just come together and celebrate the games as it is instead of bashing on games (and people) for liking or disliking stuff. So yeah. That's about it from me. I just want to say that even though you might not be the biggest fan of certain Pokemon or their gens, there's no need to go on and spread hate like that. The world has enough hate as it is, so let's just be happy that we were born in a time where Pokemon exists :DD

TLDR: Even though you might not like some Pokemon or their gens, it isn't a reason to bash Pokemon or people. Let's just enjoy the game and be glad that it unites us gamers.

EDIT:
    I forgot to put a pic of Trubbish and Vanillite so here you go:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted May 25, 2019,
    Last edited May 25, 2019
  2. Gen 1 literally had a pigeon and a rat...

Posted May 25, 2019
    SkarmMines and Shaiymin/Shaiym like this.
  3. Oh my, and I can't stress this enough, god.

From an honest perspective, I haven't been up to date with pokemon SINCE Gen 5. And quite honestly, I really did enjoy gen 5. Regardless if its generation has more inanimate object than other gen. I really like the pokemon and how they were portrayed in the show and game. As I said, I haven't kept up to date with the newer series and pokemon, but I've seen the Pokedex for them and honestly, I don't hate them.

People who are usually fond of the older generation are people who deeply latches on to their childhood memory, and I understand. I mean, my favorite generation was the pokemon from Diamond and pearl but I'm not going to go out there and say that's the only superior one. I feel like pokemon fans need to understand that more and more pokemon are going to be made and you can't just stay with a generation forever because where is the fun in that.

I agree with this thread a lot. Nice thread.

Posted May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 and Shaiymin/Shaiym like this.
  4. With Vanillite's evolution line being one of my favorites (As well as Vanilluxe being my favorite pokemon overall) I'd be biased in agreeing with you, but oh my god yes. I have no issue with the newer generation pokemon, and I enjoy a lot of them as well. I'm not sure what's the huge issue behind them honestly. Sometimes I heard some really weird reasons like "Pokemon is copying Yokai Watch with it's inanimate object catch-em-alls" which is just a really dumb explanation in my opinion. Anyway, maybe @FireStar might enjoy this thread.

Posted May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 likes this.
  5. #StopHatingOnInanimateObjectInspiredPokemon. Ok in all seriousness, I agree with this thread on many many things. You’ve clearly pointed out quite a few inanimate object based Pokémon in each generation other than Gen 5, so we need to just stop the hate and love Pokémon. I mean if people want to complain about how newer Pokémon are unoriginal, then look at Gen 1. In Gen 1, we literally have a rat-based Pokémon named Rattata (creative right?), a caterpillar Pokémon named Caterpie, and Ponyta which is literally a pony on fire which looks awesome but you get the point. In regards to inanimate Pokémon in Gen 1, you have Tangela which is a bush :thonk: maybe? And Magnemite which is a ball stuck with 2 magnets. If we skip to Gen 3, we have Nosepass which is a rock with a big nose.

Anyway I love all Pokémon too and also think we should just stop spreading unnecessary hate on cute Pokémon from other generations as well. I mean for one, Trubbish is one of my favorite Pokémon, the heck why are people hating on it. I honestly really enjoy some of the newer generation Pokémon and especially some in Gen 7 like Bounsweet and its evolution line. Awesome thread fellow gamer, thank you for bringing this up.

Posted May 25, 2019,
    Last edited May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 likes this.
  6. I agree with this thread a lot. I've been following pokemon largely since gen 2 and I always found the inanimate object discussion kind of ridiculous. Every gen has their inanimate pokemon and they all serve their purpose. Gen 5 certainly isn't my favourite (cough vanilluxe is amazing cough), but I think it gets a lot of undeserved hate. My favourite gen, 7, one of my favourite mons is a palm tree...

Posted May 25, 2019
  7. ok but Trubbish and Garbodor are still hilariously bad

Posted May 25, 2019
  8. There's a hedgehog one named Togedemaru and two squirrels named Pachirischu (Bad Pokégese*) and Emolga.

*Pokémon language

Posted May 25, 2019
  9. I think some are getting confused on what exactly is an inanimate object Pokemon. Pidgey and Rattata aren't inanimate object Pokemon as they aren't just objects, they're animals. Inanimate objects could be seen as sticking a face on a candle and saying "done" (sorry Litwick).

There is a video out there showing which generation has the highest percentage of inanimate object Pokemon and it ends up being Hoenn. I actually like inanimate object Pokemon because in your mind it's easy to picture them in the real world. I grew up with the Gen 5 games and absolutely loved them, with Black 2 being my first game. The only anime I ever enjoyed was Pokemon and it was great until Gen 7, where they stopped battling a bunch and it was more of screeching Pokemon running around the entire time. Regardless, Gen 5 has some of my favorite Pokemon that were part of my childhood, even if they come off as unoriginal to most.

Posted May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 and MerrryChristmas like this.
  10. Yeah, I think every generation has its strengths and weaknesses. For all you Genwunners out there, Gen. 1 introduced a lot of strong Pokemon that would make their way into both the game metas for generations to come and into the general Pokemon culture; it has the most memorable Pokemon out of any generation. However, being the first generation, it also struggles with a lot of uninspired Pokemon that are just recolored versions of everyday animals (Pidgey, Rattata, Zubat, Seel).

Gen. 5 is the same way. Though it does have its misses as far as design choices go, I think the bigger criticism that can be made of it is that it takes inspiration from earlier generations too much. For instance, the Tympole line resembling the Poliwag line; the Cubchoo line being an Ice-type version of the Teddiursa line; the Pidove line resembling the Pidgey line. However, Gen. 5 also has a lot of strong designs. Serperior, Gigalith, Krookadile, Carracosta, Scolipede, Cofagrigus, Galvantula, Eelektross, Chandelure, Haxorus, Golurk, Bisharp, Braviary, Hydreigon, and Volcarona.

It just comes down to nostalgia glasses honestly. My personal favorite generation is Gen. 4.

Posted May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 likes this.
  11. Omg I love this!

I totally agree with everything you have said. I never understood why people were so angry with Gen 5 and I even saw it with Gen 6 and Klefki (.... I mean he isn't the prettiest looking pokemon but he is a little cutie) and I think Trubbish is amazing and I loved Vanillite's line and thought it was a pretty cool idea. I am a huge fan of Gen 4 which people seem to bash a bit because of the pokemon and lack of fire types and stuff but I still love them all and Cherubi was actually one of my favourite pokemon!

I understand that some people may not like certain pokemon but I think the best thing about Pokemon is that a pokemon you may strongly dislike or think doesn't have a good design is someone else's favourite pokemon and I always remember that whenever I see a Venomoth *shudders*. But I think I am good example of this as I love a lot of the unusual pokemon that people don't usually like or don't take much notice of such as Aipom and Dustox and many more!

But in conclusion, on a serious note I think it is time that the Pokemon community come to their senses and realise that there is nobody better than this guy right here...

[​IMG]

Posted May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 likes this.
  12. Honestly, I don’t play Pokémon in general, but I love them so much! Although, I don’t see what is wrong with all of the Pokémon generations. I wish if I was a kid, and loved to play all of the Pokémon older games. The first Pokémon I played was Diamond and Pearl and it was Generation 4. Haze, I agree with everything that you said in your first post!

I don't have any dislikes for some of the Pokémon types, but I like almost most of them.

Posted May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 likes this.
  13. Look at this: [​IMG]

Posted May 25, 2019
    Jaekub likes this.
  14. BLESS YOU HAZE FOR THIS THREAD

In all seriousness, I completely agree with what you are saying. As a long-time Pokemon player myself, I've never really hated a Pokemon based on its design. Sure, there are designs that I like more than others, but I've never really had a problem with any design. I dislike Garbodor, but not because of its design; it's always used competitively against me and it makes me rage. I've never had any issues with Vanilluxe either. I love ice cream, so what's with the hate on an ice cream Pokemon? I think hating a Pokemon based solely off its design is unreasonable.

As for your point on Genwunners, yeah they're annoying. Hating a Pokemon because it isn't Gen 1 isn't very nice. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE gen 1. I love all the Pokemon in it and hey, it's the gen that kicked off the series. But I love all other gens as well. Gen 4 is my favorite gen.

Posted May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 and Jaekub like this.
  15. It's funny because I think Black and White honestly had one of the best storylines and everyone overlooks it because of how ''bad'' the pokemon in that gen are, which isn't even true if you look past design, which isn't bad either. I always felt like B/W was always the most complained about game and I never really understood why, but what can you do, I guess.

Posted May 25, 2019
    Vocaloiid and hazeae24 like this.
  16. What I meant was that it's funny that people make fun of newer generations for being unoriginal when they have always based Pokemon off of basic shtick. I'm plenty aware of what an Inanimate object is lol.

Posted May 25, 2019
  17. But how can we forget the Magnemite evolutionary line from Gen1?

I know a lot of pokemon are based off or have traits that other animals, plants, or inanimate objects posses.

CHARIZARD IS JUST A FIRE DRAGON. SQUIRTLE IS JUST A TURTLE. ODDISH IS A PLANT.

But it's stupid to think that a Pokemon is "unoriginal" just because it is based off an inanimate object. How is that any different from being based off of an animal or plant that already exists? A lot of time and effort goes into designing every Pokemon and people should respect that.

Posted May 25, 2019
    hazeae24 likes this.