• 785 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3364 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Please improve GWEN bans

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by NoHacksJustGavin, Nov 24, 2019.

?

Should GWEN ban hackers longer on first?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. Then I think GWEN should ban hackers for 45 days on second and 60 days on third. Also, I think Combat hacks should count as a severity 3 client offense because it's the most common type of hacking that ruins gameplay.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 25, 2019
  2. The ban duration for GWEN isn't to teach hackers a lesson. It's to ensure they don't hop back on in a few minutes. I'd have to say 90% or more of GWEN bans are people hacking on alts. These people have hundreds of alts at their disposal and will continue using them. Increasing the ban duration just makes the legit player's life harder.

Posted Nov 25, 2019
    Xukuri and Mitchy like this.
  3. The same thing can be said here. Hackers don't care if it's a permanent ban or a 1 day ban. They have the supply of a practical infinite of Alt accounts to cheat on. Why should they care? Frankly, the punish system has no need to be adjusted. What needs to be done is continued updates and fixes to the anticheat, Gwen.

Posted Nov 25, 2019
    Mitchy and SpitefulNick like this.
  4. I think 5 days is sufficient for a first offense. I don't have access to the statistics and whatnot, so if anyone does please correct me, but my guess is close to 90% of hacking bans are alt accounts making the time of punishment really irrelevant. IMO 5 is enough to scare any would be hacker on his main straight, while also making it short enough for them not to quit the server, especially if it happens to be a false punishment. I think rather than focus on punishment length, we should be focusing on getting the hackers banned in the first place- still waiting on a Gwen dev to come save us.

Posted Nov 25, 2019
    Mitchy, Im_Ken and MerryNeverLie like this.
  5. Well I heard that hacking on 10 alts results in a network ban.
    --- Post updated ---
    But if they do hack, then they deserve to be banned.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 25, 2019
  6. Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion on how we could improve GWEN; however, at its core, the main reason we won’t be implementing this is because of one simple factor: Most hackers do not care about the duration of a hacking ban, as they will just move hover to another account. Currently, people can use multiple compromised accounts per day and still be going for the next few years with how large the issue is.

Though, you might argue this could be helpful since it would keep those accounts banned for longer, it can be harmful to others if GWEN suspected them of cheating when they were actually legitimate. Sadly, no anticheat is perfect, and they are all prone to mistakes at sometimes, but implanting this in would cause many people to be upset with their punishments handled by GWEN.You mentioned that 5 days is too lenient for a hacker, though it is very likely that hacker will sadly be back on the server within a few minutes.

Finally, I have seen some confusion on this in this thread, so I’d like to clear it up: Ban evasion is only punishable if you are arguing your punishment on an alternate account after being told to appeal. In these cases, you’ll be punishing accordingly. I’ll be marking this as not planned, so feel free to DM me if you have any further questions or concerns. Have a new idea? Sweat, send in a new thread!

Posted Nov 26, 2019
    Glamourized, Mitchy and Jaekub like this.
  7. I think GWEN should catch the hackers in the first place ;-; I played a game just the other day and this guy went soaring through the air and ate my cake in the first 5 seconds of the game... Didn't get banned till I called a mod lol. Poor GWEN
    --- Post updated ---
    In my opinion however, although it would be rough on the staff team, it would make the best experience for the players if they were to "tweak" the GWEN anticheat a bit every so often so that hackers will have to keep making new hacks to use their annoying "antiGWEN" cheats and would therefore give mineplex less hackers.
    --- Post updated ---
    Although this may not be possible, it's a good idea am I right?

Posted Nov 26, 2019
  8. Of course GWEN should catch hackers in the morning first place, but there's not alot we can do about that, unless you're a developer.

The reasons AntiGWEN hacks work isn't because the hacked client developers have a romantic knowledge of GWEN, so slightly tweaking GWEN probably wouldn't do anything, as far as I know.

Posted Nov 26, 2019
  9. Yeah true
    --- Post updated ---
    :gwen:

Posted Nov 26, 2019
  10. Like @KerbalBoy said, due to lag and bugs, this would be a ridiculous amount of time just to wait for an appeal or an unban from a staff member. By the time it gets reviewed, you will be either unbanned of denied. And, as @AceSJus said, hackers do not care about punishment lengths, and come back with a separate batch of alt accounts. I would have to disagree with this post

Posted Nov 26, 2019
    AceSJus likes this.
  11. I'll be honest, I think that may not be the best of ideas. From what I understand so far, it doesn't matter how long you ban them as the bans are easily evaded. This idea is going to hurt the players, so that will be enough to further motivate them to quit the server.

Posted Nov 26, 2019
  12. Hey!

I'm going to summarize what everyone said. First of all, there are so many compromised alts that banning hackers for longer won't even put a dent in their numbers. They don't even wait for their alt to get unbanned to use it again, they just move on to another alt without a care in the world. Secondly, many false bans go on throughout the network to innocent players. Since (As said above) Gwen isn't perfect, this can't be added because It would only make the false bans worse. Finally, (This is related to the second reason) appealing isn't easy without video evidence. Not everyone can get video footage of themselves being falsely banned so the staff can't fully trust you, no matter what relations. If you get falsely banned and don't have video evidence, you're not going to be happy having to face the consequence you didn't deserve which in this case is 30 days. Hope this big conclusion helped you change your mind! I have to give a -1 though.

Posted Nov 26, 2019
  13. Welp! You guys are right. False bans do happen a lot, and it would be a problem if GWEN bans were longer.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 26, 2019
  14. Looks like the majority agrees with our current system which I personally agree with as well. We have this system in place just in case innocent players do get banned and can't appeal it. Those who continue to hack will rack up more bans which can lead to more severe consequences.

Will be marking this as not planned because we don't have plans on changing the intervals at this point in time.

Posted Dec 2, 2019