• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7547 Players Online
  • 4657 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Please give us the option to silence taunts

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Glitchy, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Honestly I find these extremely toxic and don’t see the benefit of having these before you say “B-BuT tHe TaUnTs ArE hArMlEsS wHeN iT’s NoT tYpEd OuT”

that doesn’t make them less aggravating and/or toxic, if I mute chat it wants me to mute commands too to avoid the taunts, so honestly this is not beneficial especially since I could imagine someone with a CRAZY SHORT fuse getting toxic right off the bat with this, part of the toxicity I’m seeing in the server is actually because of the taunts

Posted Jul 14, 2020
  2. Hey,

It's a taunt. They're "taunting" their opponent. It's doing what it should. It's not as serious as what you're making it out to be, if it really bothers you or upsets you that much then turn off your chat or use a client that has a chat filter and filter out the word.

Posted Jul 14, 2020
  3. As @ezlee6 said, taunts are there to taunt players. While this might be somewhat annoying, in certain circumstances, there is a decently long cooldown, so no individual player can actually spam /taunt. Furthermore, I don't believe any of the taunts are mean or "toxic", and are mostly made for jokes and to have fun.

The only thing I could think of is to maybe increase the cooldown time, but it is already pretty long as it is.

Posted Jul 16, 2020
    ezlee6 likes this.
  4. taunts are literally to aggravate the enemy lol...calm thy self have a popsicle

Posted Jul 16, 2020
    WowTamman, xGetRekted, Kira P and 2 others like this.
  5. Hey,

While I can understand where you're coming from, I disagree. Allowing the option to toggle taunts off wouldn't exactly ruin them, but it would devalue the purpose of them being created. They weren't created as a use to be toxic, nor do they come across as that sort. They were added for fun, and to add some personality customization to yourself. To give your character some personality, and to add an extra element of cosmetic fun to the game. The taunts weren't added by any toxic means, and I personally have never been frustrated by taunting directly at me, never mind using the taunt in general, and I know i'm not alone when I say that. Because of that, and the other variables I mentioned, I disagree with the idea of allowing this to be toggle-able.
    In the end, this would devalue the reason taunts were added by Mineplex. They weren't added any under toxic means, they were added for fun, and silencing them would simply ruin the point. The best advice I could give is to just ignore them if they bother you this much. As well as that, If they become an issue, you could simply turn the chat size down to make it invisible, while allowing for the ability to use commands. While this may be inconvenient, it is the only situation in the near future as we currently don't plan on implementing the option to disable or silence them.

Have a great day!

Posted Jul 16, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 16, 2020
    ImFreee / ItsFree likes this.
  6. Taunts are pretty annoying when purposely used to aggravate someone. Especially when a closet cheater does the "too skilled to be banned." but other than that, some of the taunts have large explosions and particles that sometimes hinder gameplay in a way.

Posted Jul 16, 2020
  7. I would disagree with being able to disable taunts. The main reason for this is because taunts are actually a cool collectable that some people pay a bit of money for (through the Immortal rank or for chests in-game). If we were to allow people to ignore taunts it might make less people use them because they don't have any reaction in chat (not saying they always have bad reactions or people being upset, more playful reactions).

I don't see the whole getting upset over a taunt, it's just a taunt and really doesn't mean much at all. I certainly wouldn't get upset if someone used it because I know it's just a cosmetic that they've earned and are using. Sometimes missions require taunts as well!

Posted Jul 16, 2020
    thinkfused likes this.
  8. I mean, I’m not against it but I can understand the annoyance and it’d be nice if there was a way to turn it off I guess, but it doesn’t really bother me that much

as others have said its just a line in chat and mainly just once per game lol, it’s just a thing there to add interaction and besides does it cause much damage to you? I guess you could /ignore perhaps if it really got on your nerves or something :)

but yea I’m in the middle, it’d be one of those nice to have things but I don’t really see it as a huge thing

Posted Jul 16, 2020

9. yes cause “is this easy mode” is TOTALLY not toxic

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 16, 2020
  10. Well its not toxic a large majority of the time. The toxicity usually happens in champions for me. I don't really mind, but sometimes its mildly annoying when I get targetted and 3v1ed and all of them have the "is this easy mode" taunt and they taunt after they kill me, as well as shifting repetitively. And since the cooldown is only 30 seconds, they can spam it 10+ times a game, but other than that, it's not that bad. :squint:

Posted Jul 16, 2020
  11. Really sucks that this idea is getting poor feedback. /taunt is EXCLUSIVELY a tool to tilt other people. Saying "it's not THAT toxic" is not a valid way of dismissing that it IS toxic.

Thirty seconds doesn't matter at all if that's the time it takes to kill someone for a second time in a row. If I kill/taunt/kill/taunt someone in SSM they tend to throw the rest of their stocks at me no matter what. Is this somehow not an emotionally exhausting exchange? I sympathize with players who just wanna vibe but get thrown for a loop by the toxicity of some members of this community ingame, which is apparently not an experience that most of the people in this thread can relate to???

...Is this easy mode? I'm not gonna tell you that there's no way that /taunt could ever be a playful act but I've been "easy mode"d excessively by a player who was saying literally nothing and it made my face go red irl. Are you saying that this experience wasn't real? Or that I need thicker skin as a person? What is wrong with ME that /taunt is toxic?

It's fine to have an optimistic outlook on other people's actions when it comes to toxic behavior but it's just really not the experience I have anytime I get taunted on after dying. I don't see a purpose for it other than to make me tilted

+1

beeb

Posted Jul 16, 2020
  12. Hi
    I see a lot of complaints about taunts - the easy mode one in particular due to it being provoking for some people. I do see the frustration with this. While I don't really mind it, I think one big issue people have with it is the inconsistency with the rules. I've seen many people muted for "ez" repeated multiple times, and the taunt is essentially an equivalent of that (when used at every cooldown reset, which is very common). This is something that I might not agree with, but it's the rules part I don't like - not the taunt's message. There's definitely a bit of grey area with "ez" punishments, so I'd rather that get sorted out and have the this is easy mode taunt line up with punishments.

But that's beside the point. When people overract with the taunt, it sounds like their problem. Yes, it's not a very nice message, but it's not angering either. If you have a short fuse, there are going to be far more infuriating messages than a message that wasn't even sent by the player - it was designed by Mineplex and is a cosmetic, not someone typing it out by themself. It's important to wrap your head around the fact that it's not the player saying it themselves when they use the taunt.

Besides, the majority of taunts are fine and I think the option to mute them all because of one is a bit silly. If it receives a lottt of negative feedback (I see it around once a year, honestly), removing the taunt sounds like a better solution than the ability to altogether toggle taunts off. There's no point in having them if people will just disable them.
    I think this might make it worse. People might begin to use it not when the cooldown ends, but when they actually mean it due to how long it'll take to have access again.

Bear in mind that this is one of many taunts. Why disable taunts altogether instead of writing more specifically about the taunt that's causing problems?

Have a great day!

Posted Jul 16, 2020
  13. I'm sorry but if you can't handle a little taunting and you think it's toxicity in a block game then you shouldn't be playing if everything annoys you.

Posted Jul 17, 2020
  14. I disagree, but only slightly. I agree, taunts are use to taunt, but you gotta admit that some of them are purposely BM (bad manners) taunts. For example, the one where it's "(player) thought to themself, is this easy mode?" you can't tell anyone that this isn't the same as typing in chat, "ez" or "lmao ez mode" Mineplex should remove taunts like this which are toxic, and promote BM-ing. Simply removing these BM taunts and replacing them with more friendly, non-toxic taunts would be a better idea. My personal favorite is the trick or treat one. (D1smay gives out treats/D1smay does a trick) This taunt doesn't promote toxicity and is simply a fun way to try to get your opponent to do something. anyway that's my suggestion thanks.

Posted Jul 17, 2020
    Eqsa likes this.
  15. That experience wasn't with the easy mode taunt. I'm not asking for all taunts to be disabled for everyone forever, I'm only asking for an option in /prefs to allow them to not show up on a personal level, like the OP asked. TLDR, your argument just doesn't apply...

And besides, I want to offer up arguments in a way that pragmatically enforces the right kind of discussion here. If I were to point out which taunts I thought were the only ones worth dealing with, the next person might offer to me which taunts are REALLY the most toxic, even though we would be in agreement that taunts should be allowed to be disabled. Not productive, especially in an online setting when people tend to be purposefully dense to make themselves look good in a debate.

That's the thing here - I don't think that the easy mode taunt to be changed in particular. By far the most elegant solution for people who want to vibe but are interrupted by toxicity is to always have the option to turn off chat and turn off taunts (which is not yet an option)! That's all I'm here for.

And while I'm here I just want to point out once again that turning off chat is an option already. You can turn off all player messages in every room server wide, but you cannot turn off taunts. Even people with chat turned off completely are forced to see /bc and all taunts. There's plenty of reasons why you might not think that turning off chat or turning off taunts is a bad or poor choice. But none of your reasons should disallow someone from having this option.

I can sympathize with turning off taunts FAR MORE than turning off all other chat. It takes little effort to implement and it's convenient for everyone. Remind me why even people with legitimate anger issues should be disallowed from having this option? Isn't Mineplex for everyone? I don't care if you have a million reasons why you shouldn't turn off taunts. The fact that there is at least a single good reason to means that some players are in need of this option. Those reasons aren't being validated in this thread, and they're instead being dismissed as invalid, even by the staff members who are meant to be a positive and protecting force. What up??????

Sorry to get fired up, but this thread frustrates me :(

-beeb

edit: I want to be specific in what I'm arguing for since I think there are legitimate ways to misunderstand what I think should be implemented. I think that by far the easiest and most effective solution is simply to add an option in /prefs to remove the in-chat part of taunts for anyone who is uncomfortable with them. As a result you would still see fireworks and wither skeleton people, just without the extra text in chat. That's it.

Posted Jul 18, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 18, 2020
  16. Couldn't agree more. The taunts should always be seen no matter what, you should not be allowed to toggle them off. I'm glad we agree.

Posted Jul 18, 2020
    beeb likes this.
  17. Hey!

I did some digging and realized that this idea is already processed as seen by this thread. This means that this idea was already accepted by production and could potentially be added in a future QoL update!

As such, I will be marking this thread as processed.

Thanks for sharing!

Processed

Posted Aug 5, 2020