• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Please Change Eclipse Town

Discussion in 'Block Hunt' started by GuardianGarrett, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Eclipse Town is a favorite choice among Hiders because it is relatively easy to win on. Most every skilled player does the same tried-and-true strategy: Climb up one of the 6 tall structures long before the Hunters are released, and then just stare at the 1(sometimes two) one-block wide paths leading to them, arrows ready.
    The way the common hiding spots in this map are built give Hiders quite an advantage over Hunters to the point where it isn't fun to play on, but frustrating as a Hunter, and is often picked back-to-back.The two tall towers in the center can be very easy to defend/difficult to approach as Hiders can shoot anything coming across the leaf-walkway/up the stairs or play Ring Around the Rosie at the outer wall until the Hunter's easily knocked off and all the way to the bottom from the very small ledge. It would be nice if certain changes were made to the map.
    Changes such as making the upper rooms in the towers not only be able to be accessed by one-block wide ladders and stairways that are easily spammed with arrows. Maybe widen the stairs, or change the way you climb up from ladders to an incline. I'd suggest making the highest levels of each tower connected, either by a set of bridges or by making an entire upper floor that is accessed through the four corner towers.
    Turning those towers into supports for a large room/new floor not only create something more for the Hiders to play around with rather than the same old strategy, but would also mitigate the nuisance of Hiders being able to shoot from a high ground with little drawback.
    Only other thing I've got to say is that the moat(or whatever that body of water surrounding mid is) is a death trap that I don't feel really adds much to map play/exploration. If a Hider is knocked into it somehow odd are they'll die, but that's highly unlikely as most would already be high up by the time Hunters are released. If a Hunter falls into one, they're likely to be harassed with arrows from up high having much difficulty getting out one can be easily knocked from the ladder with an arrow. Trying another set of ladders is annoying as the water makes for slow movement. Even if someone wanted to say "Just use /kill", there being a part of the map that wastes so much time and can make it necessary to /kill is not good. It might be best to alter that aspect of the map altogether. That's all.

Linking a video of certain 'problem spots' that are hard for a hider to challenge, leading to un-enjoyable matches.

Posted Jan 30, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 31, 2020
  2. I'm going to let you in on one of my secret techniques. Two words: Leaper Axe. There are various leap points you can take advantage of to get to the hiders. My favorite one is the fence leap. Easy and satisfying.

~ Gamer

PS: Velocity exists. Hit a hider enough and they won't get that water.

Posted Jan 30, 2020
  3. I like the idea of connecting the towers via some sort of sky bridge. I think that that would add another fun element to the game, as Hiders would have to work together to watch from different sides of their spots in the towers. However, I'm not sure that this change is a necessity. Although this map does give Hiders an advantage, I'm not sure that adding other drastic changes to it would be necessary. There are plenty of other maps that give Hunters and advantage such as The Museum, Vineyard Mills, and Thames Square. These maps give advantages because there's not many places for Hiders to group up and stake out. I know a lot of people that love to play as Hiders, and they immensely dislike these maps because of these reasons. However, it's hard to create a perfect balance between the two Block Hunt roles. Some maps have advantages for Hiders as well as for Hunters. Other maps, like you've described or the examples provided above might weigh advantages a little bit onto one role.

While I think it would add a cool element to Eclipse Town to add sky bridges connecting the towers, I don't think that changing things like the moat surrounding the main area would be necessary. I know that it's important to have balance in a map, and Block Hunt does provide quite a few that do well at this such as Cookie Town, Pirate Island, and Riverwood.

Maintaining balance within a game map is a good suggestion that you've created here, but I think that we should focus more on introducing newer maps that have better potential at this than altering existing ones.

edit: wording.

Posted Jan 30, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  4. Yeah, don't really care for Museum, and the current Thames(this iterations just has too much random stuff in the way). I never play on Spadazzlin. And I wish Vineyard had a little more to it, like a large structure near or in place of the tractor near the barn. They're all either very or a little too easy to hunt on.

I use Leaper almost exclusively. I was thinking of mentioning that even when you use leaper for an unorthodox approach, you can easily be knocked off of those thin ledges if someone sees you coming.
    Which fence are you talking about, Ghoast?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 31, 2020
  5. I do not agree with the bridges feature... It already doesn't work very well with the leaf bridges between the statue and the two middle towers. Most maps are one sided. I find this interesting, as it's fun to sometimes play a hunter map and play as an aggressive hider. I don't think all maps should be balanced because of this. Sometimes, it's nice to be able to change things up and have an easy time hunting on a map like Hidden Fields, where there aren't very many good hiding spots; I also have a nice time actually hiding on the roofs of Pirate Island without a very large threat of hunters, as most times on this map I don't die if I'm not aggressive. What I'm trying to point out is: The unbalanced-ness of the maps of Block Hunt are a nice feature to me, and to other veteran players. I don't want people taking my point and saying "exactly the point, the maps are unbalanced." This reply is to sort of boost unbalanced maps.

Posted Jan 31, 2020
  6. Hi,
    I think definitely agree with @_Zomb_ but I also think that eclipse town is pretty balanced. There are a lot of good hunters that don’t have problems getting up those spots you mentioned. As @Ghoast said leap is the key factor in this. Another thing I’d like to add is that a group of chickens, depending on how good every chicken in that group is, is op on any map but still can be countered easily if you know what you’re doing. If I play on eclipse town I usually hide since thats my usual strategy on any map and most of the times I get found if there’s a decently good hunter in the lobby. Usually i manage to escape using smoke bombs but sometimes i end up running right into another hunter. So although eclipse town offers some good hiding spots, it’s not that easy once you get found.
    One last thing I’d like to add is that currently I think the system is pretty balanced because the same amount of people are in Hunter and Hider queue usually.

Posted Jan 31, 2020
  7. I get what you're saying. Variety(how 'easy' a map is to play on) is definitely nice. Sometimes you do wanna go to vineyard or museum for a relatively easy/calm match. But I feel like that variety should come from the play-style you choose in that given match. Like being aggressive, or smartly hiding in a quiet corner But then there might be less room to change things up for hunters(besides what kit you use for the match's majority) since their only job is to kill. And yeah, I should mention I was thinking flat wood for the bridges, not like the bumpy leaves of that center tree. I think there'd also have to be something like fences or barriers to keep people from sniping at the top of the map/getting shot off the bridges. They'd just serve the purpose of letting people travel to/from the other towers hunter and hider. Maybe they'd just be a square sorta like Thames' outer rim, or their could be something of a cross-hair shape to the bridge in the middle. Maybe just raising the water-level of that moat would be good. Maybe bridge like that would be too much in practice. I just can't really stress how annoying it can be to play on ET as a hunter. What am I supposed to do when there's a hider sitting in the spots at 0:25 or 0:47? If you go up to hit them up close, whoops they pushed you off the small ledge with a hit or arrow thanks to right-side peeking and now you're at the bottom again if not dead. If you try to shoot them from a distance, unless your arrow's knockback prevents them from doing so, they'll just run around the corner and now your only hope is to climb to the top again and repeat. TNT has it's use, but can also cut off the path up to the hiders as well since they destroy ladders and the stairways are thin. Actually, maybe tnt's the fix to that spot. Except that unless you're a leaper, you're probably not getting up there safely anyway :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 31, 2020
  8. The spot at 0:48 can definitely be devastated by TNT

Posted Feb 2, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  9. Honestly, Eclipse town could be a bit balanced by widening the staircases and some other minor details to improve gameplay, but other than that it is perfectly fine.

Posted Feb 2, 2020
  10. I definitely think what you are saying has a good point, I think it honestly is kind of boring to go up the stairs and get bombarded with hundreds of arrows in a single go. Likewise, the stairs are usually destroyed when a TNT hider is helplessly trying to go up the staircase. However I think that Eclipse is a fairly balanced map. They just need to make the pathways to the tops of the towers bomb-proof. I know that some of the corner towers are only accessible through the stairs so I think that the tents should be a block or two higher so that there are multiple places to attempt an ambush. In general I think a nerf would be more appropriate for Atlantis (which was actually already done) even further as well as Nakoji. It would be nicer to see something implemented or improved for hunter kits since some of them are quite lackluster and under-powered.

Posted Feb 3, 2020
    crazygeek516 likes this.
  11. There's another tactic called timing. Just saying y'all

Posted Feb 7, 2020
  12. Dude, you've gotta elaborate. That's far too vague a statement.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 7, 2020