• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9636 Players Online
  • 6746 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Please add /report

Discussion in 'Bedrock Ideas' started by Beets, Feb 11, 2020.

?

Should we add /report

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. In the recent weeks, Minplex hackers have been running rampant! Having a /report command could be an easy fix to alert the mods to come look. I know we can report the hackers on the website, but a much faster solution could be this command any thoughts?
    Edit: This could also include Gadget abusers, Skin glitch, rule breakers ect.

Posted Feb 11, 2020
  2. yeah would be amazing if the report command actually works :joy: :joy:

Posted Feb 11, 2020
    LitL LunarVoice likes this.
  3. Hey!

I think your idea is really interesting! I don't personally play Bedrock often however as long as there are no specific reasons not to add it I would love to see it be added. The /report command in the Java addition helps us staff members moderate the server more efficiently so it would be great to see on the other platforms.

You mentioned you are aware that you can report players on the website, so for those that are not aware you can report players at www.mineplex.com/reports and the great Bedrock staff members on the reports patrol team will handle the report and punish the player when needed. This is a great way to help us prevent rule breakers so please if you ever have time please report players, it really helps!

Posted Feb 11, 2020
    LitL LunarVoice likes this.
  4. I definitely think this idea can be implemented. I think this feature should start by only being available to Duke/Duchess and then rolled out to lower ranks once the staff team can handle all the reports coming in.

Posted Feb 11, 2020
  5. There are not enough bedrock staff members for /report to be effective.

Posted Feb 11, 2020
  6. This has been suggested before and my opinion is the same. As another player has mentioned, there are only about 12 Bedrock staff members for the community base that can sometimes exceed 7000 players consecutively. Half of these moderators are not required to be ingame because of their senior moderator team. From first looks, the cheating problem on Bedrock is quite serious and is made worse by Bedrock's lack of anticheat and reliable way of tracking and finding players as private communication between staff and the player is severely limited unless the conversation is being carried out on a third-party application such as this site and discord etc. The issue I see is when you have such a small ratio of staff to such a high consecutive player base, it can take a serious toll on the moderator's dedication because the demand is so high for players to be helped out and for cheaters to be dealt with. In the case of a report command, it would only make the situation quite disastrously worse.

What you have to remember is that the Bedrock player base is very young compared to Java's. This means that the players may not fully understand how to properly make reports, how to deal with cheating players or the general differentiation between a cheater and a legit player. Now from experience as a Bedrock moderator, we received reports from Bedrock players about all sorts and sometimes went very off-topic such as players complaining that the person was on a PC so it was unfair (This was through website reporting). An ingame reporting system could make this worse because you're giving the option to thousands of players to do easily, and even if you do limit it to the purchasable ranks, then you'll still have young players possibly abusing the system. So what are the main flaws with a command like this? The command could be abused in many ways, spamming, making troll reports, false reports and more are all factors of this but there is also the fact that the influx in reports may be so great, that the backlog of reports may cause most of the cheating reports to go marked as expired as the cheater has left the server or already been removed from the server by another moderator.

As far as Java goes, you can be report banned which stops you from being able to report players ingame or on the forums, but you'd be looking at report banning possibly hundreds of players who are too young and immature to understand how the system works and the impact of a troll report. The main issue with this is the predicted influx of reports. If you look at it from the player's side, people can get hackstuated constantly and people will report them, this will create reports. Then you have the people who are actually cheating and thus, creates reports. The report command feature only tells staff the name of the player and what the player has been reported for, it does not give evidence and the staff have to teleport to the player and get this manually which takes time. With reports repeatedly flying in, you'll be looking to see hundreds of reports doing expired due to them not being able to be looked at in time for the target to still be on the server, and then players will complain about the report wait times being too long and reports not being got to.

Don't get me wrong, a system like this would be amazing for chat offences! Kudos to this idea for that, but at the same time, chat offences are seen much more rarely than they are on their Java counterpart and so a feature like this would be underused. Java also adopts the chatsnap method which allows you to snap the chat so it makes it more difficult for evidence to be forged against players (Which warrants a network ban). On Bedrock this would be exceedingly difficult given the developer's current backlog of new games, updates and bugs that they need to code before something like this would be thought about in production.

This is why we have forums. In my eyes, a report command would be a good idea but on a complete tangent to this idea. I'd prefer it to give a link to the reports section of the forums, not an ingame feature. This would stop report spam and make it easier to report ban players and store evidence of cheaters if needed. At least that way, evidence can be looked more in-depth and the report will follow a readable format with players that are actually able to report. But with that, it still runs to the problem of the majority of Bedrock players not knowing how to actually record and upload evidence to the reporting site which poses as a big issue in itself as there is no linked guide before you do report; like apply.mineplex.com (Which takes you to the Becoming a Trainee post).

In conclusion, I don't support the idea because it could lead to issues with deliberate false reports, accidental false reports and then too many expired reports with this hypothetically not being a great feature for the Bedrock server given it's tangency to Java. I believe the site does an excellent job of collating the reports and evidence, but at the same time, more information is needed to get players reporting. Like I suggested, a link like reports.mineplex.com which tells you how to record and give evidence of rulebreakers to the correct forum would be more beneficial for management reasons and would stop report expiry while at the same time, helping other teams too by allowing them to do background checks on players (viewing reports the players made, viewing reports players have made against the player etc). Currently, it's a -1 from me. Keep up the ideas though!

Posted Feb 11, 2020
  7. Hey there.

Reading the replies above, some of which include possible issues, I think I have my opinion on this idea.

Essentially, not every player wants to create a forums account, although it doesn't take long. But, if a player wanted to report a player in that moment, instead of taking many minutes to create a forum post, that would be a +1. Above, someone mentioned possible issues with false reports, or accidental reports. One solution to the accidental reports could be having confirmation screen(s) when you want to submit the report. As for the false reports, there are already more than likely false reports on the website, so really, that is something that is unavoidable.

The layout I was thinking for this was:

/report <player> <reason>

It is quick, sweet, and gets right to the point. This will make it easier to file reports quickly. A possible feature that could go along with this is having the reports go directly to a website report, or a discord channel, which only staff would be able to see. But, overall I do generally support the idea. Like every other suggestion, there are going to be issues, this is something that is just unavoidable. Above, @MachoPiggies mentioned having it give a link to the direct website. If the command to file a report in game does not turn out, it would at least be beneficial to have this link to the website provided.

+1

Posted Feb 11, 2020
  8. Loving to hear the positions you all are taking! @MachoPiggies you are right in the fact that there are only 12 staff and with the amount of reports could exceed 2500+ per day; Which by itself would be an overwhelming amount. I've thought of a system that might work a little bit better. I saw on a video how the staff have /p and when they enter the command it brings up 2 rows of 4 with each row having subtitles "Not exactly sure what they are". For the idea I have maybe the implementation of that could help with the crazy amount of people /report ing, this could also help the staff prioritize which report is important. Along with all of that you could also implment a ranking system where the amount of reports puts it higher on the list to be prioritized. BUT there is one problem with all of this that community needs to understand, The moderators do more than just ban people. You are a trainee and understand this! A lot of behind the scenes action going on, which most players will never see, which can be hard at times especially if there was a /report command. Still I would like to see it implemented! But thanks for the feedback!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 12, 2020,
    Last edited Feb 12, 2020
    OnceSpoken likes this.
  9. Now that skins have been visible instead of the white usual skin we used to have, every game has an invisible player and it needs to stop. It stops players from having fun and that’s why we are here in the first place. It’s kinda getting old so I think we need our white skins back. Of course it’s not the best looking skin, but it’s all that we have to make an equal and fun game.

Posted Feb 12, 2020
    DaPBillk (On Break) likes this.
  10. As a Bedrock Moderator, I'm 100% in support of this. I feel that a /report would really help out the moderation team find hackers more easily than how we currently do it.
    I understand your point however, I believe that the majority of players on the Bedrock Edition are children. When I was younger, I believed it to be easier to just find another game without the hacker versus sending a report in on the forums. A /report would be more readily available for players to use as I feel that players are more inclined to use commands versus visiting the forums to report the hacker. As with backlogs of reports, perhaps reports could be prioritized by date and then by the number of reports of a certain user? Although not perfect, it would isolate more obvious hackers (or just skilled players! Really, it depends on the number of reports for the user) from just false reports.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  11. Hello,
    I do see things from all perspectives above and i think there can be a balance or work around for most cons to this idea however implementing it would be a whole other story.
    I think it's a great idea but would need to be fine tuned to prevent things like false reports and spam etc, as others have mentioned our staff base is very small and most staff only play a few hours a week due to real life commitments. I think a good system would be ranked or certain ranked players could do /report, if 5 or more individual ranks report a player then it alerts the system and makes a collection of names while also alerting staff currently online, staff could also do a /list to show all reported players currently online so staff could look into them at any time and once banned or cleared they would be removed from the list, any names not handled within 30 days would also be cleared automatically. Unfortunately as great as that would be, it would take a lot of Dev time and there's just so many other things that need to be focused on as this is more of a luxury idea than a necessity. I can understand some players are unable to report through forums or feel like its too time consuming but for now it is still the best way to deal with rule breakers. +1 for the idea though, the more tools we have the better we can help improve the quality of the server.

Posted Feb 13, 2020,
    Last edited Feb 13, 2020
  12. Thank you guys for all of the feedback!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 13, 2020
  13. Hey!

Unfortunately there are going to be hackers on Mineplex, as there are on any server, it’s something you will have to grow accustomed to throughout playing on any game. While we do try to cut down on the amount of hackers you run into while playing, we can’t account for everything, as we aren’t always going to be somewhere there is a hacker, which is why reporting on the website and on the discord exist. Although these ways to report do exist, they aren’t always convenient, especially for Bedrock. /report would immensely change things, as it would trim down on more hackers and it is more user-friendly than reporting on our website or discord. Reporting on the website is great, unfortunately some people don’t know it even exists or they cannot record evidence to report someone. As for Discord, the bedrock audience is seemingly younger than that on Java, so it’s unlikely someone will even have discord at their disposal. /report seems like the best of both sides in my opinion, so thanks for suggesting this! I’m happy to inform you that this idea has been approved by our bedrock developer and will be added sometime in the future, so I will be marking this thread as processed.

Thread Processed

Posted Aug 8, 2020
    shipsahoy | Shipsa likes this.