• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Denied Player of the Month [POTM]

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by joerock777, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Do you like my idea?

1. I like the POTM idea

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. I don’t like the POTM idea

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. I like the POTY idea

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I don’t like the POTY award

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OHLEGO

OHLEGO

Hey Joe, listen I like the idea however I do think its a little complicated trying to do this. Im not sure if Mineplex would exactly agree to just giving out random free stuff, but that's not my decision. But I really do think this is a great idea! Keep posting things like this I will respond as soon as I can!

Posted Dec 13, 2018
  2. Animalll

Animalll

Hey!

This is a great concept. However, I do not think this idea would work. I believe that it would make players more competitive and make Mineplex more toxic since the whole server is competing to be the player of the month and possibly even player of the year. This could work both ways, but I think it would make Mineplex much more toxic and just wouldn't work. There will always be bias and in my opinion the people voted in for 'POTM' would be people who have the most influence in the community.

Thanks for the post.
    -Animal

Posted Dec 14, 2018
  3. Islendingurinn

Islendingurinn

Yeah for sure, but I just don't think the original idea is feasible with the amount of work staff members are signing up for already.

Posted Dec 14, 2018
    Vocaloiid likes this.
  4. landay

landay

Yo,

This is actually a really interesting concept. I don’t believe players should be nice for the sake of rewards, I think they should be nice because it’s the good thing to do. However, a community member getting recognized for their hard work in game or on the forums does actually seem pretty cool. Others have made a lot of good points as well, like players stop being nice after getting the award. I’m kinda in the middle for this idea. It’s really interesting and makes the community feel noticed, but also has many flaws and could be abused. I don’t really think it’s all too necessary for the server at this time either, so that’s could also factor in. Either way, cool idea man.

Have a good day!

Posted Dec 14, 2018
  5. joerock777

joerock777

What about no prize for POTM but a prize for POTY?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 14, 2018
  6. Fall

Fall

Doesn't solve the fundamental issue of choosing players and something like this causing unnecessary controversy.

Posted Dec 14, 2018
  7. Zipppo

Zipppo

That doesn't really have an impact or give a solution on the issue of bias voting through whoever are in charge of doing so. At the end of the day, if a player is doing something for a prize and that's their only motivation then it just simply shouldn't be implemented or encouraged. If you have the right intentions then prizes won't matter to you, and you'll enjoy helping where you can with the community anyway. I do see and appreciate you working on and trying to develop your idea though, so good job with that.

Posted Dec 15, 2018
  8. joerock777

joerock777

@Zipppo sorry for the late response I have been busy recently,

How about this, since people are denying the idea because of bias and stuff like that lets think about it, at least people helped the community for a bit than not helping at all!

Another reason I came up with the idea
    I made a thread a few weeks ago called “what do you hate/love about Mineplex?”

A lot of responses for the negative part (hate) was that they were complaining the community needs a small bit of improvement and they would like more players to contribute and help people around the server.

I personally agree that this idea might not be permanent if it is implemented but instead it can be implemented for a small amount of time (maybe a few months) and then we can all see if it worked out as it was meant to be or not!

It is better to try something than not trying something at all (it won’t do anyone any harm)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 18, 2018
  9. Zipppo

Zipppo

Hey again, that's no problem!
    I personally don't believe that someone should be rewarded for doing something for the wrong intensions. Of course players helping others should be encouraged, but it shouldn't be forced upon anyone, if they don't want to help out and their heart isn't really in it then it shows.

If we implemented it some people will get upset due to the amount of players we would have to pick from - it's bound to happen. It would also take time to set everything up and we never really came to a conclusion about the voting system - how it would happen and who would be allowed to vote. Before we try anything out we really need a solid plan and need to know how everything is going to work out. If we implemented it for a few months, a very small amount of players would receive POTM. Which would be very unfair on anyone that was trying for it, if anything it would be demotivating.

Posted Dec 18, 2018
  10. Sven

Sven

My question would be how would we measure what 'best' is? Is best helping players in lobbies? Is best being good at games and getting on to the leaderboards? There are thousands of players, how would we ensure everyone has an equal shot at getting it?

These were all similar problems for SOTM. Although I like the idea, it would be difficult to measure it and ensure it is administered fairly and justly.

Regardless, it is an interesting thought experiment.

Posted Dec 18, 2018
  11. joerock777

joerock777

@Sven i mean the people who help people around in lobbies, not games because that would encourage cheaters

OP OP
    Sven likes this.
  12. Sven

Sven

Definitely a fair point. My point was that it's hard to define what is best and how to administer this fairly. I do like the idea because I am a policy student, I guess it is harder for me to conceptualize the concept in a realistic context.

Posted Dec 18, 2018
  13. joerock777

joerock777

@Zipppo i also forgot to say to you, and everyone else

I have planned this whole thing out more than you expected! :)

I am so prepared I have my private criteria so this will stop people choosing other people who don’t deserve it. (Sorry, I cant give any details about the private criteria because it is private! :D)

OP OP
  14. Sophie_OGrady

Sophie_OGrady

No criteria stays private, that's just how it is unfortunately. A criteria within staff members is most likely not gong to stay private (depending which group, if it's Trainee+ it's likely to be leaked however with SrMod+ it's less likely). If this occurs within staff, how is a criteria which many community and staff members will know going to stay private? Especially when it was created by a community member, which wouldn't be able to be used due to the concern of leaking.

Another issue with private criteria inevitably getting leaked for an "award" is that then community members will work towards meeting the criteria in order to achieve POTM. This will result in it being awarded to those who can work towards set/written goals, rather than having good intentions behind actively helping the community.

When you're making a suggestion and keeping a large aspect of it private it's also quite hard to comment on if this idea should be implemented or not. Criteria for an award like this could vary a ton, and what you have in mind could be completely different to what someone commenting thinks. In my opinion, while this suggestion is still being discussion you should briefly outline what criteria you have in mind so people can comment with a more informed opinion, rather than just assuming what it will be.

Posted Dec 19, 2018
    lili., Sven and Iscariot like this.
  15. joerock777

joerock777

What does everyone else think of this idea?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 9, 2019
  16. Sickle_ // SickleMode

Sickle_ // SickleMode

Hello,
    No matter what approach is taken, the bottom line is that any version of MOTM and SOTM for community members would have problems. The main problem is bias for obvious reasons. Not only that, but there are just too many community members to pick from and the whole ordeal would cause unnecessary controversy. I understand why you would want a system like this, but there is simply no good way to make it happen.

Posted Jan 9, 2019
  17. hazeae24

hazeae24

Yo!

Thank you for contributing in Ideas Discussion here on Mineplex! Unfortunately, I will be denying this idea for the following reasons:

Bias
    As stated by many others in this thread, this award system could easily turn into a popularity contest that would further divide the community. Players would be constantly fighting and competing to earn votes for this system, causing more tension in the community. I would rather not create a frivolous tag that could ruin the bonds of friendships of this community.

Voting
    Voting on one player or a set of players would be difficult for how large our player base is. As stated by H2O, it would be difficult to divide our player base into sections to take everyone from different timezones and areas of the network into account. It would also be unfair to only select a small group of people that have contributed to Mineplex when there are many different players that impact the community.

Rewards
    Players do not need an award for helping the server. I will use H2O's quote here to summarize the reasoning:
    Players should want to help the server because they genuinely care, not for a reward. If players want recognition for their contributions they could join the staff team or one of the community sub-teams we have. Even as staff members, we do not receive "rewards" for our work (aside from paid employees). I would say that is the closest thing MOTM/SOTM to a "reward" that we get, but they aren't actual rewards, like winning chests or shards. They are symbols of our previous work, but no something that we should strive for. If your only goal for contributing to community is for a tag then you should probably ask yourself if you are doing the work because of your sincerity or for the recognition.

On the staff team we don't receive awards, but I guess you could say that our reward is the feeling of accomplishment whenever we complete a task. We give ourselves that satisfaction. Setting goals for ourselves and exceeding them gives us the feeling of accomplishment. The same goes for any goal you have, not just here on Mineplex. but anyone can give themselves goals and achieve them for their own benefit and growth.

I will be denying your idea because of voting issues, bias, and the reward system complications. If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns regarding your idea, feel free to PM me or another member of Community Management.

Thread Locked - Idea Denied
    Bias, Voting, and Rewarding System Complications

Posted Jan 11, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.