• 404 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4234 Players Online
  • 3830 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Ping display or /ping Command

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Hubaa, Jun 16, 2020.

?

Should the /ping command be added, the ping being displayed on the scoreboard or neither?

1. /ping Command

55.6%
  2. Ping on Scoreboad

22.2%
  3. Neither

22.2%
  1. Good day everyone!
    Connection to the server is important in PVP games such as Gladiators or DOM. Although you might have the best internet provider in your area your ping will still remain high because of your location on the globe. High ms leads to delayed or reduced knockback. Low ms leads to quicker reactions. (This is a highly debatable topic and I do not want to get into the details, these are just my opinions). PVP Clients such as Lunar or Badlion have built-in Ping Mods. The mod can be enabled and one's ping will always be displayed on their screen. For the vanilla Minecraft players, however, they have to rely on pressing tab and getting a 'rough' estimate of their ping by the bars and are forced to get on a client to check their ping.

The /ping command would show the player's ping at the current moment or an average of the last minute(s). (This idea is still in the works and can be decided upon further discussion). PVP servers such as Minemen Club have the player's ping displayed on the scoreboard. Both options are viable since some people might not like their ping being constantly displayed and might annoy them.

Posted Jun 16, 2020
  2. Would be helpful, but honestly there's already so many mods that you can that are permitted to show your ping. if it's super important to a player, i'd recommend to install one of them (laby, lunar, etc.) also i like doing /ping and getting pong :)

Posted Jun 16, 2020
    Truthhs, CrazyOfTim, dcdb and 7 others like this.
  3. I like getting ponged too. But if you are unable to contact a mod or are unable to download a client then you might need this feature. Its a small feature and would not change too much.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 16, 2020
  4. Posted Jun 16, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  5. Sorry for double posting, but yeah I agree it would be a fine feature to add, just pointing out that it's very doable already.

Posted Jun 16, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  6. Sounds interesting. I don't know the amount of work that this would be, but if it is a decent amount, I would imagine it would be pushed until later. It does not seem like a need or something that would be super important and would probably not get worked on until there is some 'free' time to spare. Other things would probably be fixed and worked on before they decide to work on this.

Posted Jun 16, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  7. I think this would be pretty helpful in a lot of situations, especially when playing anything related to pvp, I don’t know why this isn’t already a thing by now but +1 from me

Posted Jun 16, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  8. Hey!
    I would actually love for this to be implemented in the future. I know that you can get several different mods that show your ping, but I’m already really low on storage on my computer so that’s not really an option. Also, there have been countless times where I wanted to check my ping, especially for pvp game modes. Although this feature would not necessarily improve gameplay or the overall Mineplex experience for many players, I would love to see this implemented in the future.

Posted Jun 16, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  9. Now, I won't deny the usefulness of this command, especially to individuals who don't have a method of seeing their ping in-game, but I believe the command simply isn't necessary, especially since clients like Lunar client and Badlion exist, both clients have built-in features to display an individuals ping, and even if players decide they would not like to use either client, there's still the option to download mods which can display your ping automatically. Long story short, don't be lazy, now I can understand if there's no way for you to obtain a way to display your ping, but if you have the ability to do so, but decide I don't want to, well, don't rely on Mineplex to implement this idea because ultimately there aren't any guarantees.

Posted Jun 16, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  10. Would be helpful however there are way more important things and dev time is already limted so i would rather the other things get done with the small amount of dev time there is.

Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  11. Hey!

Personally, I don't think this would be a good addition. The classic Mineplex "Pong" has become very popular amongst the community, and dates back all the way to the beginning, and so I don't believe this will be removed / replaced any time soon. As others have said, there are multiple mods/clients that can do this, Badlion for example automatically puts it in tab. I do agree with it being somewhat helpful, however there are numerous mods out there.

A similar thread: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/the-ping-command.123939/

Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  12. I think this would actually be a great idea and would not be that hard to implement. Sometimes if I'm on Optifine or not on a client which tells me my ping or for users who are unable to use them it would be very useful to be able to see your ping. So I think this could be implemented and would be a great idea!

Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  13. Heyyy

I am sure this could be convenient but at the same time, you don't really need to know your exact ping, on tab you have 5 bars, if you have all 5 then your connection is good, 4 bars it is looking at the high 100s and anything more is going to be lower. If you would like to know your ping then you can download labymod, badlion client, lunar client, or even set up forge and have it show there, if you need any help downloading these then feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help :)

I guess if the Devs had time then it could be added but their time is better being focused on certain projects from my perspective so I just don't see the use in adding it, at least at the moment.

:)

Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  14. Hey there, I agree with you that i dont feel that this needs to happen however i don't think it is a classic mineplex thing with "ping" and "pong" lots of other servers use it and there is a plugin called essentials (made back in 2012) which 90 percent of servers use (Mineplex not included i dont believe) with the same command included within it.

Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Hubaa and xWand like this.
  15. Yeah I think I said it wrong. What I meant is that amongst the Mineplex community, a lot of people like it, and the "Pong" feature has been in Mineplex for a while.

Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Hubaa and Paiynz like this.
  16. Ah okay, its all good :)

Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Hubaa likes this.
  17. Hey there!
    In my opinion, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this being added. A lot of players who avoid using mods like LabyMod, Lunar (and other clients) are in many cases clueless to their ping. It would definitely help many players understand their connection much better on the server. Although the /ping command right now generates the well known and loved "pong" response, I would certainly love to see it being an actual useful command, telling players their actual ping. In this case, I'd imagine it to be so that a player would still use the /ping command recieving a PONG! but also recieving their ping right after. It would make a lot of sense to include and update the command. It seems like a very simple QoL change and I think would be really nice to see.

Players who are eager to find out their specific ping, however, should explore some clients that would work best for them. Of course, this is different for everyone, but in the meantime, it works really well and actually tells you a lot more things than just ping. I'd highly suggest making sure you stick to the clients approved (you can find out if they are approved or unapproved through mineplex.com/rules and scrolling all the way down). If you need any help feel free to message me about it <3 [​IMG]

Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Hubaa and Joiined like this.
  18. Thanks, I totally agree. Keeping the beloved ‘pong’ feature and adding a use to it too. Thanks for your response. Hope this idea goes through!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 17, 2020
    Tours likes this.
  19. Hellooo I will be marking this idea as Processed and locking the thread as the /ping command is proposed to change to include your ping also. This is seen in the Java Social Update Proposal thread:
    • Change /ping Command
      • Allows the player to see their current ping while connected to the server
    Thread Locked ➵ Processed

Posted Mar 5, 2021
    nolawn and Fusafez like this.