• 701 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3280 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Particle Effects/Taunts Preference

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by CowHatake, Jan 5, 2020.

?

Should this feature be added?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Just the particle effects

4. Just the taunts

5. Doesn't really matter to me

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Particle Effects/Taunts Preference

The idea is pretty simple actually, I know some people don't like seeing other players particle effects, or they think that seeing others people taunts are annoying or condescending as seen in previous threads and ideas. I think that by having a toggleable preference that can either stop players from seeing particle effects or taunts we can stop this issue and make the community a more user friendly place and give the users more preference over what they can and cannot do on the server. These preferences would be separate and can be on at the same time. They will not affect your own particle effects or taunts however so you can still see them. Overall, just a small QoL change but I think that some players would appreciate it.

Posted Jan 5, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 5, 2020
    Im_Ken, 510bike, _Prof_ and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wouldn't that ruin the purpose of cosmetics in the first place? I have no issues with particles but as for taunts, I'd much rather have it hidden when you /ignore a person instead of giving it a preference setting.

Posted Jan 5, 2020
    Worpp, Im_Ken, DC_20 and 3 others like this.
  3. I agree with what @Evira said above me. Yeah, for some players they get annoying, especially some of those taunts that players use passive aggressively, but everyone still has the ability to unlock those cosmetics, so I really don't see why we need to have them be disabled through something in /prefs. However, I do like the idea of turning them off in /ignore since then you are completely ignoring them instead of just the messages they send in normal chat and/or /msg.

Posted Jan 8, 2020
    Im_Ken likes this.
  4. Hello.

I don't necessarily agree with this idea. Although particles, even my own sometimes, can get annoying, the purpose of them in a sense is to look cool in front of other members and use them as a displayable cosmetic. It's similar to skins in FPS games or a skin on Minecraft. That being said, it seems counter-productive to include a preference that allows people to turn this off completely as I have a feeling this would be used a lot. People wouldn't see the cosmetics that people use and they would ultimately be worthless.

@Evira, as for your idea where /ignore to hides taunts, I do like this. I think it's feasible and likely would save a lot of people that have a problem with this from being annoyed, however I do see a couple problems with this. There are multiple taunts that do things that aren't related to chat. The Eternal taunt turns you into a skeleton and shoots out clocks. The easy mode taunt puts particles above your head. Trick or treat taunt makes either an NPC of you run around you or shoots out candy. Multiple taunts have features that couldn't be filtered for one person, and it seems inconsistent to only filter the ones that send a message in chat.

I like the idea of filtering particles, but like I said above it goes against the point. As much as they can be annoying, they're still a cool way for players to show off, and allowing people to turn them off limits the amount of people that will see the particle. Also, if a player sees a particle they particularly like, which does happen, they might buy chests or a rank in order to get that particle. I have definitely seen this happen, and filtering particles out prevents potential money for the server.

Overall, I don't think both ideas would work very well for the server, and filtering taunts might be hard to implement. At the end of the day, despite them being annoying sometimes there's not really a whole lot you can do, and in a sense that's somewhat the point of the cosmetic.

Posted Jan 8, 2020
  5. I like this idea in conceptual form, but I don't think that it's necessary to add to the game. Although there are definitely times when I'd rather not having other people's particles all up in my face during games, it's not that much of a bother to me. If this were to be implemented, I think that a large amount of the player base would just turn off particles and taunts and never think to turn them back on. This would end up making these aspects of the server somewhat obsolete. Like @jxcb said, every player has the ability to unlock taunts and particles. Along with this, I completely agree with what @Evira said pertaining to the /ignore command. Although it can be condescending at times to see certain taunts or particles that a player hasn't obtained yet, I don't think that having an option to turn them off is the solution.

edit: wording.

Posted Jan 8, 2020
  6. This seems like a nice idea!
    I do not think that cosmetics would become obsolete if this was implemented. Speaking from a Bedrock only perspective, I don't particularly use particles to look cool in front of others but rather, for it to look cool on my end. I like seeing an explosion when my arrow hits someone. But I'm sure others might find it annoying or possibly degrading their performance of low-end devices.
    I'm going to say +1 on this for Bedrock as I have experience with Mineplex's Java Edition.

Posted Jan 9, 2020
  7. I actually really like this!
    It's a solid alternative to having to deal with players that might annoy you, while not having to /ignore players and not get see their chat messages at all.
    It's a simple idea which could probably turn out to be effective, and a good way of mitigating conflict between players who might not see eye-to-eye on the taunt issue. As for particles, I don't mind that either, it can help with performance to not have as much content to load on-screen, so it's a good way of getting around FPS lag if you do own a low-end PC/Laptop.
    I just want to reiterate: /ignore would block out the receiving player's messages, which is impractical in my opinion, if you just don't want to see the taunts but still want to interact with that individual.

Posted Jan 9, 2020
    Im_Ken likes this.
  8. Heyo!
    So I'm all for the particle effect, because it could just be really annoying to try to 1v1 with a massive herd of particles, just caking your fps (Personal experience :P). As for the aspects of the taunts, I really don't see it necessary, since you could just /ignore it like @Evira stated. Some players find it infuriating, for the /taunt(s) for example: is this easy mode? But the taunt one really doesn't differ the fact that you can /ignore people. Moving back to the particles, though, I guess you could just go on Options < Video Settings < Animations and then preferably turn off the particle that you don't want to see. So I guess you could count this as a +0.5? Idk lol.
    Cheers!
    ~Sean

Posted Jan 9, 2020
  9. Honest question, are ya'll really gonna implement a pref for a mechanic that only some players would appreciate? Aren't there bigger priorities?

Posted Jan 9, 2020
    Jaek and Sean ✩ like this.
  10. There already are preferences that some players use and others don't. That's the point of preference; it's subjective, and not everyone wants to have it activated.
    That said, I can understand there being more pressing matters, like game updates or bug fixes, but this is still something small that could act as a marginal solution to the taunting conflict - which many currently see as an issue in-game.

Posted Jan 9, 2020
    CowHatake likes this.
  11. Did those existing pref affect cosmetics?

Posted Jan 9, 2020
  12. Some of them did/do. Colored chat prefixes, for example. The point I previously made doesn't have to apply to just cosmetics, though; what I mean is that preferences vary and it's much easier to mute a few aspects of a player's chat/interactions rather than muting them as a whole, which is counterproductive if you mean to communicate with them about other topics & content later.

Posted Jan 9, 2020
  13. Hey!

My major thoughts have been wrapped up pretty well by other people already. Particles and taunts are both cosmetics that players earn in order to show off to other players as a major reason for using them. If this was added, that would remove the reasoning for earning them by a long shot because some people wouldn’t even see the cosmetics they’ve won.

I feel that if anything, particles could have this implemented due to some players lagging when there is too many particles, but besides that I don’t really agree with this unfortunately.

-0.5 from me, thanks for suggesting and have a good day!

Posted Jan 9, 2020
  14. Kinda surprised people disagree with this idea actually.
    I understand particles and taunts are supposed to be visual for other people to see, but if it’s at the point where cosmetics are ruining a person’s gameplay over something they don’t have control over, it needs to be changed.
    I guess I can understand the argument about why people wouldn’t want an option to disable taunt viewing, so maybe the idea could just be implemented for particles. I have issues with particles a lot, not so much taunts. And taunts are specifically supposed to be viewed during actual games, where as particles can be viewed in lobbies.
    I think a person’s gameplay experience is far more important than being able to see other people’s cosmetics. Majority of people are going to be focused on their game, not so much other people’s cosmetics. +1 from me

Posted Jan 10, 2020
  15. Heyo! for the particles I can see why some people don't like seeing other players particle effects but personally i'm fine with seeing them.
    As many people stated above me this would kind of ruin the purpose of cosmetics and people work hard to get particles and people want to show them off.
    I will say that particles can sometimes get annoying because some of them go in front of you at times and personally I don't like particles in my face during games but if this were to be implemented as I said above it would ruin the purpose of particles.

For the taunts there are only 11 taunts currently available in games and that means they aren't that common so you would want to show them off if you have them, but I can see they can get annoying.
    in my opinion they can be quite funny but I can get why some people find them annoying.
    Also as @Evira said you can already use /ignore.
    Overall this would kind of ruin the purpose of taunts and particle effects and you can already use /ignore so I'll be giving this idea a -1.

Have a nice day!

Posted Jan 10, 2020
  16. Hey! In my opinion, this would ruin the purpose of gadgets. If you don't want to see player particles you can turn them off in your Minecraft settings. However, I do like the idea of /ignore and that would hide their particles. And like @pokyvessel52506 has pointed out that there are only 11 taunts so they aren't that common. Personally, I don't see them used often. If a player doesn't like seeing other players taunts they can already /ignore the players. I just don't see a purpose for this to be implemented any time soon or at all.

Posted Jan 10, 2020
  17. Hello,
    Although I see benefits on both sides of this idea, I think it would be best if the particles and taunts remained how they are now and stay visible to everyone. I believe this because cosmetics of all kind are a staple of motivation on Mineplex and can offer great satisfaction and feeling of reward when you collect more and display your favorites. I just don't think that it would be wise to step in the direction of toggling taunts and particles. I definitely see this as a viable addition for some, but, in my opinion, it is not worth taking a step towards reducing cosmetics in any way. This in addition with a few of the minor problems, including taunts that may not be possible to be invisible to some make this addition too costly to be worth a minor QoL pref. Thank you for bringing up this suggestion, but I just don't know what effects this may have on the use of cosmetics and I do not think this minuscule pref is worth changing the way cosmetics are used on the server, no matter how small of a tweak it may be. For these reasons, unfortunately I am going to give this a -1. Have a nice day!

Posted Jan 10, 2020
    nolawn likes this.
  18. I’ve seen quite a few ideas going around in the Ideas Section suggesting a way to disable particles with a simple command. After looking through replies in discussions on both the forums and discord, I’d have to say that I agree with this. Thought I’d like to simply combine both yours and other’s ideas together since both suggestions have similar concepts. Anyway, I agree with maybe a command for particles that would disable yours and others’ around you, simply by using /particle. I feel like a preference is too much and would be inconvenient with the steps you’d have to take just to turn particles off for a second. As for taunts I’m ehhh. Honestly, they’re supposed to be a fun cosmetic and shouldn’t be taken so personally. If you don’t like the idea of taunts, then it would be easier just to ignore them. It’s only a little message that shows up in chat (Easy Mode taunt for example). Sure, if /ignore blocked taunts from being seen then I think that’s a simple solution but I really just don’t see the need for it if it doesn’t affect gameplay.

Particles and other cosmetics in both games and lobbies don’t have much of a purpose other than to show off or flex to others. They’re also just cool to look at and also fun to collect for some people. That being said, I’m not really in favor of finding ways to disable cosmetics more but if it’s really affecting you or others in terms of lag, then yes I could see how disabling particles would be useful in some cases.

A bit 50/50 on this one so I’ll just stay neutral on this for now.

Posted Jan 12, 2020
    Sickle likes this.