• 2214 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4793 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

O.G. Mushroom Islands

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by _Gorgonite, Jan 23, 2020.

?

Have you seen this version of Mushroom Is. before?

1. ye

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. nu

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Oh. My. God. I thought I was delusional but its real.

I remember this was the Mushroom Islands map when I initially started playing SSM. They switched it to the current one a year or so later.

Ngl I would like to see how this version plays out with the modern SSM playerscape.

Posted Jan 23, 2020
  2. The map itself was extremely too campy and the one we have right now was a great change in comparison to this. As you can tell a lot of aspects from this map was taken and put into the new map, the biggest change anyone can see is just that one of the biggest camping spots of any ssm map was changed to just better gameplay. I don't think it'd be suitable for the game now with how easy it is to camp it, especially since so many things in the game have changed since then, overall I just think it's bad for the map to be added.

Posted Jan 23, 2020
    QuietMyChild likes this.
  3. Heyo!

As @HushMyChild stated above, the map itself was really campy and was very bland in my opinion. There wasn't a lot of detail to the map and wasn't up to the build teams skill and didn't meet guidelines. Our current one is up to the guidelines and is more aesthetically pleasing. I really don't think this will be brought back as like I said above there was some issues with the map and like Hush said, very campy.

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Jan 23, 2020
  4. As @HushMyChild mentioned, the map itself is far too campy in that video. The middle mushroom is the predominate example of this as it stands out as arguably the largest difference between the original and the modern version. Not only does it look a lot nicer, but it's more accommodated to be balanced in today's standards. I'm not a huge SSM player, and I especially don't remember the old imbalances with the kits back in the day, but I can guarantee you that a mushroom as round and high as that was unbelievably unbalanced for SSM gameplay, and I'm glad it got reworked. Another map from the old days that I'd like to see make a return (which was arguably better for gameplay than Mushroom Islands as well) is Swamp. Nice memories to reminisce about for sure though.

Posted Jan 23, 2020
  5. Heyo!

Even though the map is changed and as @rqil and @HushMyChild said better off for it, I think now is the time to look at the maps we have live and realize this problem is still out there. A map with literally a mushroom almost completely identical to that is the one in Ardan Forest. GI definitely wants it removed and as a member with thousands of games of experience in SSM, I want it gone too. It definitely either needs to be replaced with a much shorter building, or focus on making the terrain better so just add some sort of cover. Otherwise that part of the map will become very open leaving a player vulnerable to range kits.

~Cheers!
    -Hilly

(And yes im copying spike's intro and outro cause I like it :333)

Posted Jan 23, 2020
  6. I was thinking more in terms of the verticality of the old version, with the islands more offset from each other, but camping would 100% be a problem.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 23, 2020
  7. Ardan's mushroom isn't as bad as old Mushroom Island's mushroom (that's 3 mushrooms in first sentence, nice. 4 now) more access points that are safer as there isn't void all around the camp spot, just jumping from the ground to it is much safer on Ardan than old Mushroom Island.
    That being said, I wouldn't really be opposed to changing it, still a fairly annoying camp spot that could have more access points for kits with less maneuverability.

Posted Jan 25, 2020

8. Just found this interaction funny
    1st response: The map was campy
    2nd response: As the 1st user said, the map was campy
    3rd response: As the 1st user said, the map was campy
    4th response: As the 1st and 2nd users said, the map was campy

As for the OP, tbh I think this map was pretty fun. In a sense you could argue it was campy, but playing on it always felt more like a battle of King of the Hill. The Mushroom was effectively the center of the map, there were a couple ways to get up to it, and it was the focal point of the map, so games usually ended up with the entire lobby battling to stay on top of it.

I think in a scenario like this, even though on paper the mushroom seems like a great camping spot, it ended up funneling combat and promoting aggressive, interactive play- the exact opposite of the problems a camping spot normally present by allowing players to bypass combat and avoid interaction.

Posted Jan 28, 2020
    Jango_55 and Fallen™ like this.
  9. It seems oddly familiar but I don't know if I actually remember this or not. Does anyone know when they got rid of this map?

Posted Jan 29, 2020
  10. Long time ago, like 2014 ish

Posted Jan 29, 2020
    PewDiePizza likes this.