• 1559 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10318 Players Online
  • 8759 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

New SSM Map Submission

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by IEATYOU, Oct 8, 2020.

?

UwU vs OwO

1. uwu

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. owo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No. Stop.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Posted Oct 8, 2020
    Adrenaline, PhoenixSky and Campd like this.
  2. I think it looks really good!! I don’t know much about SSM but the map looks really big for that game mode. Other than that great job!

Posted Oct 8, 2020
    IEATYOU and mab8400 like this.
  3. submit this for wizards it would be an awesome map for that game. just too big for ssm, camping would be a huge issue. the map itself seems excellent

Posted Oct 8, 2020
    Hubble, Paladise and IEATYOU like this.
  4. This map looks awesome man, its very rare to see a map thats huge but also has a bunch of detail in it. I can see that you put a lot of effort into this.

But Honestly, if this map is used in ssm, it should be exclusively for large events or an mps/mcs. It would be too large for quick 4 player games.

This map would be a great addition to the server though for different games aswell like a few people mentioned already.

Posted Oct 8, 2020
    IEATYOU likes this.
  5. I agree with the size comment, and looking at some of the trees, I would suggest sorting the trunks out a little, some of them look off

Posted Oct 8, 2020
    IEATYOU likes this.
  6. heyy! this map looks so nice and the attention to detail is absolutely gorgeous, but i feel like its a bit too overcrowded with trees, but besides that, it looks REALLY nice :D

Posted Oct 13, 2020
    IEATYOU likes this.
  7. Posted Oct 14, 2020
    IEATYOU likes this.
  8. Hey! That looks amazing, must have took so much hard work and effort, good job! :D

Posted Oct 14, 2020
    IEATYOU likes this.
  9. Hey, I commend you for putting your time and effort to creating this map. It has ton of details and is extremely aesthetically pleasing to view at. However, as a map tester, I'm going to give you some feedback regarding your map and how you can improve it to hopefully become a live map on the mineplex network.

General:
    • First, I'm not exactly sure if you have, but I'd recommend looking over the Map Submissions Guidelines along with submitting it at the Map Submissions Form.
    • Regarding guidelines, I'd also read over the Super Smash Mobs map guidelines along with the Guidelines For Setting up Datapoints, since I see you don't have any datapoints for the map as of now
    • I'd also look at the MapDatabase for future reference to make sure you don't build a theme that's already live. Also playing more of the game to give you a feel of the gameplay is also something that'd benefit you in the long run.
    Gameplay:
    • The map is EXTREMELY big, especially on the bottom. This can be an issue and unbalance for a variety of kits and it generally won't be a great experience for the player. To fix this, I'd remove the massive caves/ravines, unnecessary hills, flat terrain, floating islands and structures that aren't really needed. At the end, it should be as big as this:

[​IMG]

• There is an absurd amount of trees on the second island which would make it hard to move around the map. I'd remove a good amount of trees to the point where there are maybe maximum of 6.
    • The random fence posts will get in the way of gameplay
    • Remove the amount of tall grass as this will also get in the way and ruin the hit registration.
    • The vines connecting the islands will also ruin gameplay as they are way to small to run on. Maybe replace them with a bridge connecting them or just make them closer; any of those solutions work.
    Aesthetics:
    • There's nothing too much about the aesthetics, but I'd just say not adding as much detail into the terrain because it'd look very weird up-close seeing some blocks that you wouldn't find in normal terrain if you were walking on. For example if you randomly found a furnace in a cave spike or if you found a noteblock in dirt. This mainly applies to the bottom of the island but it could just be a weird opinion of mine :p
    Thank you for showing your map to the community and I hope to see it live when the improvements are made in the future. If you have any questions regarding my feedback, please message me or quote this post :)

Posted Oct 14, 2020
  10. Ty for the feedback! You should download the map if you wanna look around and give more observations you find.

I did actually look at all submission guidelines, I just removed the data points to take the screenshots. A lot of your points have also been discussed on the original thread. You should read some the map's features I added in order to balance gameplay like why I added multiple trees with sloped canopies to discourage camping by having multiple tall perches with many access points (such as branches and climbing the other trees) instead of one tall structure with 1 easy defendable access point such as the tower in Hyrule Castle, or multiple hard to reach trees with 1 access point such as in Skylands. The trees act as a second platform area for players to fight and the distances between trees are similar if not wider than that of Skylands (yes I measured u.u). I did make the habit of making sure everything on the map had precedent on other maps, except of course for size :3

There are no tall grass on top of the islands and I made sure when texturing terrain to make it asthetic for gameplay, not renders, so yea, no weird blocks like furnaces were used.

Been playing the game for years and I am very familiar with the play styles of all kits so I tried to balance making the map accessable for all players and my own vision of what I wanted, also taking time to research what the smash community wanted.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 14, 2020,
    Last edited Oct 14, 2020
    Anna-Marie, Paladise and BasicT like this.
  11. It's still too big regardless?

Posted Oct 16, 2020
    IEATYOU likes this.
  12. Probably :3
    Releasing it as multiple maps is an easy fix but if my map passes onto testing, we'll have to see whether any of our assumptions play out. All of the big maps already in the game run the risk of runners and campers while all the small maps are notoriously easy in getting unfair void kills and have little movement space or dynamic play area which wastes ssm's gameplay movement.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 17, 2020
  13. Hey there! As an SSM player, I can definitely see a few immediate issues this map might have in performance and gameplay, all of which were already stated above by @BasicT

The build looks absolutely amazing and you have huge potential as a builder, but I don't personally see this as a great map fit for SSM. I think if you were able to size down the whole thing, trim the bottom of the islands, and maybe add some more gameplay room up top, this map would be KILLER and amazing to play in SSM. I look forward to seeing some of your future works as this is amazing and fun to look at.

Great work and +1 on the build for me, but -1 on being a suitable map for SSM ;P

Take care!
    ~Hubble

Posted Oct 17, 2020
    IEATYOU likes this.
  14. Ty! :D
    I kinda wanted to give the feeling of smallness to the player like in the floating islands in Avatar.
    [​IMG]

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 17, 2020