• 1942 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4026 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned New Rule Idea

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by BusterdogTNT, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If anyone knows, a popular 2b2t youtuber called SalC1 recently went on another server crashing spree and tried to crash Mineplex, I am not sure if he succeeded or not but a rule should be added that "any attempt to crash or lag the server will result in a perma ban" Just and idea, cause there was some crazy lag in that lobby.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
  2. ummm... Sometimes people will use gadgets and it may cause lag. Classifying an "Attempt" at crashing the server is a very blurry area. In clans when a new season is starting people will be using gadgets which cause lag.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    Dallarth likes this.
  3. As @Yato said, people use gadgets which can sometimes cause lag and we obviously do not want to ban gadgets. I think this rule would be very difficult to implement because how exactly would we be able to tell whether someone is attempting to crash the server? Not to mention, it would near impossible for one singular person to crash the server using gadgets alone. Overall, I think this rule is unnecessary.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    Yato likes this.
  4. Hey!

I understand how this can be annoying, and I think this already go under a rule, but not that specifically said.

Bug exploiting:
    Intentionally abusing a bug or a glitch on the server or in a game that gives you an unfair advantage, or ruins gameplay for other players.

As this doesn't specifically say "crashing the server" or something like it, the situation is that it ruins gameplay for other players. It's probably a higher severity punishment for this planned out, but someone crashing the server can't I imagine happening often.

I agree with what @dallarth is saying above, it would be hard to see if someone is trying to crash the server. And it would be hard for a person alone to crash the server by just using gadgets. Of course, this may be possible with bots. But that violates the rule of "Botting".

And again, I can't imagine this happening often. So overall, also as @dallarth said, I think this rule is unnecessary.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    Yato and Dallarth like this.
  5. @sesses has perfectly added on to what I forgot to say - All existing methods of crashing the server are already violations of the rules or outright illegal. Botting is a severity 4 rule and is one of the only ways I can think of for someone to crash the server. The only other possible way to crash the server is by DDOS'ing it, which is illegal and if you were discovered you could face a fine, a prison sentence, or both.

I just thought I'd add on to my original opinion, I hope this was helpful in any way, have a good day!

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    Lipsticks and Yato like this.
  6. Let me clarify this, it was not botting, SalC1 got all of his fans ~1000 to join mineplex, these were real Minecraft people not bots. Also he live streamed the whole thing, it was a overload of people.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 9, 2019
  7. I still think it could be classified under bug exploiting as @sesses stated.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
  8. how would it be bug exploiting?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 9, 2019
  9. I think that demonstrates it...

Posted Sep 9, 2019
  10. Hello,

To clarify the confusing above, the sufficient punishment would be Botting which is a severity 4 permanent ban. That being said, although your suggestion isn’t exactly the same, there is a similarly implemented rule!

I do, however, would like to comment on the fact that we cannot prove that players are crashing the server from lag in the scenario you gave us. We’d need some more, sufficient evidence to apply a Botting ban.

~Arjun

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    Yato, 24OO and Lipsticks like this.
  11. Like @Arjun mentioned this would likely fall under "Botting" because you'd most likely need some degree of automation to cause a server overload and downtime. Most large servers (including Mineplex) have safeguards in place that would automatically detect a bot attack and just redirect their activity away from the server (it's a little more complicated than that but that's in simple terms).

It's really hard to tie a specific person/username responsible for an attack because it usually involves many (often compromised accounts) used as bots, so the focus is really on preventing and redirecting attacks rather than trying to find who's responsible.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    Yato likes this.
  12. This wasnt botting, he used real people, with real accounts, with a intent to crash

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 9, 2019
  13. That would still be considered botting because he would need to have some degree of automation to allow him to log in fast enough and with enough players to crash the server.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    Yato likes this.
  14. In my opinion the server has all the necessary rules to cover every single problem that could happen on the server. Like other people said above, attempting to crash the server would either be considered botting or bug exploitation depending on the case. Rules should be simple and easy to comprehend, that's why I disagree with this idea: adding a new rule/rules for things that are already covered up by other rules would result unnecessary and confusing. -1 from me.

-M3k_

Posted Sep 10, 2019
    Yato likes this.
  15. The rules list is not really an exhaustive list of things people can be banned for. If someone was intentionally crashing servers repeatedly, and somehow was not covered under any existing rule, the admin team would most likely just ban them. The rules list is only for the moderation team.

Posted Sep 16, 2019
  16. What’s poppin!

As ssnip said basically we have rules set in place for the staff team to handle easily without confusion. If a player was intentionally trying to crash the Mineplex servers I’m sure the Admin team would most likely issue a Permanent Admin Ban or Network Ban. Even though the rules may say it’s not a rule if it’s considered a severe offense that could possible jeopardize Mineplex or any players it’s most likely punishable by the Admin team.

Posted Sep 16, 2019
  17. I do feel like this would be a good rule if the person doing the punishment is caught and there's enough proof for a proper ban. The main factors of lag on lobbies is usually a large ammount of players and those players using gadgets. It would be a big problem if the GWEN banning system banned innocent players or staff members banned players because they suspected them of 'attempting to crash the server'. Anyways this is a pretty good idea, It was a real pain when he tried to crash the server because I remember it being really laggy.

Posted Sep 16, 2019
  18. Doesn't have to be a specific rule because the admin team already deals with these situations internally. If you have any evidence of this person trying to attack the server, please DM me thank you!

I'll be locking the thread since this doesn't need a specific rule category.

Posted Sep 20, 2019
    RobbiinK and THELichCA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.