• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

New players vs chicken

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by MCgamer1175, Nov 28, 2019.

?

Do you still think chicken is op?

1. Yes! I would rather have the game put down to my level than try to improve!

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No lmao

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Almost every new player I see that has something to complain about, complains about chicken. Complaints are mainly about the small hitbox and missile spam. It's easy to see why these could be a problem for new players but that's the thing... they're new players. Any good player will tell you that chicken is a horrible kit and even the worst one. So which is it? Is chicken a horribly unbalanced kit that dominates the game with it's small hitbox and spamming missile? Or is it a horribly underpowered kit that isnt even close to viable? Well its pretty obvious once you stop making angry forums posts about why chicken is the most overpowered kit in the game and that it should just be deleted before you've even played the game for more than .5 seconds. Chicken is supposed to be a glass cannon. Relying on extremely strong moves and mobility but being extremely weak and dying in a few hits. But the idea failed because the other kits have moves that are just as strong but they also arent so weak that they die when you sneeze on them. bUt ThE hItBoX iS sO sMaLl YoU cAn'T hIt It!!!1!! This is probably the worst complaint I've ever seen and the logic is so flawed that it should honestly just be censored so people don't have to hear it. Yes the hitbox is small. That's the point. That's why iron golem is big. That's the p o i n t. The worst part about this complaint is that it's not even that small. New players act like it's smaller than Mineplex's player count but it's really not. New players learn this all the time when they save up all their gems and buy chicken and expect to never lose another game, when in reality they choose chicken, die in 4 hits, and call you a hacker because "THERES NO WAY YOU CAN HIT CHICKEN THAT MUCH!!!!!" It's the only kit that takes atleast an ounce of skill to hit and new players complain about it because they can't. I mean it's almost like you could just try to improve instead of begging for a nerf so that you dont have to try to play the game. But no that's too hard. What's the point of playing the game if you have to try????? So in conclusion, chicken is far from overpowered and needs buffs with a few changes so that it doesnt become op. Stop complaining about it and learn to aim at smaller hitboxes. You're drowning out the actual criticism with complaints that are just not accurate. Play the game to atleast 1k wins before you start begging for changes.

Posted Nov 28, 2019
    Crash, Task, Pythraithia and 2 others like this.
  2. Ngl but same thing in blockhunt. The dreaded "chicken" slaughtering hunters since 2013. They have the smallest hitbox so they are really hard to hit.

Posted Nov 29, 2019
    mab8400 and FluteVegetables like this.
  3. I can understand how the Chicken Kit is very over-powered when it comes to mobility and the Chicken Missile ability - Players tend to "juggle" other opponents due to the power of it instantly recharging after a successful hit, moving around quickly unlike any other kit and timing the shots perfectly killing you in seconds. The hitbox I agree if fine, the mobility is sure as hell the best part for the kit, but the damn missile needs a nerf - instead of the ability recharging instantly, maybe half the cool-down after a successful hit? The armour for the kit is acceptably thin, the Egg Blaster can be useful (and they usually miss half the time) but the Chicken Missile is what needs to change - nerfed in fact.

Also, maybe don't hate on newer players for not knowing perfect etiquette in the game - they're new. Just ignore their "buff and nerf" requests and confront them about the nature of the game. They'll soon learn.

Posted Nov 30, 2019
    _Gulvan likes this.
  4. Instead of nerfing missile you could change how you fight chicken. Make sure you have your recovery available before starting a fight, try to keep your double jump, and don't get close until you're able to dodge the missile from afar.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 30, 2019
    Crash likes this.
  5. Chicken missile chains are dreadful but it also doesn't need to be changed. Every kit can double jump and many more have other movement abilities, strafing and using movement abilities to avoid chicken missiles is only a little harder than avoiding arrows.

Posted Nov 30, 2019
  6. Back in my day my mother cooked me a nice chicken and I thought to myself.. what if chicken could shoot missiles? Well fast forward 69 years and I still play guardian. Gosh golly guardian is sick.

Posted Dec 1, 2019
    Crash likes this.
  7. Hey, is that a creeper over there?

Posted Dec 1, 2019
  8. Honest to god I've been playing for like a week and suck at the game, but I think Chicken almost needs a buff.

Posted Dec 8, 2019
  9. > Has Eggblaster
    > Relying on 'incredibly strong moves'
    [​IMG]

Going to comment on this specifically, but while you have a good intuition on this, it isn't exactly correct. If the Chicken had just as good of a primary ability as other good kits and just as good of base stats, it would immediately be completely broken.

Chicken is in a weird spot, and I feel like it's almost the same as Spider (but reversed in a way). Chicken having a small hitbox is actually a big deal. Outside of just being hard to hit (until a reasonable threshold of mechanical skill, of course) having a small hitbox gives priority on melee hits vs. all larger hiboxes, can help make it harder to deny Chicken recovery in certain cases, etc. Flap is a similar case, but to a much smaller degree, and it can be changed much more easily than the hitbox.

Lower level play is also important. Even though technically every single player could get good enough to where the hitbox of Chicken wouldn't be a problem... they won't, and the average SSM player is pretty garbage if we are being perfectly honest. This isn't going to change.

The end result is that Chicken is a kit that is super hard to balance because if you gave it good enough abilities / base stats to be viable at a high level of play it would immediately become absolutely absurd at virtually any other level of play.

This is actually a pretty big problem for balancing the game, and the solution for Chicken has been to keep it's base stats absurdly low, but this causes other problems where it feels like its overly punished for mistakes, it's really a pretty weak kit overall, it's still really good at lower levels, etc.

You are definitely correct that 99.99% of critique on the hitbox is best answered by either 'git gud' or 'player skill issue', but the hitbox does cause some legitimate problems that are difficult to get around from a balance perspective.

Personally I think Chicken would honestly be better off and more enjoyable to play as / againstif it had a bigger hitbox, but this isn't feasible for a number of reasons not worth getting into rn

In short, I think that the criticism of Chickens hitbox does have merit . . . just not in the way that the pub rando's are going to even realize, and certainly not for the reason they are going to complain about

Posted Dec 8, 2019
  10. Play the game for 2 more years and you'll change your mind by then :p

Posted Dec 9, 2019
  11. Well I mean I used to play quite a bit, hence why I have all but two kits (you can guess which those two are) and at the time I wasn't so sure it needed any changes.

That was also 3 or 4 years ago though.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
  12. Been Playing the game for 3 years now and honestly, I don't see anything wrong with the kit. And if you ask me, I think slime needs to get nerfed. The slime slam and the slime rocket.. Ugh.. I also just quite recently started main chicken and not gonna lie, it was cool! I still do now and I see nothing wrong with it. The attacks are good and the armor is reasonable. The small hitbox can't be helped.
    Ta Ta,
    Gardevoir

Posted Dec 12, 2019
  13. Then you haven't played enough

Posted Dec 12, 2019
  14. If i play ssm i play with chicken but the only reson for that is bc i can’t play with any other kits lol. Anyways, i don’t think that chicken is op, it isn’t good against kits like blaze, creeper or slime and it has very little armor making it vulnerable to smash crystal abilities whereas it’s own smash is just egg spam that takes ages to kill someone, a full heal and infinite flaps. Imo it has one of the worst smash crystal abilities. One of the main reasons i win is because of it’s mobility. I can just camp the entire game until there’s only one player left or those left are low on lives, making then easy to clean.
    Btw chicken missile isn’t that easy to aim and if you get juggled around it just means that your movement is too predictable.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
  15. Perhaps.

Posted Dec 12, 2019