• 823 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2907 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion New Nano Game - Basketball

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by MCCharity, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Hey gamers!!

So a long, long time ago, Mineplex did a sponsorship deal with the Mavericks (a professional basketball team), and through the deal they created Mavericks Basketball game. If you weren't around when the game was live, essentially it was two teams with 5 to 8 players per team. Then, the game basically played like basketball. You could throw and pick up a slime ball (which represented the basketball), steal it from the other team, and had a double jump to help get across the court.

Overall, the game was pretty fun, but was a bit long for a standalone game. I think that it could make for a really great, short, Nano Game, though. The game is pretty fast paced and a 1 to 2 minute game would be plenty of time. If we wanted to speed up the scoring (and make it more interactive for more players), we could have 1 ball per 4 to 6 players. That way, when Nano has 24 players total, there are around 5 to 6 balls all being used at once.

This is just a little idea for another Nano Game. Since the game was coded in the past, if I had to guess parts of the code could get carried over, but otherwise it is pretty simplistic.

I'd love to hear other ideas that could add an interesting twist to the game. Adding more basketballs obviously makes it more unique, but I feel like it could use something a little bit more.

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    EwMikey, Tea, AndrewRG10 and 7 others like this.
  2. Greetings!

I was always a fan of the basketball game in the mavericks lobby. I always had fun playing it when other players were in there. I would really love to see this come back as a nano game. I don't really agree with the idea of having more than one ball though. It might make the game a lot more chaotic. I think having just two large teams would be better and no more balls would be better. I can't wait to see what other players think about this Nano Games Idea!

~ GuardianInASuit | Your Friendly Little Mineplex Pumpkin​

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    MCCharity likes this.
  3. Hey!

This idea sounds great! I've always wanted to play something sport-related on Mineplex, and it was sad to see that Slime Ball was removed from the lobby because of the lack of players to play it. I have been suggested something similar to this, which is adding Slime Ball into Nano Games. I think that having a little sports game for Nano Games would be great, and a lot of fun to play.

As you said, this has been coded before, and so has Slime Ball, so I am all up for this idea. I think that many people would like BasketBall at Nano Games. Thank you for suggesting this! I'll give this a +1.

In case you wanted to check out my thread, click here

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    MCCharity likes this.
  4. Hi.

I totally agree with this idea. I remember when Mineplex had the deal with the Mavericks, and I also remember the Maverick's lobby as well as the basketball and Maverick's Master Builders games. They were both really fun to play.

This game used to exist in the past, so I also assume that it should be easy for the dev team to replicate. Overall, I see little reason as to why basketball shouldn't return to Mineplex!

Have a nice day, and I look forward to seeing more replies to this idea :)

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    MCCharity likes this.
  5. I think I found my favorite game on Java (:
    --- Post updated ---
    Grinding Irl and grinding on minecraft amen xD

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    FluteVegetables and Im_Ken like this.
  6. I would love to see this game brought back, even as a Nano Game. I remember being amazed by how a real game that I enjoyed in real life could be recreated so well on a block game. I think Nano Games would be the perfect place to put this minigame as it is relatively short. I could definitely see this game bringing more excitement to Nano Games; I would be much more eager to play them in hopes of being able to play Basketball. If the code is still saved somewhere, then I do not think there are major issues with adding this game.

Posted Oct 28, 2019
  7. Heyo!

I would absolutely love to see this game return, especially in Nano Games! I think this game would fit perfect with Nano and I'm sure the community will love it. I do remember playing this game and it was really fun. As Ace said, as the game is relatively short it would definitely fit it. Also, I would love to see this game added to MPS's I personally would love to play this game in an MPS. I am definitely on board with this idea and think it should be implemented to both Nano Games and MPS's. A +1 from me!

Posted Oct 28, 2019
  8. Hey there,

I really like this idea! Unfortunately, I was not around at the time of the Mavericks Basketball game, so I missed out on getting to play it. However, from your description, it sounds super fun and it also sounds like it would fit well into Nano Games. I remember playing Slime Soccer before it was removed from the lobbies, and I clearly remember thinking it was really cool to see a sport I played in real life being represented on Mineplex. In the same way, I definitely think the community would enjoy this game brought back as part of Nano Games.

As someone who never got to play the original game, I'm curious what the maps look like for a Nano Games version of this. As a Builder yourself, I'm sure you have some ideas and I'd love to hear them! What size do you think would work well? Would it be shaped like a traditional basketball court?

Thanks for the suggestion! I would definitely like to see this brought to the network.

Posted Oct 28, 2019
    jxcb likes this.
  9. I used to play basketball in real life and online virtual Minecraft mini-games, Mavericks Basketball game. Mineplex used to be partner with them before when I was around three years ago. It was sadly removed from the server because they’re no longer partner or less players were playing the game. However, the development teams would have to go through the changes and re-create the gamemode overall. There maybe some bugs that needs to resolve before it goes live on the server. I believe it’s a great idea to add to the Nano games. I’ve seen most of the players were playing Nano everyday. +1

I cannot wait to play it again on the Nano server!

Posted Oct 29, 2019
  10. Even though I don't think I ever played the Mavericks basketball game I think it is a really cool concept that I can definitely see being added to Nano Games. I'm just a little confused about how the game would actually run and how players can win the game? I would love to possibly hear some further thoughts or ideas from you.

I think it might be cool if there were 2 basketball games being played at once (so in a game of 24 players there would be 12 players in each game, equalling 6 players on each team.) The game would be fast-paced as you mentioned in your post. Then, the winning team from both games would verse each other in a finale where the winner would be decided.

Those are just some of my personal thoughts on how we could turn the game into a Nano Game. Overall, it's a great concept and I would love to see it added. +1

Posted Oct 29, 2019
  11. I think that this would fit in perfectly for Nano. It's a simple game, though adding all those balls could give easy points to one of the teams, especially if someone is afk or the teams are uneven. As Guardian said above, I'd rather make it one ball with two teams. Or it could be a total of 4 teams with two balls. This game should remain really simple, and that's why I think it's a good match for nano. Other than that, the arena should be decently sized but not too big, which I'm sure you know. Thanks for your idea.

Posted Oct 29, 2019
  12. Hey!

I love this idea. As a huge fan of the basketball game, I think that it would definitely be a great addition into nano games. I don't mind the idea of having 5-8 players per game, but I think that just one big game would be better. Sure, it would be more chaotic, but I think that chaos is what would make the game more fun. I understand that most people probably wouldn't like it, but I just think it would be a bit more fun. Overall, this is a great idea and I would love to see the basketball game make a return, no matter what the team sizes are. Great idea!

Posted Oct 29, 2019
  13. A bunch of 1v1's would be cool, but it also would draw the game out. Additionally, multiple matches would make the total game time more complicated. Maybe instead of a bracket it is like Nano Glads where you try and win as many matches as possible? I don't know, but I personally prefer leaving it as a team game.

For this to fit into Nano it couldn't be a 5-8 player game, though. As stated in the thread, I think the best move would be to just add more balls into the game to help keep it fast paced.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 29, 2019
    Animalll likes this.
  14. I've never personally had the chance to play this before when it was around, but seeing it as a new Nano game would be really fun! I love playing basketball outside of Mineplex and usually meet up with friends to play at least once a week, so seeing a basketball game in Mineplex would be great for me personally. Obviously, because the game was made and implemented years ago there would need to be some bug fixes and such but it would be much easier for the developers than creating a whole new game from scratch. Total +1.

Posted Oct 29, 2019