• 1821 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1821 Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

New Item Concept - Tracking Compass

Discussion in 'Clans' started by Finova, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Would you like to see this item in the game?

1. I would like to see this in the game.

65.0%
  2. I would not like to see this in the game.

15.0%
  3. I don't care if it is in the game or not.

20.0%
  1. Tracking Compass
    This would be a rare drop from Capture Point & Undead City that allows you to find the general area/direction of a certain player.
    You input a name into the compass using either a GUI or chat message. (5 minute cooldown)
    When you right click the compass, it faces your character in the exact direction of said player (see Miner kit on Bridges) and tells you approximately how many blocks away they are, in the form of 4 different messages. (1 minute cooldown)

The chat message would look like this:
    Compass > Finova is very close... [<50 blocks]
    Compass > Finova is nearby... [50-500 blocks]
    Compass > Finova is far... [500-1500 blocks]
    Compass > Finova is very far... [1500+ blocks]

The whole idea of this item is to make it slightly easier to find people who hide in wilderness/borderlands during a siege. It could also be used to get an idea of whether or not someone is going to an event, or just to get general information on where someone could be.

TLDR: A tracking compass that helps you find a specific players general location with a cooldown.

Potential Changes: Could have a durability to encourage saving it for certain situations instead of spamming it every event. (20 uses?)

Feel free to reply if you disagree with any aspect of the idea like balance or values.
    Just want to mention that this item is just a concept I built almost entirely alone and there is absolutely no guarantee that this will ever be in the game.

Edits: I don't think it'll be accurate enough to look like tracers, but I can see why it would be worrying.

Posted Oct 10, 2020,
    Last edited Oct 14, 2020
    Asteiph, Rey, Im_Ken and 7 others like this.
    • Inappropriate Content
    This is the -snip- idea ever, stop copying BetterPVP and -snip- reset already.

Posted Oct 10, 2020,
    Last edited by a Moderator Oct 10, 2020
  2. @Kilk I've never played BetterPVP so I wouldn't know if they had this or not. If anything I'm copying this idea from another gamemode on Mineplex because it already exists here on survival games, just tweaking it to make it suitable to clans. Maybe BetterPVP even got some inspiration from Mineplex ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 10, 2020
    Jarif likes this.
  3. Hey!
    I really like this idea and hope it eventually gets added to the game. As you stated, this would be most useful during sieges when people take their loot and hide out in Borderlands / Wilderness. Given that Borderlands is larger than the map itself, it takes absolutely ages to find anyone even with a speed 3 mount or legends. Plus, if you do happen to find them you would still need to chase them down before they lance/wind away from you and find another spot to hide.

A few things I'd like to note. I'm super glad you chose to have this item be an Undead City + Capture Point only drop, as I really feel most players would be upset about putting another rare into the loot pool for boss events. It sucks to spend a decent amount of time at an event, especially if you're a solo player, just to get another rare item. If this item has durability, it should be deemed as a rare. If it's unbreakable I would put it more towards the "Farming Legendary" category where it has the same drop rate as the Runed Pickaxe. Essentially, if durability is included it should be a more common drop.

Given this is based on the Survival games tracking compass, it could function the same way with durability. Where each compass has ~20-25 uses and combining compasses in your inventory will stack their durability (If you have a compass with 25 uses, and one with 5 you can craft them into a compass with 30 uses). This allows players to have more uses out of a single item, but also puts them at higher risk of losing it if they go out tracking down another player.

The main issue I see with the general location every 1 minute is that clans provides players fast transportation through many different means, whether it's a legendary, kit, mount, ability, etc. Having a smaller map might make this option more viable but it might also remove the need for the item entirely. Currently, if I want to find a player using legends I can generally just watch the chat and see who they have killed, and then start by heading to their base on the map (if they kill members of a particular clan I can just head to that clan's base and most likely find the legend user). However, I like how the Survival games compass actually shows the player location, so instead of giving a generalized message like "Finova is very far... [1500+ blocks]" each use of the compass could allow you to track a player's exact location for ~1 minute or even 30 seconds. This would make it easier to see a player's path rather than having to use the compass ~3-5 times to find them.

Overall, great idea! I think it might need a little balancing and some playtesting to see how effective it is at tracking players but I wouldn't mind seeing it added into the game. Plus, if we ever wanted to limit it to be viable only for sieges, you could just make it so the compass is only usable when sieging a clan.

Note: Both BetterPVP and Mineplex Clans stem from the same original server, BetterMC. It's just logical that they will share similarities when it comes to events and gameplay mechanics. To say that one server copied the other isn't fair as both have their own original ideas but share similar events and mechanics. I don't think this idea is a copy of BetterPVP. Plus, I don't mind servers sharing content if both take their own unique spin on it. I think Mineplex has a better Charles Witherton Boss, but BetterPVP has a more engaging Skeleton King (one that actually melees players rather than focusing on mobs/minions).

Posted Oct 10, 2020
    Finova likes this.
  4. Only problems I have with this: people could find a way to exploit the cool down because some people are sad. And I do feel like they should have a limited amount of uses incase people exploit said cool down

Posted Oct 10, 2020
  5. Hiya!

I would like to see this in the game as there are times when you are looking for a player, or you just are looking for the closest PVP action. As @Baloo said, I really like that you chose Undead City and Capture Point as these events are pretty dull as of right now. Overall an interesting concept and I think it would work nicely in Clans!

Posted Oct 11, 2020
  6. Hello!!!
    I would love to see this involved with Clans as a rare reward for Capture Point and Undead City!!! No one really does Capture or Undead which bringing these into the game might be able to get them so people go do Undead and Capture so the event goes by quicker!! As my personal opinion there should be a special chest that spawns sometimes that has a rare drop in and gtokens legends and etc. Including the Tracking Compass!!! Having updates like these should boost the players that play clans and hopefully will bring clans back alive!!

Posted Oct 13, 2020
  7. Tracers :eyes:

Posted Oct 14, 2020
  8. I like the idea, except for the fact that people might carry compasses on them at all times and would never get ambushed. This might also mean you won't be able to distinguish a person using tracers or ESP from someone who is using a tracking compass.

Other than that, +1!

Posted Oct 14, 2020
  9. Sup,
    Unfortunately -1 because of the likelihood of people just keeping it in their base and just abusing it. You should be able to hide in wilderness or borderlands and have that incognito of it all. If not being abused inside the base constantly power clans will just type in some other random clan to always target them which in my opinion increases the toxic culture of power clans onto small clans.
    This is the only part I agree with of something like this being inside the game, but instead of a compass showing exact whereabouts I was thinking more of a wither assault location approach. If a player interacted with (x) it would show a trail of the players general location. Although it's a general location, it sharpens down the search area by a lot.

Posted Oct 20, 2020
  10. I don't see why people assume this would get abused hard, with a one minute cooldown and very vague distance measurement, it can only really be used to guess the general direction of a player.

Posted Oct 20, 2020
  11. Dude you already have tracers

Posted Oct 20, 2020
    MadHavic_ likes this.
  12. But they don't work over thousands of blocks.

Posted Oct 20, 2020
  13. Think about the practical uses for this 1, Targeting people 2, Seeing if a clans doing a raid 3, Besiege loot evader (separate issue which fixed a lot better) 4, someone who's at an event in wilderness/borderlands . There's really no need for this and the cons overweigh the practical use or benefits.

Posted Oct 20, 2020
  14. It sounds like a great idea, as you said, it already exists on Survival Games. I love how you are merging ideas from different minigames (The compass itself from SG and the Idea of facing a player from Bridges, brilliant). I think it would be really cool to implement this into Clans, It would speed the game up a bit making it more fun and simultaneously adding more action. I think you would 100% need a durability as otherwise it would be overpowered.

I partly disagree because the whole idea of hiding in the borderlands is that you can sneak up on people, maybe if it was more vague as to where the player was actually located it would be a cool item. But if it shows you exactly there would be no point in hiding in the borderlands.

But overall I think its a good idea, with a few slight changes it could be a good fit for Clans. +1

Posted Oct 20, 2020
  15. What do you mean by 'speed the game up a bit'? Clans doesn't have to be action 24/7 and with borderlands the only times anyone hides in borderlands is to ambush a clan about to do a raid / SK/IW. Sneaking up on people is apart of the game and should be still in the game. A lot of clans such as Calicos for example, if they used the compass to see if phut was at the raid waiting for them to ambush them they wouldn't go and I'm sure there would be other examples of seeing if people are somewhere by using the compass to avoid interaction. If anything, this decreases the amount of action you would get and once again, increases the toxic power clans to small clan advantage. Power clans who are -20 to a duo can just run up on them at anytime anywhere because they would know where they are. Overall, this would ruin a lot of major clan fights, increase power clan to small clan power and would remove the idea of ambushing. The idea has good morals with battling other issues within clans, but would have a majorly negative impact on the game.

Posted Oct 20, 2020
  16. Maybe I skimmed over this too fast, but would this be in lobbies only or in a specific game?

Posted Oct 21, 2020
  17. If I'm right Finova means for this to be in the gamemode Clans, not in the lobbies

Hope I helped :)

Posted Oct 21, 2020
  18. That makes more sense, thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Posted Oct 21, 2020
  19. aosunds good to me finova #EUPRIDE

Posted Oct 21, 2020