• 1387 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5522 Players Online
  • 4135 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned New Command: /unlink

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by cerns, Mar 26, 2020.

?

Add /unlink

1. Yes

90.5%
  2. No

9.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As a follow up to this thread, I am proposing a new /unlink command that would give the player the option to at any time, remove their in-game account on either platform from their forums profile.

• Player goes in-game and types the command "/unlink" in chat
    • Website link pops up in chat that will bring player to a verification page
    • Once account removal is verified, 24 hours will be given for assigned moderation team to respond

Adding this feature would prevent support from having to respond to every individual ticket case of this kind, and prevent the inconvenience of forcing the player to create a ticket over this minor problem.

Players that this command would not exist for:
    • Accounts with an ongoing forum punishment/ban
    • Network banned accounts
    The purpose of the 24 hour wait is more for the purpose of ensuring the forum account user does not attempt to harm the website/forums in any way, and immediately after: remove their account and link it to a new one circumventing the punishment system.

Please share your thoughts and ideas but I will create a poll for those who have nothing to add but would still like to support the thread. Also, thank you @AceSJus and @Oscaros_ for being the inspiration of this thread.

Posted Mar 26, 2020
  2. -1 for reasons above.

Jokes aside, I'm not sure why this isn't a thing and definitely agree with you. Unlinking my account in the past was a pain & generally an endeavor which should be easier. Plus one.

Regards,
    Isaac.

Posted Mar 26, 2020
    Im_Ken and cerns like this.
  3. Hey!

I would like to see this added, it would be a very helpful addition. I know a lot of people who struggle trying to do this and wish there was an easier way. So this needs to be added so this process would be easier. Definitely give this a +1!

Posted Mar 27, 2020
    cerns likes this.
  4. I fully agree with this forum post. The capability of un-linking an account should be brought up more, I don't know how this hasn't been added yet. Thank you for addressing this. +1

Posted Mar 27, 2020
  5. I'm sorry, but I can't support this idea. At least, not for the reasons you've listed.

It seems like the main incentive you've provided here is to make it easier for players with either in-game, forums, or even network-wide punishments to interact with the forums.
    • If a player is banned in-game, their ban will have no bearing on their ability to use the forums
    • If a player is banned on the forums, their ban will have no bearing on their ability to play in-game.
    • If a player is banned across the network, they shouldn't be given any tools to interact with the network whatsoever. They were network banned for a reason, and the Administration most likely doesn't want them to interact with the network in the future if they determined this was the appropriate course of action. (How would they even use the command if they're network banned?)
    Furthermore, I can't think of any reasons this would be a positive addition to the network. This doesn't seem like a wise implementation, and I doubt our web developer would consider it a feature worth spending development time on.

If I'm not mistaken, you can contact our network's Customer Support team to unlink your in-game account with your forums account.

As always, please feel free to respond with any questions, comments, or criticisms.

Posted Mar 27, 2020
  6. Very good points.

Posted Mar 27, 2020
  7. Honestly, I don't think there would be too many reasons to make use of this feature if it is added, but I also can't think of any reasons why it shouldn't be added. I guess there are some situations where players may find this useful, like if they start using an alt account more frequently and would rather link that account to the forums - in this case, a /unlink command would make it a lot easier for the player to change the account that they're linked to on the forums. +1

Posted Mar 27, 2020
    Thexs and Im_Ken like this.
  8. I’m afraid you misunderstood what I was saying.
    • If a player was banned in-game, it would not matter if they had access to the command because they would not even be able to log in to even perform the command.
    • If the player was banned from the forums or had existing warning points, they would NOT have access to the feature to prevent someone from skipping out on their forums punishment.
    • If the player was network banned they would most definitely would not have access to the command but I included that part because it partially falls under the category of forum ban/punishment.
    This would in fact make it not possible for a player with ongoing punishments to perform this command. I apologize if I made that confusing.

Also, if you read the previous thread linked above, you would see the pattern of a disconnect in information supplied by different staff members, regarding the topic of support unlinking accounts. The ultimate decision was that forum accounts would not be unlinked by support unless it fell under a specific criteria that was not explained to me because it was a potential moderation concern, but this thread, if I believe correctly, will successfully create a way for the staff team to control users attempting to circumvent the punishment system. (The three bullets I just explained)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 27, 2020
    xGetRektedx and Im_Ken like this.
  9. I can definitely agree with this idea. It would be far much easier to have a command to unlink your account if you needed it. What you have to go through now- making a ticket and hoping your reasoning is valid- isn’t the most efficient or effective way to unlink your account. I’ve always been curious as to why they never had an unlink command, as they should’ve countered the link command with one. I think this command has been something I’ve been waiting to see added. I love this idea and I really don’t have any objections to it. I know there are a lot of people that could potentially make use of this command, and I think it could definitely work. +1 from me.

Posted Mar 27, 2020
    cerns likes this.
  10. I think this would be a great idea! Currently, it is somewhat hard for a person to get an account's character unlinked from their profile, as the Support Team may not approve of a request to do so. If this command were to be implemented, it would make it easier for people to unlink their account if they wanted to, and it would save some of the Support Team's time, as well as allow them to focus on addressing other player concerns. This idea is supported by the Community, and I do not see a reason as to why an unlink command should not be implemented.

-Dan

Posted Mar 27, 2020
    xGetRektedx and LT Tombstone 77 like this.
  11. Hey there!

I completely agree with your idea, and I think it would be great should it be implemented! I have experienced this on some other servers, and it is such a pain to do a simple task. +1 from me!

Posted Mar 27, 2020
  12. I took a look at your last thread on the matter and I do see some issues. Being able to transfer in-game accounts across different forum accounts doesn't really seem like a good idea for a multitude of reasons, but primarily it allows people to not only "change who they are" on the forums but it also in theory could promote unapproved transactions. Like @MCCharity mentioned in the previous thread, if a transaction that involved an account occurs someone can easily transfer it to their forums account using this command.

I'm not entirely against being able to unlink an account, however I feel that this could be abused. I think since this really is a case-by-case basis issue it should be left to support to make the final decision on the matter. There's too many theoretical issues that could cause problems down the road, especially for moderation. I think players should be allowed to unlink accounts, but only if they have gone through support first.

Posted Mar 27, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  13. Thread Moved to Website Feedback
    I don't have much to comment on this as I am not too knowledgeable with how the current linking system effects the game for players. From first look, this seems like it would be nice but I do see some relevant concerns being brought up. Again, I don't have too much to say about it and won't be giving a rating on it, I just wanted to move it to a more appropriate section to give you better feedback. Have a good day!

Posted Mar 27, 2020
  14. This is a very nice QoL change you have come up with. Logically, /link should be reversible just like connecting accounts on different parts for the network to each other (ie. Discord username and tag in information tab of forums account). This is much more efficient compared to creating tickets or a new Xenforo account and retracing everything there. This can be useful when accounts go through changes in ownership which occurs quite often as people move on in life.

The only con is that it can be abused to provide a fake image of one. When someone applies for trainee or any sub-team, they can simply unlink and then use a different account with a clean punishment history to bury everything that happened in the past. I suggest also embedding a case-by-case procedure before unlinking and then relinking. Another approach can be letting all recruiters of their teams/sub-teams knowing the applicant's account history and applying that to every stage of the hiring process.

+0.5

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications

Posted Mar 27, 2020
  15. Fair enough, I'll admit that I may not have fully understood your rationale behind this implementation. I've also taken time to skim your previous thread, and I apologize for incorrectly asserting you can remove your Minecraft account via Customer Support.

That being said, we've established that, for whatever reason, the network has actively taken a stance against allowing users to remove their Minecraft accounts. By suggesting they implement this command, you're effectively asking them to change their stance on the matter. Why should Mineplex suddenly allow players to unlink their accounts, and why would they put developer resources towards the matter? More to the point, why is this a worthwhile addition to Mineplex?

I'm not trying to devalue your idea, I'm just trying to grasp a better understanding of why this should be implemented. Thanks!

Posted Mar 27, 2020
  16. Hey!

The main issue with this idea is that support does not want to give people free reign to unlink their account from the forums. Although in-theory this idea could be nice, it would be hard to pull off and for a whole slew of moderation reasons and potential issues this command will not be implemented. However, support may unlink accounts in some cases so it's always worth checking with them first.

Thank being said, I'll be marking this as Not Planned.

Thread Locked -> Not Planned

Posted Mar 27, 2020
    Wiz2K and _Prof_ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.