• 1795 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10233 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Nerfing Frosting

Discussion in 'Cake Wars' started by Gennn, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Is it just me that feels like the Frosting kit needs a lot of work to make it more balanced?

I love the kit, I really do, and I love that people work to complete the achievements to receive it. But it's still extremely overpowered, and I can't even get the kit because other people have it.

Literally, regardless of armor/weapon, 90% of the time if a player throws a frosting ball at you they automatically win the fight, no joke. It's extremely overpowered. Am I just a salty person that nobody cares about or what?

Posted Jul 15, 2019
  2. First of all, this thread has been made over 100 times, so I'd consider checking those out first, so it's not just you "being a salty person" to use your own words.

Here's a few recent ones:
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/nerfing-removing-frosting.52449/
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/a-way-to-nerf-frosting.42035/
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/remove-snowballs-from-cake-wars.34587/
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/cake-wars-frosting-kit.33055/

Also, slightly confused what you mean by you can't get it because other people have it? It's an achievement kit, meaning it'll take time to get, so just have patience, take each achievement one at a time and focus on that one achievement if you have to. Of course, if you just play a lot you will naturally get some of the achievements.

Here's a link for a player guide to getting frosting: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/jakes-unofficial-guide-to-achieving-frosting.34930/ created by @Jaekub

~ Zom

Posted Jul 15, 2019
    Ocelotguyy, doeo, Saker and 2 others like this.
  3. Frosting kit is pretty damn frustrating. But usually if someone says that frosting = win there's a whole lot of "it's perfectly balanced" and "git gud". As in, it's not going to change any time soon. Much earlier on in its cycle it actually got a decent nerf but it's still super dumb, to the point that competetive league matches of Cake Wars have a rule against more than one Frosting being on a team at a time.

Even being a Frosty yourself isn't exactly an effective counter to them, though, as in my experience it's actually surprisingly difficult to use. But that might just be me. I can still give a few tips as to how to beat them, though:

Frosting is a Warrior counter. Warriors mostly rely on being able to win fights, and generally makes you stronger at defeating 2 or more enemies at a time. Not so good at killing someone that's hard to hit. So my advice would be to stick with builder or archer.

Archers, while basically needing to get 12 bricks every time they die, actually have the stronger projectile. If you can hit your enemies effectively, then they can be significantly wounded by the time you get to them. Alternatively, you can run across a bridge and attempt to shoot them off if they try to chase you. Bonus is they get really toxic and call you a "bow spamer" if you do that. :)

Builder is my favorite kit. It is the number one zoning kit in cake wars. The best strategy to beat Frosting is to approach sideways. As in, don't go head-on, or else it's pretty damn likely they'll kill you. There's always off-guard kills and clean-up kills, but with the allowance of using blocks in this gamemode you can quite quickly set up a choke point to knock them off. If a frosting kit is chasing you at a far enough range, you can place two platforms off of the edge of the island and block it up to make it difficult to approach you. Or, you can just suffocate them if they're dumb enough to try to run at you directly. Getting better at holding bridges like this will not only win you duels, but even fights against 2 or more people. By making a path in which your opponent is not sure where to proceed, each member of the opposition will try out their own unique strategy, which generally results in them approaching you one at a time, which is the easiest way for them to get knocked off. That's how I get 10 kills in one life. Fake them out by showing them a way to proceed, and then predict their movements.

I could quite literally go on and on about how insanely useful Builder is, but that's not even the point of this thread so I'll stop there. Hopefully this is even remotely helpful, because trust me I understand your pain and frustration with Frosting kit. It will get easier as you improve :)

-beeb

Posted Jul 15, 2019
    ParkerGG and Zomaholic like this.
  4. Hey Gennn, I don't know if you've heard it yet but they plan to nerf frosting. I'm unsure of what the nerf consists of, but it is being nerfed. So hopefully the new nerf will provide more balance between the kits as a whole.

Posted Aug 7, 2019
  5. Yes, in my opinion the slowness is just so GOOD! I feel like I can never hit the player when they hit me with frosting no matter what. I don't have frosting, maybe I'm salty, but I think it should be nerfed aswell.

Posted Aug 9, 2019
  6. Hello, here are some ways to counter frosting: Strafe, strafing is when you use your A and D key to move side to side in order to dodge attacks and disorient opponents, This will help you dodge the frosting balls and kill the frosting users. I personally don't think frosting is that overpowered, It was nerfed substantially and is really easy to avoid.

Posted Aug 9, 2019
  7. Hello! I personally agree with you, the frosting kit in Cake Wars is really overpowered, so I would love to see it get nerfed. One way I would personally do that is by making the snowball do 0 damage, because when you get hit by the snowball, it deals one to one and a half damage to me during the start of the game, so that's like a free sword hit, but a snowball.

Anyways, frosting definitely should get nerfed in my opinion.

Posted Aug 9, 2019
  8. Hello, @CreepBro06 I have to correct a mistake you made, Frosting (with leather armor) does about 0 hearts to 0.5 hearts. Without armor is does 1/2 hearts of damage like you said. Have a great day :D

Posted Aug 9, 2019
    PR0M0T3D likes this.
  9. I also would like to see it get nerfed. But at the same time, the kit is a well earned one. In contrast, if it was easier to obtain, it probably wouldn't be as overpowered. I would say make it 2 seconds instead of 3 seconds for the slowness, but that's just me.

Posted Aug 9, 2019
  10. The kit itself can be very easy to go against if you know how to take advantage of the slowness by either running away or blocking your sword to reduce the damage of hearts you may take. I also run side to side to dodge the snowballs but yeah it can be frustrating to fight against if a team have it against you. I personally don't mind it too much now than when it first came out. Personally I would like to see a nerf as the slowness 2 for 3 seconds is very over powered in my opinion

Posted Aug 9, 2019
  11. While you are right that the snowballs from the snowman kit are nice, they are by no means op. Most of the other kits can outdamage snowman with better projectiles or use triple jumps to get into the snowman's face! No nerfs needed!

Posted Aug 10, 2019
  12. This doesn't make sense.

How many people have the kit doesn't really affect the power of it.

Posted Aug 10, 2019
    Saker likes this.
  13. Hey there,

Frosting in the hands of a really good player can be extremely powerful. I agree that it needs some sort of nerf. I think reducing the slowness would be a good way to accomplish this without making the kit irrelevant or feel less like an achievement kit. The largest problem I have with frosting is that once a combo is started by the player using frosting, it’s pretty hard to escape it, especially since it gives slowness. If the slowness applied to you by the snowballs was lessened, I do see the kit being more manageable and easier to counter.

Posted Aug 10, 2019
  14. Creeper? Aww Man

Posted Aug 10, 2019
  15. Frosting is completely balanced. What do you mean?

Posted Aug 15, 2019
  16. The topic of nerfing of frosting has been buzzing around in among the community for a year now. I sometimes get salty too with people overwhelming me with frosting in Cake Wars. The only counter to that is block placing but you must be accurate and quick with it, quite complicated for most players to master.

I believe frosting should have no effects from snowballs. Rod in PvP is very powerful if used correctly and that is pretty much what the snowballs are replicating. Slowness and shrinking of a player's melee range clearly goes too overboard.

+1

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Aug 15, 2019
    pzazz and Danese like this.

17. I can see what you mean here, although the people with it did earn it. Earning it could take a while. let us have our fun <3

Posted Aug 15, 2019
  18. I have finally grinded frosting for myself, and my opinion has not changed, in fact it has only been made stronger.

Frosting is unbalanced and should be modified. If used correctly you will win most 1v1 situations.

Frosting feels good to use.
    Frosting vs frosting can be good, but the slowness is annoying there
    Using another kit vs frosting feels bad, and frosting has the advantage most of the time.

Just my quick thoughts now that I have acquired the kit, better balance suggestion coming later™

Posted Aug 15, 2019
    Apollo317 and _Prof_ like this.
  19. I definitely agree with this. Other players in-game can't even buy fishing rods but an achievement kit gives you that effect and makes the other players slow? It's extremely powerful regardless of how long it takes to get.

Posted Aug 15, 2019
  20. The reason I find the frosting kit to be such a problem is because the slowness makes it so much harder to win any fight if you have less gear. I think having better gear should be something that gives you an advantage but when it comes down to it the person better at pvp should win. The problem comes because the cps on hits are limited and prevents combo from a fast cps. Now, I'm not saying that necessarily is the problem because you could still combo by strafing if you're good enough. However, once slowed strafing becomes tons more difficult and that is where the problem occurs.

Posted Aug 15, 2019