• 356 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2935 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

[Nano Games] New Rope Design

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by Danese, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Hello all!

Literally every time I play the nano game Jump Rope, half of the lobby dies on the first go, and another quarter dies on the second.
    This is due to the unreliable nature of the rope's hitbox, and the inaccurate appearance the hitbox's size possesses from the rope design itself.
    Anyways, here's a possible solution I think many people will very much enjoy...

-Dan

Posted Feb 8, 2020
    Jaek, JMPhase and Lord_of_Creeper like this.
  2. Thread moved to Game Alterations
    It seems like having moving blocks, and three rows of them, would cause much more lag/frame drops than the particles. I'm also not 100% on the same page that it needs to be changed, it isn't meant to be easy, and if you get the right strategies, you can get well into the game with little effort. I would be in favor of a small change that better displays the rope, but I'm not sure we've found it yet.

Posted Feb 8, 2020
    Crazyy_Tim likes this.
  3. Thank you for the feedback!

I would like to point out that this is a demo video. As such, when actually coding the game itself, there is a lot more flexibility in what can be done. So I think it would be very possible to make the rope only consist of a singular row of blocks.

No, you're right. The game isn't meant to be easy. That said, the game isn't meant to be unenjoyable either. I was not exaggerating when I said that 1/2 of the lobby is knocked off in the first swing and that another quarter is knocked off in the second swing. The fact is that the game is nearly unplayable for an extremely large amount of people and unreliable for the rest.

A game needs a challenge, yes; but, it also needs to allow for players to actually be able to play the game. A game that kills nearly everyone within the first seconds of the match is, in my opinion, a big issue. And though there are a number of factors that contribute to this issue, the largest issue that I have noticed is that the rope is very difficult to actually determine if you jumped over it or not. This is due to, again, the hitbox not being accurately represented by the particles being used.

Sure, you could increase the particle size; however, for players who almost always have their particles disabled (which is actually a fairly large amount of people), having an entity take the rope's place would completely eliminate this issue. And, by having an entity represent the rope, the location of the rope would become much easier to determine.

In the video I made, I explicitly included video content of the game itself to demonstrate this issue. The particles "flicker." This is due to how particles work and attempting to make them become less laggy for the majority of the players playing (or so I presume). Having an entity would completely eliminate this factor. And the only things that would need to happen for the rope would be to have the rope revolve around a certain point. (This is actually how I made my version of the rope itself. I had location armor stands that would spawn "rope armor stands" at relative x y coordinates, which were calculated by multiplying x y coordinates of the unit circle by a constant (I used 2)).

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 8, 2020