• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10000 Players Online
  • 7110 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Nano Games Alterations

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by Disgruntle, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Hey, I've been playing nano games quite regularly the last few weeks with friends and we noticed some aspects in which the minigames involved could potentially be improved to make it more fair for players. Please bear in mind these ideas apply to nano games only. I'd appreciate any constructive feedback please, if it could be left below that would be great :)

[​IMG]

Whilst the aim of Nano Games is to be a casual game, in my opinion there should be more to the game, and I hope others agree. Thanks for your time :)

Posted Jul 14, 2020
  2. The Nano Battles change seems fair enough. I've personally never seen one of those games last until the end of the timer, but if in the rare chance that it does, it seems like a fair compromise for the team with the most players remaining to win.

The Gladiators issue does happen, but I don't think it happens enough to warrant making every single live map smaller because you can usually manage to corner someone if they're running away - you can easily cut them off because the maps aren't large enough to run in a circle on.

I don't think the Sploor change would work. The points are equal to the wool on the map, and the point of the game is to paint the wool your colour and paint over the opposing team's colour, so inflating the game with extra points that you cannot "steal" from your opponents and that could encourage just killing your opponents instead of actually painting the map could move the gameplay away from what it currently is which I don't think is necessary nor would it be an improvement to the game.

For the Colour Swap maps, if it's too dark to see the colours, you could submit it as a map issue and they'll add lighting to the map. I think for some maps, it being night time is an aesthetic choice, so I don't think we should force them to be day time.

Zombie Survival is currently planned to be removed because it's "unpopular, long, luck-based, boring and because Death Tag is already a thing" so the change you suggested would be irrelevant.

For the bridge challenge in Quick, there is not enough space on the maps for 24 separated booths, so I don't think there's anything we can do to stop players hijacking other people's bridges. You can always just place blocks behind you if someone is using your bridge which might slow them down a little bit.

For Copy Cat, I can consistently get 10-11 rounds so I don't think that needs extra time. I've seen some more experienced nano players get 13/14 rounds completed so it's definitely doable with enough skill.

Posted Jul 14, 2020
  3. Hey @Xukuwu thanks for the feedback :) I just have a few comments of my own to elaborate on my original points.

As for the comment on the Sploor change, I see what you mean, however there's no reason why the points can't be added additionally to the total team score. Of course those points can't be stolen through territory, however I like to think of the idea of them as being "base points" in a way. It would just make more sense to me if kills counted towards the points.

I see your point about the Gladiators suggestion, it perhaps is a little too much hassle to fix something so minor, but can be frustrating when people do run for the duration of the game and stalls players from progressing to new rounds to fight. Maybe something like what normal Gladiators has, where both players suffer gradual health reduction should the game be stalled, could be a good idea.

For your feedback on the bridge challenge on the other hand, the idea of blocking up behind you to prevent others using your bridge is impractical. First, it takes time away from your bridging which in a fast-paced game can affect the result of the game. Also once a player reaches the other side, they instantly become a spectator and cannot place more blocks. If map size is a problem, perhaps the maps could be increased in size to allow for 24 separate booths, the maps for the bridge challenge aren't overly complex so I hope it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience to implement this change.

On Copy Cat, it's impressive that you do manage to consistently get 10-11 rounds, this wasn't a major change on my list, just thought the achievement would be more doable for some players less experienced in nano games. I have seen people get above 10 rounds, but only rarely. I can see why this might not be necessary though.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply, definitely a lot of useful info up there.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 14, 2020
    Aweary and Rilau like this.
  4. Nano games, just like others, need an update. I agree with most of these on the list besides one. I feel like Copy Cat should stay how it is. It took me a while to get the achievement, and it was frustrating. I just think it should be challenging to get achievements like this because it shouldn't all be easy. Other than that, I really like the alterations you made for the other games!

Posted Jul 15, 2020
    Rilau and Disgruntle like this.
  5. Hi! You introduce a lot of interesting ideas and I'd like to share my own thoughts on some of them =)

In Nano Battles, It's very rare for the game to go all the way until the timer runs out. I do agree that there should be some winner, instead of a tie where nobody wins, because that's not rewarding. The problem I have with the idea, however, is that the game will be less oriented around fighting. Teams of players will likely camp together, and if none of them die, then they get an easy win despite doing nearly nothing. A better way that this could be solved, is if the timer is removed. If this were to take place, corruption would end each game similar to how Micro Battles works, and there wouldn't be any ties!

For Gladiators, I feel as though the issue is only present during the last round, when there isn't as much time as there usually is. I don't think the problem is as big as its portrayed, but I definitely agree that the game is designed for fighting and not running. Although I don't agree with making the maps smaller (this would involve changing every single map, and there are over 50 of them!), I can get behind a change where running is less prominent in the meta.

The Idea behind Sploor is to capture as much territory as you can, and getting points based off of kills would bring the game in the wrong direction in my opinion. Besides, killing people actually gives a huge advantage. Typically, the area around one teams spawn is already painted to their color. What this means, is that if you die, you're going to have to run quite a bit to start efficiently painting the wool again. For this reason, I believe that killing people giving no points is fine the way it currently is.

Sometimes a map is nighttime themed because it fits the aesthetics of the map better. However, I do agree that it can be difficult to see some of the colors. I think that we can keep the night themed maps, but just add more light. As @Xukuwu says, you can always submit a map issue =)

In Zombie Survival, I feel like the central idea is to survive zombies and not other players, but it would certainly be more interesting and competitive. I'm fairly neutral on this change.

Disregarding the fact that there is not enough room to house 24 players in the bridging mini game, I don't think this would be a good change because sharing bridges is an integral part of the game. There are many strategies revolving around blocking off bridges, hopping between bridges, etc. to improve your chances of winning.

I manage to get at least to round 10 every round in Copy Cat with my highest round being 12, but I remember when I started off I could only get to round 7. It took over 2,000 games played, but I eventually got better. Copy Kitty is one of the hardest and most skill based achievements compared to some of the other achievements in nano games, and I wouldn't like to see this change.

Thank you for your suggestions <3

Posted Jul 15, 2020
    Xukuwu and Disgruntle like this.
  6. Thanks for the feedback @Border and @Rilau :)

Yeah I see your points. I guess if someone really wants the Copy Cat achievement then they'll invest time practicing it. Your idea of removing the timer similarly to MB could be interesting actually, and would probably work better than just the side with the most players winning, as MB and Nano Games are very much focused around a last man standing type of game.

For Sploor I see the advantage in killing players currently, however it's not as easy as that. There's a lot of cleaning in the game, you might kill someone then someone else on the other team cleans you and sends you back to the base. So ultimately it doesn't seem that effective to me that kills just send people back to the base, as it happens for both teams and it doesn't feel rewarding when you kill someone, which is why I suggested the idea of kills counting towards points.

As I said previously about the bridging game, I don't see why the map can't be extended to allow for more room, they're not overly complex maps. More light on Colour Swap instead of completely changing the time of the map could be fine as well, as long as people can see the colours clearly. Xukuwu mentioned above that Zombie Survival is being removed anyway so my suggestion is irrelevant there.

The health reduction idea I posted above could fix game stalling in Gladiators, so the contestants have no option but to fight or eventually lose by default, since there's 50+ maps in Gladiators, I agree it's not worth reducing the size of every map to fix a fairly minor issue. Again, thanks, good to see so many different viewpoints :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 15, 2020
    Aweary and Rilau like this.
  7. I agree with most of these suggestions apart from the last three.

Zombie Survival:
    It would be a bit unfair to add more things to kill players as there are already zombies that spawn on the floor. It is planning to be removed anyway.

Bridge Quick challenge:
    I do not agree at all. I don't believe that the intention for this challenge was to see who can bridge the fastest, it is simply just who can get to the other side first. If everyone spawned in their own booth it would be a completely different challenge and I don't see it working out.

Copy Cat:
    I think that the time is fine. People who have a lot of wins but not the Copy Kitty Achievement most likely tend to avoid the game instead of improving in it. I personally found the achievement very difficult until I started playing it more and now I can consistently reach Levels 11-12.

Posted Jul 15, 2020
    Disgruntle likes this.
  8. Heya!

So overall I like most of these ideas, however there are a few areas here that don't need to be implemented in my own opinion.

1. Gladiators I feel is fine the way it is, as I don't usually have much trouble in regards to time and map size. However maybe a little downsizing wouldn't hurt if it is really needed.

2. I don't think sploor would work as the points is by blocks painted, not by points. In my opinion killing a player and setting them back to their spawn is good enough as it sets that player back making them lose valuable time to paint blocks. So I do not think this is needed or even possible.

3. For zombie survival, the overall idea is to survive the zombies and be the last standing. The game by itself is already difficult, and adding the ability for players to hit others off would make the game so quick it would be almost pointless.

4. Now for the copy cat im more in between on. I myself do not have this achievement, and it is very very hard to get. One thing that time would be nice to try and get it, but if it was added I feel, for one, the game would feel to long and drawn out. And not only that, but achievements are supposed to be too easy, so I think being able to get that copy cat achievement really is and achievement to get. So overall I feel this may not be the best idea to add.

These are my own thoughts on this, everything else in your ideas list I agree with and feel would make a great update!

Posted Jul 15, 2020
    Disgruntle likes this.
  9. As an avid Nano player, I definitely agree with a lot of your ideas.

1) I agree with your Nano Battles alteration. I personally have never experienced no one winning the game due to the time running out, but I can see how it can be an issue for no one to win the game. Giving the win to the team with the most players seems fair.

2) Eh, not really sure how I feel about minimizing map size for Gladiators. I have experienced the issue where players run away from you to stall the game, but I don't think it's big enough of a problem to change all the maps. It happens occasionally, but not that often. As stated above, there are over 50 maps to decrease in size and I feel that would be a lot of work.

3) I disagree with your Sploor idea. The point of the game is to paint blocks and gain territory, not kill players, and I think that keeping to this theme would be best suitable. I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think that killing players should add points to your team.

4) 100% agree with your Color Swap idea - nighttime maps can make darker colors really hard to see even if your brightness is up. Yes, nighttime is an aesthetic of these maps, but I think it should be turned to daytime to make gameplay better.

5) I have heard that they're removing Zombie Survival, so can't really say too much here.

6) Don't really have much of an opinion on the bridging one, I would be fine either way.

7) I disagree with the Copy Cat one - there are strategies to make yourself faster in this game (f5 mode in particular) - I've gotten to level 10 countless times without any problem. It just takes practice and if the game were increased by 30 seconds a ton of people would easily get it.

Posted Jul 15, 2020
    Disgruntle likes this.
  10. Personally, I think these are some great alterations. I think especially with sploor players could receive +100 points on kill and could maybe even receive -50 on death.

Posted Jul 29, 2020
    Disgruntle likes this.