• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7220 Players Online
  • 4330 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Mute Alternative

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Jacob1Jacob2, Jul 4, 2020.

?

Should this be added?

1. Yes with more word options

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes with these same words

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Yes with less word options

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. No

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have you ever gotten muted for no reason? Well too bad because now you have to wait out the mute. But the muting system should be changed so instead of you can't saying anything, you can talk but only a very limited vocabulary. Basically if you tried to talk when your muted, you'll just get the reason why your muted, but maybe just maybe players could have a new command /chat and would have only these words the say if muted
    • Hey
    • Yes
    • No
    • GG
    • I'm muted
    • Ok
    As you can see these words are very limited but at least would give some way to talk to players if muted. When you use the /chat command, the list of words will pop up on the screen and you can click on them with the mouse and will type that word in the chat. Or the players can use /chat and the word on the list like /chat No. I have been muted a lot of times and had to rename my pet to im muted as the only way to talk to people when muted. Many players renamed their pets so they can respond to questions and such like I did myself but this system can be better.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  2. This would completely defeat the purpose of mutes. The purpose is so you cant talk when you’ve broken a “rule”.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  3. Not really because you can only say 6 words instead of over 10,000

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 4, 2020
  4. As by the dictionary definition, he is correct.

adjective
    1. 1.
      refraining from speech or temporarily speechless.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    xGetRekted and FluteVegetables like this.
  5. Hey!

I'm afraid I disagree with this idea. The purpose of a mute is to stop the user from being able to speak. It is also a "punishment" and I don't think we should be taking dev time to accommodate for people who are breaking Mineplex's rules. I don't really see the purpose of allowing people to say these phrases, especially since users have a preference to "notify others when muted". Have a nice day

Edit: Please also note that by renaming pets to communicate whilst muted, you are actually breaking another mineplex's rules (mineplex.com/rules) and you could be punished further for doing so.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  6. hihi
    If you've been muted unfairly, you can appeal at mineplex.com/appeals. If that appeal is accepted, you'll be unmuted and free to say whatever you want on the network (as long as it abides by the rules). Otherwise, there's likely a valid reason behind why you were muted in the first place.

An immediate issue I see with this is having multiple options allows spam. The spam filter is easily bypassed through simply putting a message in-between each repeated sentence, so muted players would have the ability to constantly spam "Yes" "No" "Yes" "No" over and over. Considering a mute's purpose is to prevent rules from being broken, I can't imagine implementing this would be particularly helpful. Even more, if I were muted for spamming, this wouldn't be effective at all. There wouldn't be any possibility to prevent me spamming from happening, unless you were to suggest another kind of mute which stopped players from having access to /chat at all - which not only would be a hassle for staff and room for more rule breaking for players, but it also leads to another question: What's the point of having this feature considering that risk?

When you're muted, you broke a rule, so you have to face the consequences. It's definitely not a fun experience, but it's also the result of your actions. You'll want to say things like "yes" to have conversation, but you lost the privilege to do that (for a certain period of time) when you broke rules. It would certainly be difficult to carry out a conversation with such limited phrases to say, even if you had the option to speak while being muted.

Also, it would likely be misleading for people if you responded to one of their questions with /chat and then never spoke again. I don't see why you'd want to have a conversation when muted anyways if you only had 6 different words you could type. That in mind, though, it might be nice to inform people you were muted without them having to DM you. Maybe it would be a preference to send the "<player> is muted and cannot respond" message when someone pinged you, and not just when someone dmed you.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  7. Hi! I understand how frustrating it can be when you're not able to answer people because you're muted. However, I don't think that this should be implemented. I feel like this command would defeat the purpose of being muted, which is not being able to talk in chat in any sort of way. Mutes are supposed to teach you a lesson when you've broken a rule by not being able to talk, hence the punishment type. Like _Brandon stated, there's already a preference to inform when muted when someone tries to message a player who is muted by using /msg or /tell. I'll add that there's also alternative ways to communicate with your friends so that you can talk to them while you're muted that don't involve the chat. You can use a communication platform such as Skype, TeamSpeak, or Discord if you have to since Mineplex's rules don't apply to a private Discord or TeamSpeak server (as well as a group chat in Skype). Have a wonderful day!

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    Rilauwu / rilau and xGetRekted like this.
  8. Surely just an "im muted" would be a god send so when someone tries to talk to you, you dont end up looking like you are just ignoring them

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    Danese likes this.
  9. You can definitely appeal and report the staff member who unfairly muted you either to their respective mentor (mineplex.com/staff under Staff Management) or creat a support ticket (mineplex.com/support). Rules and punishments should be strict depending on the case. If Mineplex were to make this addition, surely to make things fair the banning sytem should be reworked as well, or else it'd be too unfair. I understand you're making this idea considering unfair mutes, but what about fair mutes? This sounds too lenient for me and quite strange (as others said, it goes against the name ''mute'').

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    RainbowUnicornGM likes this.
  10. I disagree. If it's a false mute, you can appeal it and it will be removed. The entire purpose of being muted is a consequence because you broke one of our chats rules. Being able to still communicate with people completely goes against this since you're able to chose when you want to say. We already let players tell others they're muted using /msg, and I feel that it is sufficient.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  11. I think that you should only have the opportunity to say I'm muted, although it may defeat the purpose of a mute, they won't be able to say anything else that could potentially cause more harm or extension to there mute and by saying 'I'm muted' people would know instead of thinking that the player is just ignoring them.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    bundled_code likes this.
  12. I think this was suggested a long time ago and was shut down. The point of a mute is to literally not be able to say anything to anyone, people can use these phrases to continue to "troll" in a sense or spam, even with a filter/limit, it can be super annoying to see a lot of these messages over time. You can use other software to communicate to your friends if necessary, but a mute on the server should help serve as a lesson to not break the rules next time if you value your sense/freedom of communication so much.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  13. While I can understand your reasoning to an extent, I do not think this is a good system to have in place. If you receive a mute, then it is on you for not following the rules. If you feel that a mute was unjustified then you are well within your right to appeal. However, just because you are silenced, I do not think that means you should have the ability to send pre-determined messages because it defeats the purpose of the mute.

The reason all chat privileges are taken away, is because you've done something wrong and need to take time to learn from the mistakes. Hopefully, if the ability to have conversations with your peers is something you missed and valued then you won't make the same mistake again.
    If you are muted and someone messages you, the player will get a notification that you are muted. This means there is no risk of someone feeling ignored.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    Rilauwu / rilau and xGetRekted like this.
  14. Hello!
    Unfortunately, I’m going to have to disagree with this idea. Though I respect your input, the purpose of a mute is to learn from breaking the rules, and learn growth so you don’t break rules in the future. If players who were muted had access to fewer words, they still could refrain from learning. Also, it’s extremely rare that you get muted for “no reason”. On the rare occasion that you do get muted for a reason you believe isn’t against mineplex rules, I’d advise you read through https://www.mineplex.com/appeal-guide to appeal, and https://www.mineplex.com/rules/#wwwMpTabs-3 to educate yourself on the rules of the server, forums, and discord. Thank you for sharing your idea!

Warm wishes,
    BrookMarieXO

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  15. Sorry but I have to say no. It's kinda ruins the point of being mute. You are supposed to learn from being mute.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  16. I understand how the purpose of a mute is to punish by not being allowed to communicate, Maybe there could be some sort of like tag under the username like 'Santas helper' 'Gem Mcscrooge' etc. and replace that with I am muted :(

Just a suggestion :P

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  17. Pretty much as stated above, the entire purpose of a mute is to prevent a player from any means of communication in game in order to prevent them from further being malicious or breaking the rules in chat. Adding a feature that allows them to have a restricted vocabulary would defeat the purpose. It also has a few open doors of being easily abused; someone could get muted for spam but proceed to spam their limited terms after being muted in order to further be malicious.

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  18. Just out of curiosity, what exactly is a false mute?

Posted Jul 5, 2020
  19. When a lobby is receiving lots of messages in it, a staff member may make a mistake and mute the wrong player. That would be a false mute. Furthermore a staff member may also just make a mistake and mute for something not punishable, at the end of the day, they're also human and can make mistakes.

Posted Jul 5, 2020
    jacvb likes this.
  20. This would make mutes more of a joke than they currently are. The point of muting is so you cannot talk, so implementing this might as well just make them downright useless.

Posted Jul 5, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.