• 527 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8965 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Murder Mystery?

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by Franjona, Oct 2, 2019.

?

Yay or Nay

1. Yay

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Nay

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Hi Development Team!

I've been thinking of the game Murder Mystery and how much I enjoyed it years ago. There was this one dead server and nobody played anything on it but the murder mystery.

I feel like adding MM (Murder Mystery abbreviation) would be a big hit in the server. It would bring casual game players into our beautiful server. You'd have Sherriff who starts with a 1 shot P250 that has a cooldown of 10 seconds.

Then, you'd have bystanders who would run around picking up diamonds that randomly spawn around the map. When they get 5 diamonds, they get a P250 as well.

Finally, the murderer. The murderer would have a 1 shot sword that if he right clicks, will turn into a projectile (arrow with particles so that bystanders can see the projectile easier) that is also a 1 shot kill.

I feel like this game would be a great addition because on other servers, murder mystery is incredibly popular.

Posted Oct 2, 2019
  2. Thread Moved to New Game Discussion

As much as I like this idea, I believe there is one major problem with adding this game. Because several servers already have Murder Mystery, bringing MM to Mineplex may accuse the server of copying their games. It would be best if we do not "steal" ideas from other networks to prevent unwanted accusations, which may damage Mineplex's reputation. However, this idea seems a bit different from ones I've seen in other servers but I think it may need some more changes to differentiate the game mode from others. For example, this suggestion revolves around a completely different theme, carrots. I think the idea is pretty good, but with some changes, especially the theme, I think it would be a fun addition to the server.

Posted Oct 2, 2019
  3. Hey there!

As @AceSJus said above, many other servers have Murder Mystery. Maybe we could name it Mafia? And if we did eventually add the game, we would have to make some changes to it. I think rather than a bow for the detective, we could use a texture pack as a revolver for it, similar to Mine-Strike's Desert Eagle skin Golden Gun. Anyways, I remain neutral. Until I hear other suggestions, I will make my decision whether I give it a +1 or -1. Have a good day!

Posted Oct 3, 2019
  4. Hey!

I love the general idea of a murder mystery on Mineplex. I feel that a murder mystery should be medium paced and fun, I think the idea you have suggested, while similar to murder mystery games on other servers, is good. While it would still need some changes to make it completely unique to Mineplex, this is a good start. I personally don't count having the same concept and similar features as 'copying' since all murder mystery games are basically from Gary's mod. However, I do understand wanting the game to be unique and different to other servers iterations of murder mystery type games. Since Mineplex has Minestrike, I think that using the Minestrike texture pack for the weapons would be crucial to make the game feel and look different. Maybe there can be a gun upgrade system, so if you get 10 diamonds you get a Desert Eagle or some sort of weapon upgrade. To make it feel more unique, you could make it so that no weapon can one shot players, so when you get a gun upgrade it feels special, as the new gun will do more damage than the previous. Also I think the sword should only do 8 hearts per hit, as one shot is a bit overpowered, but I can see why it 1 shot would work better, as hearing the hits from the sword would lead people to the killer. Overall, I would love a murder mystery type game and your idea, while similar to the murder mystery games on other servers, could work if many changes were made to make the game feel a bit more unique. Thanks for posting this thread!

Posted Oct 3, 2019
    Dallarth likes this.
  5. Hey!

I personally love the idea of adding a Murder Mystery game mode to Mineplex, it's a game mode that I really like and I think for the most part the majority of players would also like to see it added. However, as people have mentioned above, implementing it may make Mineplex subject to "copying" accusations by a lot of players. Personally I don't believe that any game mode can be "copied" from another server, unless you straight up copy and paste absolutely every aspect, I think that every game mode gets inspiration from somewhere, and it's not really fair to accuse Mineplex of copying. Unfortunately, I do think these allegations of "copying" have made Mineplex quite hesitant when it comes to adding popular game modes to the server, as unique twists are always attempted to be thought of to avoid the allegations. However, from a game development standpoint, thinking of a unique twist to add to a game and then considering the other aspects such as making sure it's balanced is definitely not an easy feat.

Overall, if Mineplex could come up with some sort of twist on the game mode which still makes it fun and enjoyable to play then it might be possible to add a Murder Mystery mode, but since this is definitely not easy to do, it may take a long time or might not even happen at all. I appreciate the idea and taking the time to write this thread!

Posted Oct 3, 2019
  6. Hey!

Murder Mystery can be a lot of fun, but I'm sure that Mineplex want to create something original, something that cannot be found on any other Minecraft server.

However, the concept of the game is really cool, so I think that it could be something near to Murder Mystery, only with some cool features added or some twists into the game as they always do.

So overall, I'm gonna give your idea a +1!

Posted Oct 3, 2019
  7. Hi!

I sadly have to disagree...
    I personally love to play Murder Mystery, no doubt. It is just kind of hard to add it in, because so many servers have it in now. It would not really bring much interest, because you can play it on any other server.
    I would suggest trying to come up with original things that could be added into Murder Mystery for the game to stand out. Then it may be a good thing for Mineplex.

Have a good day/night!

Posted Oct 3, 2019
  8. Thanks Guys,

But I've been working on a new solution to the plagiarism. First of all, I like the bunny theme, but It makes me think of the mod Bunni for some reason lol. Secondly, we should have abilities!

Murderer: Has a leap ability, and can have an ink-sac that triggers smoke bomb every 2 kills. It's like sneaky assassin but a little more balanced.

Sherrif: He has the Deagle (golden gun) and he can maybe have some investigate ability like the smell humans ability from wither assault, but doesn't list names.

Bystander: Bystanders are pretty general. They run around picking up diamonds. As suggested above, they pick up 10 diamonds and they get a gun upgrade like arms race. They'll work up to a powerful gun. They can have a blink ability like in champions.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 3, 2019
    SpookySymmetry likes this.
  9. +1

Always been a fan of murder mystery. Would be exciting to see how mineplex would make their own version of it.

Posted Oct 7, 2019
  10. Hello!
    As much as I love murder mystery, I feel it has been overdone, and all the servers that have it all have the exact same game. If Mineplex were to implement Murder Mystery, I feel it would do more harm than good. Especially if accused of stealing the game concept. I think in order for this to be implemented it needs a new name, a new twist, and maybe something for the Innocents to do like being able to trick the murderer, or like a last resort kind of thing and maybe having special kits for murderer, detective, and (innocents especially) so it's not so boring for the innocents, but it also stands out from other servers. I think if you were to add some more detail, It would be a great game!

Posted Oct 7, 2019
  11. I personally disagree with any Murder Mystery type gamemode coming to Mineplex. I can think of multiple servers that already have this type of gamemode, and I have to agree with others when they have said it's been overdone. This type of game has been out for quite some time now, that any server with it already has its dedicated communities. I doubt anyone would switch from the way other servers have done it to come to Mineplex. I've said this before, and I'll say it again; Mineplex needs an original idea and game. Attempting to create games that have already been done before doesn't seem to be the best idea, and I don't think it would do well. While it's an interesting concept, I don't see this coming to Mineplex, nor would I really want it to, anytime soon. Apologies, but it's a -1 from me.

Posted Oct 7, 2019
    Vocaloiid likes this.
  12. I'm pretty sure Minecraft wasn't even born yet when this so-called "Murder Mystery" game was made back then like a child's game mainly. Although if you guys don't want to "steal" it, just make some changes to the game, although other better servers with this game, so theres no point.

Posted Oct 7, 2019
  13. Hey there,

I am going to have to give this a -1 just because yes as almost everyone else has said this would be a risky and unoriginal idea, I want to point out that giving the murderer a ranged attack that changes it's texture - kind of - is exactly what a different server has done and is one of the reasons for this being considered copying. I just think that Mineplex should remain. As original as possible. Again a -1 from me.

Posted Oct 8, 2019 at 1:19 AM