• 961 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9399 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Moving the US server to New York.

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Killer, Jul 19, 2019.

1. A lot of people would not care about this move but as a Podcrash Competitive League player i see this as a good idea.

For people new to the Podcrash Competitive League it is a league which has been run for several years although under different names.
    It has players from both regions making some games have players from different regions play on each others server.
    Due to a majority of American players living east of the US server (hosted in chicago) they will have good ping on the us server and better ping on the eu server than the eus have on us https://imgur.com/a/AMkBxCB here is why. I see US players with 70 ping on eu while most eu players have 100+ ping or even 150.
    Here i use competitive play and as an example but EU players play in the daily mineplex pubs everyday affecting them aswell.

Please let me know what u think about this

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  2. Moving the us server would harm the server seeing as your moving it pretty far from the other side of the usa, though if mineplex moved the server to florida or new york, even though it would make more lag on the other side of the states its most likely it wouldn't affect me seeing as my location is in the middle states of the usa. Though I think if their gonna move the server anywhere it should be mid usa so it pretty much evens stuff out.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  3. It's my understanding our network's servers are positioned in the middle of the US in an effort to provide the best connection to as many people as possible. Moving the network to somewhere in the far east could severely harm connections of western players, so I can't say this idea is one that I completely approve of.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
    Danese, SpikeCreates, Slipest and 3 others like this.
  4. Chicago isn’t that far from New York tbh. Like a 20hr drive, but even still it’s on the east side of the US already

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  5. Herro!

I do not see the importance of doing this, as while yes it would help some players get better ping, it would make us on the west coast get even worse ping. I get a minimum of 50 ping in games, usually I'm closer to 70-80 ping. Moving the server to New York would just make this an even worse case for me. The server is currently closer to the middle of the US for a reason, and I really don't think that it should be moved elsewhere. While it may positively impact some, it would have a negative affect on others, making it seem like a bad idea in my opinion. I think the bigger issue that you're hinting at is the location of the EU server, so maybe moving that would be a better move than leaving half of the US server with the ping that you were saying affects others. Moving the server would only fix the problem for some, but then pass the problem on to other people.

Due to those reasons I'm going to have to say I strongly disagree with this action, and I give this a -1.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  6. Do you have proof to back this up?

Anyways, from what I understand, you want to move the server host from Chicago to New York to better suit players who play in your competitive league?

Sorry but I don’t think that is nearly a good enough reason to move it. From what I understand, the server host is located in Chicago so that there is a relatively balance connection around the US and it has always been in Chicago.

So, I’m sorry, but I would not feel comfortable moving the server host to New York so that you can play with your friends in a competitive league at the expense of those who live in the west coast.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
    Vocaloiid and n8wes like this.
  7. as a person close to Chicago I have to disagree cause of bias.
    If I weren't bias, i'd say they should move it to the largest state in population so it were to favor the most players.
    But I do think that Chicago is a peculiar place to put a server.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  8. Yeah, maybe a lot of players might live on the east side, but having it in the middle appeals to all players. It's much better to appeal to everyone than a specific group. This way, everyone can get equal ping and everyone stays happy. If the server's are moved, then the balance is effected and the people farthest away will become unhappy and possibly not play anymore. So, no, I don't agree with this.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  9. That wouldn't necessarily help, the most logical approach would be moving the host to the state in which most of the US Minecraft players are located which may not be necessarily the largest state in population, that's like saying if they made an Asia server that they should have the host in China, but seeing as China has a mostly poor population I doubt that many people in china play minecraft, let alone Mineplex. Another thing is moving it to this one state could throw the whole even system they have going on as of current. So they should just leave it be as it's fine as is.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
    Task likes this.
  10. It's not a totally unreasonable assumption actually, an approximate majority of the US population lives east of Chicago.

Not actually what OP said. OP believes that moving the server host to the East Coast would make it better for EU players. OP is probably right on that count. Issue is that West Coast players wouldn't be particularly happy, and the real question is how badly it would affect people in California. My guess is that they'd sit at around 100 ms at minimum, which wouldn't be ideal. Unfortunately, the US is just kinda big.

What do you do if that state happens to be (for the sake of exaggeration to prove a point) Hawaii? Sure, Hawaiians are gonna be happy because they get good connection for once, but literally anyone else is going to have a crappy experience. It would be better to set it up where it can reasonably server the most people, and that's why Chicago, a dense population center somewhat in the middle of North America with a skew toward the North while not being in the middle of absolutely nowhere, is a reasonable choice.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  11. Gotta account for us Southern players too. Islanders would be hit pretty bad too

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  12. Chicago is actually slightly further north than New York City, but they're about one degree of latitude apart, so it would really be a matter of East-West

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  13. A more ideal spot would probably be somewhere in Kansas or Nebraska
    --- Post updated ---
    Well probably not for EU. what is the population of players from the EU anyway?

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  14. plz no my ping is bad enough

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  15. Coming from Australia, it would be best to keep it at where it is, only because the majority of players do come from the U.S and that our connection is okay. It really wouldn’t be beneficial to move it as well, as it would probably cost Mineplex to lose players. Keeping it in the middle is fine and fair.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  16. The most, most ideal solution would be to have proxy and minigame servers around the US and connect users by location but the logistics of it would be a nightmare (not to mention prices), not to mention the fact that Mineplex's player count isn't enough to justify such an approach.

Just keep it in the middle, honestly.

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  17. I don't know anything about servers or anything like that but I just wanted to chip in and say that I live in Australia and I still have decent connection even though the position of the servers is extremely far away. So people saying that 'the west coast's connection will be severely harmed' doesn't make much sense to me. Anyway, as other people have said the Mineplex servers are positioned in the middle of the US to try and cater to as many locations as possible. I'm going to give this a -1

Posted Jul 19, 2019
    Hulk_ likes this.
  18. If anything it should be moved to Memphis, TN which is the population middle of the united states. Also this would just improve you as a competitive league and like everyone else said what about the west coast

Posted Jul 19, 2019
  19. The states with the largest population are California and Texas which are closer to Chicago than New York.

Posted Jul 20, 2019
  20. I don't think i would like to see this change because i live in Las Vegas and already see some connectivity issues at times. Further, moving this would only cause more problems and would most likely not benefit many people.

Posted Jul 20, 2019