• 372 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8810 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex's State - What can be done?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Lchogies, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:44 PM.

1. Dear Mineplex Staff,

At current, it is evident that the Mineplex server is in a post-maturity state of decline. There are several reasons for such, which I will outline in further detail below. Before I do, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Lchogies, and I first started playing Mineplex in 2013. I saw the server grow, and then decline to what it is now. I have been a trainee twice since 2013, enjoying my time as part of the staff team both times. However, it is clear that the server has changed. Now as a senior student, I see that Mineplex is not in a good way. What is Mineplex doing wrong you may ask? Well, here me out.

Firstly, there is a lack of innovative games on the server, that new players will become hooked too. Mineplex’s rival -snip- has gone about increasing their player base effectively, offering lag-free gameplay for a large quantity of games. Moreover, their heavily refined anti-cheat system reduces exploitation to a vast extent. Innovative games with fun gameplay such as bed wars and blitz survival games have taken a massive chunk out of Mineplex’s market share. The most popular game on -snip-, Skyblock, was not an original idea, and with some tweaking to improve gameplay, could take off if implemented effectively on Mineplex. Lastly, why don’t you try to get some insights into the -snip- staff team? Maybe you could try to poach ex-staff, or offer a big salary to their current leader. If Mineplex creates just one fun game that the community enjoy, I have no doubt your popularity will once again sore astronomically.

Secondly, Mineplex’s ranks/donations no longer hold the same value as they once did. The introduction of the EULA in 2014 and the removal of rank being required to achieve trainee in 2017 are two key reasons for this. Moreover, the low prices being charge create little to no sense of value/want within the mind of a potential customer. I remember playing in 2014, how badly I wanted ultra, and the things I did to get my parents to buy me it. But now however, this internal customer drive has almost vanished, due to the diminished importance of ranks in regards to gameplay and the achievement of staff. Personally, I believe increasing the prices of the ranks will increase sales. This may sound counter-intuitive, however the Veblen effect is sure to result in higher revenue, as well as potentially higher sales. Moreover, if changing prices doesn’t work, they can always be reduced with ease once again. Also, if Mineplex is cash strapped, why don’t you consider equity finance? You could use crowdfunding to help crow, and give investors a return based off of success.

Thirdly, I have seen little to no marketing material for Mineplex over the past three years on any median at all. As a result, few new players come to the server, many gravitating to -snip- instead, due to greater levels of marketing and YouTuber endorsements. If Mineplex wants to increase their Minecraft Java server market share, it would be advisable to consider endorsing YouTubers to play on the server (as done previously with Jordan Maron and Parker Coppins). If you pay a YouTuber to play ‘The Bridges’ for example, a large number of individuals will see this game on said YouTubers channel, and as a result, will gravitate to the Mineplex server. Also, the Facebook post/page boosting system is a very easy way to generate new/renew existing customers interest. The Mineplex page has a following of 300,000 on Facebook, which, if utilised to its fullest extent, could bring back what Mineplex once had.

I hope my analysis can be put to good use. If I had more specific figures related to player count, rank sales, application numbers etc I would be able to provide greater analysis, however I obviously do not possess these figures at current. I would appreciate a response from you, as I did spend a vast amount of time researching this topic, in order to best assist Mineplex overall. Please don't hesitate to respond to me and let me know how things are progressing, I am happy to help out more if need be. Cheers.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 6:44 PM,
    Last edited Oct 9, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    FriendlyShep and greg like this.
  2. Mineplex certainly doesn't have the players it used to have but I'd say that's because most of the old players have grown up/ stopped playing Minecraft. However, there are new players every day and if Mineplex continues to add new/update the games, it can certainly be as popular as it once was.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 7:09 PM
  3. Minecraft surged this summer and mineplex gained far fewer players than other servers due to poor marketing, lack of updates etc. The time to act was in May/June not now.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    EtherealPlane and matrixyst like this.
  4. Like I said, if they continued to add new games, they could be as popular as they once was.
    --- Post updated ---
    Key word is "could" if they tried hard enough.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 7:15 PM
  5. Pretty sure people growing up doesn't cause mineplex to lose tens of thousands of players. That's certainly not the only reason.

One of the things that is drawing people away is the other server's skyblock which increased their player count by 50k+ and that was along with minecraft becoming popular again too. If you notice when skyblock is down on that server mineplex can get up to 5k players temporarily so you can see that's a big reason people play there and not mineplex. Maybe if mineplex can make some kind of new game that's really good they can attract players but it's unlikely to happen. I'm unfamiliar with other reasons because I quit minecraft before mineplex died.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 7:34 PM
  6. to be honest when i talk to other people there is an understandable assumption that mineplex has weak staff and a bad anti-cheat. you start by improving those two factors, but new gamemodes that aren't a direct copy of every other server is also crucial for a comeback.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    NothinButNetYT and FriendlyShep like this.
  7. Mineplex used to have a poor anti cheat, but the introduction of GWEN was a good step to rival watchdog. Watchdog is probably a bit more developed, but GWEN isn't far off. As for staff, I think the issue is insufficient staff, and possibly immature staff. The 'other' server have a requirement of 16 for staff, which is probably a good place to start. If Mineplex can do something like that, and maybe offer greater training, I have no doubt they'll be able to increase their player base.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 7:50 PM
  8. i think one other major clinically stupid issue is that members have legitimately no way of reporting hackers, which is just the most brain dead concept. i'd seriously like to meet the person who came up with that one and ask them why. /report should throw the gwen system on the player specifically, similar to how watchdog does it and if you're not being reported you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    EtherealPlane likes this.
  9. There is a lack of variety from minigames.... other servers have much more options to play, I think Mineplex should bring old minigames back.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM
  10. staffrequest, recording and reporting on forums + /report doesn't direct Gwen to people because Gwen is always watching everyone all the time. The real problem is that we don't have an effective way to combat alts and for some reason Mojang/microsoft just doesn't care enough to crack down on client makers and alt generators. It also doesn't help that we don't have an anti cheat developer, and it seems like Mineplex wants to wait for people to come to them, rather than going to pursue one.

As for the OP, I agree mostly with the marketing point. At the height of it's popularity, Mineplex had an objectively terrible anti-cheat and was rather laggy. Yet people still played, and that's simply due to the youtube coverage.
    Another thing that should be mentioned, is that while new games and marketing brings people to the server, maintaining those games and keeping them fun is what makes players stay. Regardless of dev power and what they can practically do, at the end of the day Mineplex has a long history of neglecting their games and letting those communities die off. 1 or 2 total game updates a year just doesn't cut it.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM,
    Last edited Oct 9, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    Thenorn, Xukuri and xLeopard like this.
  11. I appreciate your time and effort to create this post, and I agree with your suggestions with the exception of a few minor details.

Regarding your first point, I agree with releasing a fun, fresh new game to hook many players onto the server. It seems that innovative games receive a lot of popularity, especially coupled with the recent surge of Minecraft. However, we have limited resources at the moment and until we can find high-quality developers, it may not be the easiest task to come up with a groundbreaking minigame to drastically boost Mineplex's popularity. Also, I do not think gaining insight from another server's ideas would be beneficial nor practical. The information gained from this would not be very useful for developers as it wouldn't be a good move to copy. Ex-staff would also not be allowed to reveal anything that is still in development as anyone with knowledge on what they are working on would be kept from doing so under a non-disclosure agreement. I think the best way to go is to come up with something original.

You mentioned that ranks did not hold the same value as they did previously, due to the enforcement of the EULA, the removal of the rank requirement when applying for staff, and the very cheap prices. While we can't do anything about the EULA, I'm not sure if removing the rank requirement for applying for staff made ranks feel less premium. I personally feel reverting that change would only reduce the number of quality applicants, but it is still noteworthy enough to consider. Besides that, I agree with raising rank prices. As you stated, potential customers would not be interested in a rank that currently costs $1.50 as it gives off the impression that it isn't a premium product.

Lastly, I would love to see more marketing and partnerships done to attract more players to Mineplex. It would be a good investment to pay well-known YouTubers to feature content recorded on the server, as that has seemed to work several years ago. I know many people in the community who discovered Mineplex through popular content creators, but the only downside is probably the heavy cost. When it comes to utilizing our social media platforms, BlueBeetleHD claimed to have future plans for the YouTube channel in an admin Q&A some time ago. I'm not too sure if using Facebook would be a good idea as the age range of players doesn't seem to use the platform as often as YouTube.

Thank you for the in-depth post, I would like to see the main points you brought up to be heavily considered.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 8:43 PM,
    Last edited Oct 9, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    Xukuri, Jocoe, Goudge ✦ and 2 others like this.
  12. Firstly cheers for the response, I appreciate all feedback.

I understand that Mineplex may not currently have high resource levels, but with running any business there comes risk. If Mineplex want to keep growing, I do believe they will have to take on an element of risk, whether that be in relation to significant changes or looking at debt financing, in order to grow. Obviously, it would be foolish for Mineplex to borrow vast sums of money, but I do think utilising some form of external finance would allow them to grow, and, if utilised effectively, Mineplex will reap the rewards.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Xukuri and AceSJus like this.
  13. There are multiple ways to report a player. The first way would be to report a player on the forums, I have never used this as there are more efficient ways which I will get to. The second way is for the players who have Hero+, which all you have to do is /report (player) [reason]. This is effective but not as effective as the third way.
    The last and third way to report a player is to join the community "Staff Request". This will help you to have direct contact with staff members that are online. I personally use this way and /report as both are useful.

I did not mention directly contacting a staff member through /a or /msg as sometimes there are no staff in the lobby / game and also you might not know what staff member is online to /msg them.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this question feel free to PM me and I will try to get back to you ASAP.
    --- Post updated ---
    Hey,

I personally do agree with this but I do have some problems with it too. This post is just my personal thoughts and ideas and not trying to be negative in any way.

The first idea you stated was to have a new game or a game that Mineplex tweaks upon. I do agree with this idea. Some players may find it boring that Mineplex hasn't added any new games in a while besides the exception of Area 51 Raid which was only here for a few weeks. I feel like Mineplex should invest their time in finding Developers, which would help with adding new games to the Mineplex Network.

The second idea you stated was that a requirement to be a trainee would to have a donator rank, which I think would reduce quality applicants as @AceSJus has stated. I will touch on this a bit more later. You also stated that ranks don't have the same "quality" as it did have. I partially agree with this but also don't. My reasoning to not liking this is that the community, me included, would be disappointing to have to be spending more on ranks then when they were cheap. Not to mention one of the reasons that I got ULTRA then HERO was because it was cheap. I do not have much extra money to spend; I am no way, shape, or form rich. Now the reason why I partially agree with it is because it would make people think that is more valuable then it is; which would lead to more sales. Now back to the requirement of having a rank to apply for Trainee. It is my dream to be a Trainee and I will not give up easily to get it. But lets say that Ultra was back up to $10 which was its original price; then Mineplex would basically force me to pay $10 to have one of the requirements filled out to be a Trainee. I will also bring out a server that has it's lowest price at $60 and it's top price as $240; I will not say the name as I don't want to promote the server and have a moderator edit it out. But what I noticed when I got on the server, that almost no one has a rank, here and there there will be one person with a rank but not that much. If Mineplex would have it's top rank back to $120 then that would make sales drop as not many people would pay that much money on one server even though it means the world to them.

Lastly I have to agree with marketing. This would help players recognize Mineplex and all that it offers. It would help players who watch this certain Content Creator like it's game that it's playing like SSM or Bridges. If Mineplex doesn't have money to spend on it then maybe they should try to influence players to start recording on it if they weren't already.

Anyways that's what I got to say on it, thanks for all your time working on this. I would like to hear more from you. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this comment then feel free to PM me and I will try to get back to you ASAP.

Posted Oct 9, 2019 at 10:54 PM
  14. When viewed from a broader perspective, there's certainly a lot of things we can talk about when it comes to improving Mineplex on all fronts. Right now we can all agree that the Java playerbase is the main concern, considering that Bedrock provides the financial stability needed to run the hosting, but there are also issues regarding the development of new features on the network, as well as something that I will be focusing on the most, the relationship between the Leadership Team and the community. The third point about promoting the server via Youtube, Twitch etc. is completely valid and has already been discussed on this thread so I don't really have anything to add.

I'd like to start by saying that there are people on Mineplex who have done more than they were ever asked to do. These range from helpful and innovative members of Community Management to some of the "original" staff members who've gone above and beyond in their areas, like Wanderer or FireStar. Even the LT team, often criticised throughout the years for certain decisions, deserves more praise because of all the backend work they do for Mineplex.

However, this is when a certain amount of distrust can happen. How do we know for sure that they are just doing more work in the background, and not just earning money from it while not actually putting enough work into something that many people call their second home?

For that reason, in order to prevent that from happening and to establish a connection between the top of the staff team hierarchy and the community, I believe that a lot more direct communication should occur. There are many knowledgeable people on Mineplex who can help them see certain matters from a different perspective, but those who are only semi-knowledgeable or don't have a clue about how a day in the life of a LT member looks like can still contribute with their ideas and desires that should always be one of the factors that guide Mineplex towards better solutions. If a Leader, Developer or anyone who has a word in the key decisions spent just an hour or two on a weekly basis browsing through the forums and responding to threads like this one, as well as spend a few minutes in-game just to bond with the community, it would mean that any praise or criticism no longer goes through one or several middle men until it's heard. And no, internal jokes on the Discord server with a select few people who are active there do not count as involvement with the community.

On the other hand, we should be more organized as a community in general. If we want to see certain changes, a specific game added on Mineplex, or participate in decisions like determining shop items or prices, being vocal about it is the only way to achieve some sort of impact, and I believe this thread is a good example. Unfortunately, such threads sometimes die out because of a general lack of replies, contrary to threads like off topic discussions or giveaways. It's a topic that has seen some discussion recently.

In conclusion, your last paragraph describes the situation quite accurately. Some individuals might want to contribute with major positive changes, but they are pretty much limited to small changes like promoting positivity and enthusiasm as well as activity in certain areas of the forums, or applying for a staff position if they have the time and dedication. Overall, it's something to work on, and I wish I could be positive about it, but it all depends on how much feedback the LT is willing to receive and how they react to it.

Posted Oct 10, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    Xukuri and Lchogies like this.
  15. NDAs have been broken a lot however

Posted Oct 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    Lchogies likes this.
  16. I do really miss the popular days of mineplex, like 2014 and 2015! The reason I'd joined was because of DanTDM making videos on the server, as well as staying because of Parkergame's videos. Back then, there was more of a community, and it was a really fun time!
    What makes a server fun in my opinion is community. There used to be people of all ages, being dumb and goofing around, throwing tnt at eachother, showing people secrets and easter eggs in the map, throwing people around with stackers, talking about things. Sometimes you'd encounter youtubers or twitch streamers or something. I think an important thing to popularize mineplex again is to just get more youtubers to play on there. The games are all great in my opinion, it's just what makes it fun is having a lot of people. That's why castle siege was awesome; 100 players in a game!! They do already have a huge variety of games, it's just sad that a lot of people just don't really want to play those, and do something like skywars instead.
    also it's kind of annoying that a lot of people don't play games like they're supposed to be played (*cough* champions.) they don't even care about winning, or capturing the thingies, they're just pvping and trying to get as many kills as possible. Champions, and other games used to be so much fun, not just full of good people, but people of all different skill levels and new players as well

Posted Oct 10, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    Jocoe and Thenorn like this.

17. That's very individual. Some 16 years old's are very mature and can be considered as an adult, because of their maturity. However, some 16 years old might not be that mature at all. I think increasing the age requirement for the staff team wouldn't help out to get a more professional staff. Players below 16 years old can also do a fabulous job a staff member as well. There's been and are staff members who are 13 years old, and who are doing a fantastic job the whole time they've been staff.

Therefore I think that increasing the age requirement wouldn't affect the maturity of the staff team. The requirements for staff now are good as they are in my opinion. If it turns out that many staff members are immature, the requirements could be even higher.

The recruiters are already doing a great job finding mature and professional staff members.

An age requirement at 14 years old should be enough, and applicants below this age are expected to do very well in the whole process for becoming a trainee.
    --- Post updated ---

I agree with most of your points. Advertising and implementing new games to get new players is something that Mineplex needs to focus on. I assume that they are already doing that, so we'll see what happens.

Nice thread tho, I think that this thread would be very helpful for Mineplex! :)

Posted Oct 10, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    Jocoe likes this.
  18. This.

Posted Oct 10, 2019 at 1:07 PM
  19. I agree with the lot of the points here.

As an experienced player as well I will say I think the main reason Mineplex is dying is because multiplayer itself is dying. Very few servers seem to be doing well these days and -snip- is one of them...

Posted Oct 10, 2019 at 1:20 PM
  20. I would like to bring up another thing I forgot to mention. Feedback and surveys.

At the moment, we hardly ever see the Leader/Admins/LT/Owners asking for feedback, in any way at all. This is an area of untapped potential, which could vastly improve what actually goes on in regards to game development, server structure, ranks etc. Websites like google forms and survey monkey are free, and are a great way of receiving feedback. Their utilisation for feedback would be vastly beneficial, allowing players to contribute their own ideas directly to high level staff. What's more, if you place an inventive upon doing the survey (eg a free mythical chest), the quality of responses would likely soar.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 10, 2019 at 10:51 PM
    Xukuri likes this.