• 2086 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 14298 Players Online
  • 12212 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Mineplex Welcome Messages?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Sammy_Kayy, May 26, 2020.

1. So recently a server me and my best friend used to play on all the time recently shut down due to poor funds. I was only able to give him the Mineplex IP and how to play before our server was shut down, and the community chat site was aswell so we’re unable to chat about arrangements and when we’re free to play. Recently he’s been playing a lot, but we are NEVER on at the same time. He was on 4 hours ago and I left about 30 minutes before he joined, and I’m really upset. I want to see him again. I then thought of an idea, (I’m not sure if we can do it or not xd) what if when we joined we could have “Welcome Messages” in the chat? Like type in a command so when that person is online they receive a chat notification! I could say, “Hey! This is Kobayashu.” Then some info about life and time arrangements. That way we can communicate without both being online! I’ll just further explain it just in case

1. Type in the command, who to send it to, and then the message
    2. You can be offline, and when that specific person comes online it’s sent to them!

just an suggestion, I’m not sure if others thought of this or if it’s a bad idea. I didn’t mean to make this for my personal reasons, I talked to my friends about it and they said they had been there.

Posted May 26, 2020
    Danese and anniedotexe like this.
  2. Hey there! If you have an idea that would like to be implemented, I recommend creating a thread about it in the General Idea Discussion section. The General Idea Discussion section can be found here.

Hopefully that helped! -Dan

Posted May 26, 2020
    0775 and Brayyyden like this.
  3. Hey!

As @DanTrains222 said, next time put these ideas in the general ideas section. There they will get more traction there! I'm sure a moderator will move this, so I'll give my opinions on this.

First off, I think having a mailbox on Mineplex is not a bad idea. It seems pretty easy to implement and could be useful for people who don't use discord to chat. I personally don't think I would use this, although I could definitely see other people using it. Overall, I would not mind seeing this implemented and it doesn't seem that hard to implement.

+1

Posted May 26, 2020
  4. I’m in favor of this idea under the conditions that this feature is only available between friends and that there is some cooldown between each mail message. I think many players have experienced this same issue and would like a way to reach out to players that are inactive in case they return someday, and I think this is a great solution for those that don’t have other means of communicating with one another (Discord, forums). However, I suggested the conditions above because with public access, this feature enables bots to mail essentially anyone that has ever joined the server with server IP’s, advertisements, or worse. This poses a huge risk for another private-messaging bot advertisement scandal without proper protection. Integrating a friends-only regulation would prevent most unwanted mail. A cooldown feature is also necessary to ensure players aren’t overwhelmed by spam mail (pun intended).
    Another concern is the challenge of moderation. Just like PM’s, Moderators would likely not be able to monitor mail, and mail is much more permanent than PM so it’s important to ensure proper player protection and rule enforcement with a feature like this.
    On the plus side, this feature would likely not be very difficult to implement. Bukkit Essentials offers a prebuilt mail system as a standard feature, so I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to configure a mail feature to Mineplex’s liking. However, keep in mind that because mail is a standard feature, most servers have to consciously disable it. I don’t see this feature enabled all too often on other servers, and there are reasons for disabling it atop those listed above.

So, overall, I think it’s unlikely that production will approve this because of the challenges it poses, but it would be a nice feature with the appropriate regulations. You have my support.

Posted May 27, 2020,
    Last edited May 27, 2020
  5. Hey!
    So I'm rather confused about this idea. First, is he on your friends list? or are you suggesting being able to send a welcome message to any player? I'm assuming you're on his friends list however because you can see when he had last logged in and in that case you can have it set to recieve a notification in your chat when that person logs on when you're online as well. However, I think your concept is that you can send a message while they are offline so you can find out his details? I just would like a little more elaboration if you can, thanks!

Posted May 27, 2020
    ItsFree likes this.
  6. Yo!

I don't really see a point of this added. If you guys were that close of friends, then I'm sure you would have them added on discord or maybe their phone number. But I assume how this works is it's basically like a private messaging system but it takes longer to get responses (that's what I'm seeing). It shouldn't take more than 2 days to "schedule" with a friend when to get on. Like I said, you guys should have discord or some sort of texting application that you can easily talk to through there. Doing it like the way you said would just take too long to communicate with the player. Besides that, there will need to be some changes to this addition. I think you should only be allowed to send 3 messages a day which will prevent spam messages when you log on and a player can only get 3 messages a day. This will prevent the player from getting spammed from someone's alt account(s) and their main. Also, there should be a command that allows you to check your new messages and they should expire (go away) in 24 hours. So if you forget what the message was, you can still see it!

Overall, I don't mind if this gets added but I don't see a reason why it should. Thanks for the idea though!

Posted May 27, 2020
    Sammy_Kayy likes this.
  7. Okay, very sorry but I can’t to figure out this reply and thread system so I hope works. Someone gave better title, which is “Mailbox” . Yes, I agree it could come dangerous to bots and spam, so we should able to send max of 3 messages a day. I do not know if Mods or other ranks should able to read these before sending, because might have some private information. (I do not think it should be private information for obvious reasons) I do not use discord, and the only available resort was Mineplex which I had shown before our server was shut down along with the community site. So once again, (input command) then you write who it is to then message. I believe that when they go back online one day the chat shows the mailbox messages, and they can send one back if they’d like or just read it. We always get on at different times because of time difference, he lives in Portugal so when I get on at 3 pm or 4 it's 12 PM or 1 for him. The receiver can maybe perhaps block the sender if it is unpleasant person or junk. I would not mind if this was not added, it was just tiny suggestion for those in need. If you have question please ask I will not hesitate to answer it. I am sorry that we could not get any further contact then Minecraft but I am not big fan on social media and other stuffs.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 28, 2020
    zlxr (Suspici0us) and ItsFree like this.
  8. It's a pity that this feature hasn't been added in the past, because it really would be a nice way to communicate for those who are less familiar with other platforms where this kind of communication is possible. I'm mainly referring to the younger portion of the playerbase and the more casual players. It's true that if you're friends with somebody, you shouldn't really have to wait more than a few days to meet them ingame and be able to discuss chatting over the forums, e-mail or discord, but there are also situations where certain people log on very occasionally and it's impossible to ask them for their contact info. For example, someone you used to play with back in 2015 but who only logs on every few weeks nowadays. I have had numerous cases like this and that's why it would be very convenient to be able to relay a message to them while they are offline.

All things considered, what are the downsides to this idea really?

Posted May 28, 2020
  9. I think this would work well as a sort of "Voice mail" function, where messages sent to friends when they're offline would be sent to a GUI, and when they login they'd see a message similar to the new friend request thing, saying that they have x amount of voicemails.

Posted May 28, 2020
    Sammy_Kayy likes this.
  10. yeah its a good idea think that it will work and i can't see any downsides at all

Posted May 28, 2020
    Sammy_Kayy likes this.
  11. Thanks for all guy's attention and support! It means lots, and I understand if this Mailbox feature is not added. It's a simple thing that can be easily added but there could be a few downsides if you think about it. I'm not going to name any because there's easy solutions though, such as being able to block or report a player/bot from any more junk or bullying. That's really all though, thanks again for understanding :)

i am also sorry x2 that the only contact we have available is Mineplex, if this feature is added though we can resolve that problem by getting emails or discord or SOmEtHiNg though mailbox.

But yeah! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ -Kobayashuuuu

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 28, 2020
  12. im looking through this now and just wanna say sorry for how stupid i was

so first off in one of my replies i pretended i didnt speak english well because i was embarrassed and saw people with actual ranks and stuff so i just tried to make an excuse and failed

second, i literally had no idea how the forums worked so sorry for not submitting the suggestion to the "general ideas", i was sort of new to the mineplex community

knowing that i was clueless on how mineplex worked, i didnt even check the forums to see if the idea was submitted or not. So for me taking time out of someone's day just so they can tell me that the idea was denied already, SORRY-

But thankfully, we met up again! we exchanged our discords and didnt lose contact. Then I didnt really think about the cons of junk mail, bots, etc, so apologies for that.

also @ItsFree , I hadn't installed discord and we didnt really think about our main server shutting down at all so there was not point in exchanging numbers, emails, etc. So sorry again for being a nuisance, i guess-

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 22, 2020
  13. We can no longer deny ideas due to them violating the EULA.

Posted Nov 22, 2020
    andr3w and anna ♪ like this.
  14. Interesting idea overall. I definitely agree this could be a good idea, but only if it were between friends and there’s a cool down for the amount of messages one can send in a certain time period. This would prevent spam. Other than that, though, I think this would be really useful. At times I make friends and I don’t see them online for quite some time, so leaving a message for them to log on to would be really useful to have. +1 overall, as long as it’s for friends only I don’t have an issue with this!

Posted Nov 22, 2020
  15. Hey, this is a really interesting idea although the only issue I have is that I can't see people being happy with their chat being flooded upon login. I wouldn't mind either way though, a way to mail people can be quite handy if they logged off before you got the chance to speak to them. Thanks for the idea :)

Posted Nov 23, 2020
    HCY likes this.
  16. I think /mail is the thing you want to be added . It already exists, they would just have to implement it.

nvm, i just read it violates EULA, my bad

Posted Nov 23, 2020,
    Last edited Nov 23, 2020
  17. it should work -- just assuming it has the same features as /msg that prevent spam/randoms from messaging you.

Posted Nov 23, 2020
  18. +1 This would be very useful as many of my friends that are on my friends list rarely come online anymore, and without their discord contact, it would be hard to reach out to them.

Posted Nov 25, 2020
  19. This could be an interesting idea. I guess this would be useful to prevent chat flooding, especially how you have to scroll up to see the previous messages from your friends or in your party chat.

However, I was also concerned about if that slightly violates the EULA. The slight problem is that toggling the immortal join notification violates the EULA if this is implemented (correct me if I made some mistakes on my understanding of EULA).

Other than that, I would give you +0.75.

Posted Nov 29, 2020