• 283 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6639 Players Online
  • 6356 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex Update Ideas - Mineplex Revival

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by StyxKiller03, Oct 10, 2021.

1. When it comes to bedrock staff, it is frustrating how big of a gap in the knowledge they have compared to Java staff and it's something I noticed when I was staff. Obviously, they're two different team's but many things are catered towards Java and it's obvious within StM as most of them are main Java. I notice some are really good for bedrock, and I know some people will comment that "level doesn't mean they don't play" but it doesn't change the fact you can tell they value one platform far more over than the other. Not to say that all of them are like this, I know some prefer creative housing and survival, but to be that low of a level on bedrock is still notable.

Bedrock hardly gets special or equal treatment. Anyone who denies that is either not a sole bedrock staff member or a bedrock community member. GWEN on Java cannot even be compared to GWEN on Bedrock considering GWEN does absolutely nothing productive on Bedrock. It's impossible to moderate on bedrock due to the lack of in-game report systems and cross-platform difficulties when it comes to reporting by other means. Considering the age range is lower, expecting them to use discord/forums effectively is a bit unreasonable, but that's a confirmed implement- who knows when it'll ever get implemented though.

Observations work in a way that doesn't effectively work on bedrock, I can't detail that since I don't plan on being NWB, but something of that sort needs to be looked into better because people can come across amazingly in apps and interviews, but be terrible in practice.

Honestly, there needs to be someone training them who is wholeheartedly dedicated to bedrock. Java-bedrock cross mentoring is good in theory to bridge the staff gaps but most StM is far more invested in Java. It's natural to have a preferred platform but there's clearly more time spent on one than the other. I found playing with my mentor and other java staff crucial for how I performed on the team, it boosted my motivation to learn and those around me helped me out so that I became more aware of what was going on and how to handle situations. Observing others truly made it better: bedrock staff members don't get this experience to the same degree at all, not just because there's fewer of them, but because not all the mentors are as equally invested as they are. They're good mentors, but to say how the system is now is perfect for bedrock staff would be a lie. Java staff benefit far more than the others and bedrock staff simply don't get that experience and I think that it does affect how they learn.

I did talk to some ex bedrock staff about this way back when we were staff together and I remember there being some form of petition or whatnot to have a bedrock dedicated mentor, something which I agree with but it seems to be denied a lot, as to why, I'd love to hear an StM members response to this. If not a bedrock dedicated mentor, I'd hope to see at least one mentor or MA who is a bedrock main.

Posted Oct 12, 2021
  2. There is more lenience toward Bedrock applicants which is something we want to change, it's just hard to considering the lack of resources and experience Bedrock community players get unless they are a very strongly involved with the community, which shouldn't be the case. Fault can be placed in many places for this but I think it's better to just suggest ideas instead.

For example, as far as I remember there is only one tip message encouraging to apply for staff but shows no description of what a staff member even is (and so many Bedrock applicants therefore apply with no knowledge whatsoever of what a Trainee is). There should be more emphasis placed on Bedrock recruitment not only on the forums/Discord but also in-game. A more detailed tip message and additional resources are needed.

On Java, players easily come across staff not only because there is more of them but because it's so easy to recognise or interact with one. With the single press of tab you can instantly see staff members in your lobby, and that usually leads to unknowledgeable players enquiring about it (it's how I found out about the staff team, anyway). Plus, /report exists and better descriptions are placed everywhere regarding the staff team (eg. you can hover over ranks in chat and it explains what they are, chat is more chatty in general so staff are seen more often as they engage in this and get other players involved...). On Bedrock, these things simply don't exist or they aren't popular. There is way less staff, and the team on there doesn't get attention, the BR player base is also waaay younger and there's just no interaction between staff and community. At least not as much as there is on Java. Events don't exist on BR, for example, which on Java is a way to bring people closer together, get them potentially interested in staff or involving themselves more with the community in general, etc. Can't blame ES/EA much on that one though, as there's no Event system on Bedrock.

For all of those reasons above, you can see that players applying for staff on Bedrock are probably going to be much less knowledgable of everything than your average Java player applying for staff on Java would be. We can't force them to be better when applying due to the massive differences between the servers in terms of helping do that. So what we can do is train them better when they get staff - and this is where StM comes in.

Despite Bedrock players being more tolerant of when staff make errors as half of them don't exactly know what's going on in the first place or simply don't expect anything crazy, there still needs to be a lot more emphasis placed on the Bedrock staff team within StM, while still acknowledging the fact that they're going to be less experienced to begin with. There's a lot of information thrown at you while you are a Trainee and mentors should find better ways to go about educating their little mentees apart from QOTD/QOTW and the MoT/EoT. Also, a lot of the time, Moderators will become neglected when it comes to actually learning things after they successfully finish their Mod Test so mentors should still spend time on making sure they grow and become better and better and moderating in order to make both the staff member's and their mentor's lives easier in the case of uncertainties or mistakes. We shouldn't expect staff members to be perfect, of course, but helping them more than they currently do would be great.

Posted Oct 12, 2021,
    Last edited Oct 12, 2021
    CloudyDay1234, StyxKiller03 and Jylie like this.
  3. Yes. I would assume they track what they’ve already completed in a training but it wouldn’t seem like it (bedrock). They should have build team, qa/t, or stm walk new staff through all the block hunt maps.

A new staff was moderating a exploiter, but didn’t know if it was exploiting. What would the new staff do?

A. Ask for help (stm, mentor, build team, qa/t etc) and the exploiter probably left after you got a response.

B. Take screenshots/record the player then ask stm, mentor, build team, qa/t. Punish the player (assuming the hiding spot the player was in was exploiting) or don’t punish the player (assuming the player was in a legit hiding spot).

C. Opens a doc/or remembers that the spot is/is not an exploit, the player should/should not be punished.

D. Leave the game and let another staff look at it.

If I was a new staff, I would do B or C and maybe A if the exploiter doesn’t leave.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 12, 2021
  4. This seems like an applicant issue, I don't think forcefully accepting people who aren't fit-out for the position is ideal solely because our staff team is "too small". Additionally, you're unaware of how many applicants (new or old) we actually receive, and it's not anywhere close to what it used to be. To reiterate, our process of accepting trainees is fully dependent on how many applicants we get. If no one applied for trainee, we'd have no one to accept and that's not Recruitment's nor Mineplex's fault.

The "bad staff" is an opinion I don't agree with, because, to reiterate, there's always going to be bad apples. There are many staff members (current and resigned) that have put so much work and effort into this server making it a better place.

As for your suggestions for improving staff, that should be going to Staff Management. They train and manage staff members. Recruitment does not do that which is pretty self-explanatory. We look for potential in candidates and bring them onto the team. How they take that potential and perform is unpredictable and we are not responsible for it.

That's pretty much it from me for this thread, if you have any specific concerns regarding Recruitment that are concrete please bring them up to any members of the team (preferably through DM).

Posted Oct 12, 2021
    StyxKiller03 likes this.
  5. Already have and they’ve ignored me and or don’t care so I’m not going to bother presenting my ideas if that’s how I’m going to be treated.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 12, 2021
  6. Maybe because of the way you are presenting the idea? You are overly aggressive. You don't acknowledge the replies here at all, and keep going with the mindset that all staff are bad, lol. If they are ignoring you then go to someone else. Or suggest it to another staff member entirely that can bring it up with StM themselves. I can understand feeling like others don't care.

Posted Oct 13, 2021
    Look_Dan, Jylie and CatFan105 like this.
  7. Not a bad idea but I want to be the one that sends the message to stm that way I know it’s being delivered properly.
    No. I’m presenting it like any other player would. It’s clear that nothing is being done.
    Because they are, it’s just that you don’t see it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 13, 2021
  8. I don't see it? What internal moderation work do you see as a community member?

Posted Oct 13, 2021
  9. Currently I’m trying to get a player stat wiped from the bedrock bh lb. Getting rid of block hunt exploiters, where pretty much all bedrock staff fail to do. Reporting staff etc.
    Yes, you don’t. False banned on bedrock for things I didn’t even do. False banned for exploiting on block hunt and was literally in a legit spot. Why? Because no staff on bedrock knows what exploits are. Reported to their mentors but nothing has happened. Staff rushing reports etc.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 13, 2021
  10. yeah I also want a Bedrock hub update. I hope we get to make a new one soon.

Posted Oct 13, 2021
    ReJo, CatFan105 and StyxKiller03 like this.
  11. Wouldn't you be the one to know if we were because you are the builder lol, just wondering?

Posted Oct 13, 2021
    StyxKiller03 likes this.
  12. I agree in an ideal situation, there would have been a Bedrock-only mentor who had all the expertise. There were a few reasons mentoring on both platforms got integrated into one. The first reason really came down to finding someone fully qualified from the small pool of fully-Bedrock staff, it's a very small staff team and finding someone was really difficult but also with the Bedrock team being larger than a typical mentee group, it was tough work on the one mentor, especially when batches of 3-4 bedrock staff were being accepted every week, making the turnover of mentors on Bedrock really high so it seemed to make more sense to just spread them out across all the Java mentors. Other small factors like Bedrock staff feeling isolated from the rest of the team played a role in the decision to part from platform-specific mentors. The obvious downfall though was throwing the mentors into a platform they were basically super unfamiliar with but they made the best of the situation and did what they could.

I don't think a staff member is bad because they don't have every single map memorized inside out and have every single possible vs impossible jump memorized... seems like a bit of an unrealistic expectation to me and I'm not quite sure how much time you think staff have on their hands to go and learn these things. Sure, it'd be ideal for staff to know these things but it's unrealistic, I think the solution is for staff to not punish if ever they aren't sure and to just test something out themselves if they want to know if someone was exploiting or not. I'm not saying they shouldn't at least play the game and learn some more, but to me that seems like a much reasonable proposal than it is to have them learn every map.

Anyways, when you are taking a stance that all staff are stupid and bad at what they do, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they're unwilling to help you or listen to what you have to say, it sort of takes away your credibility when you say you're just here to help and that you present your ideas like anyone else when in the 5 years I've been staff, I've dealt with plenty of people who've been able to provide feedback and ideas without insulting and generalizing an entire group of individuals in the process.

Posted Oct 14, 2021
  13. y’know it makes me laugh when you guys judge something someone hasn’t even given in full detail.
    Ig it isn’t bad but it is bad when you have a crap ton of exploiters in the game and the majority of the staff team doesn’t even know what is considered legit or not so no bans are going to be given out about it. I’ve already gave a list some of the issues Mineplex needs to fix and most of them are quite easy to fix.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 14, 2021
  14. ye I would know because I'd be helping to build it of course. I was saying it would be cool if the Leadership guys requested a new one, or if dutty (Build Admin) wanted us to.

Posted Oct 14, 2021
  15. I'm sure she would

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 14, 2021
  16. Well it makes me laugh that somehow I was expected to know that you weren't finished elaborating on your ideas and that I shouldn't have commented or judged it? Onus isn't on me to figure that one out. Besides, when you bring up suggestions on a public forum, you have to be prepared for people to disagree with what you're saying and if you put something on a thread, I'm going to take it for what it is and my comment is based on what you said here and elsewhere too.

Posted Oct 15, 2021 at 3:59 PM
    Jylie and maevestarbaby like this.