• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5963 Players Online
  • 5963 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex Staff Numbers Over Time

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Marzie, Apr 22, 2021.

1. The document linked to this thread is simply just showing numbers of staff over periods of time. A lot of numbers on the chart have notes on them. If you scroll over it, it'll give you extra information on that number (such as how many Sr.Mods are on a specific team, who exactly the Admins are at that time, etc.). Why did I make this way back then? I thought it would be pretty neat to see when numbers rise/go low for staff and it was also to help people with the question, "how many staff/mods/admins/etc. are there?" - which I still somehow see today (saw it just yesterday, so that's why it got updated yesterday :) )

I made this document back in 2016 and updated it through 2017 and a bit of 2018. While I haven't updated it in a while, I decided to put yesterday's date on it and add some graphs to it. I'll see about keeping this updated at least every month if people are interested in seeing the numbers.

You can see the chart here.

Posted Apr 22, 2021
  2. Ahh yes, the Mineplex Staff Numbers Over Time document. I did enjoy looking at it two years ago to see the statistics of the current staff members every month. I still remember the staff team was big back in 2016.

I cannot wait to see any new updates in the future! :)

Posted Apr 22, 2021
    EpicEnderDragon1 and 20LeeBrian1 like this.
  3. I want to be helpful, but I'm not really good at anything =(

Posted Apr 22, 2021
  4. This is definitely cool to see the numbers change over time! It feels nice to look back in time to see how many staff there were back then.

Posted Apr 22, 2021
    Hubble likes this.
  5. Fascinating to see, can't wait too see how it changes going further into the future ^^

My only question is whether Dutty was counted as a build lead too or was just classified as admin. It said 2 build leads 7 builders for current period but Intoxicating, Joshuart and Dutty all have the build lead tag so I wasn't sure

Posted Apr 23, 2021
    Ruffybear likes this.
  6. Anyone with an Admin tag is not counted for anything else other than Admin. So no Dutty is not counted for Build Lead (I find that to be the equiv to a Sr.Mod team).

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 23, 2021
    affinity0 likes this.
  7. Wow this is really cool! How did you manage to keep track of these numbers for so long?

Posted Apr 23, 2021
  8. Wow at certain points there was a lot of staff members, it’s so low rn tho

Posted Apr 23, 2021
  9. So what I get from this is that there are less staff members as time goes by. That honestly makes perfect sense as the server is essentially dead on java. Still good to see the staff statistics though. Too bad that the server isn't as good as what it used to be

Posted Apr 23, 2021
  10. It's honestly surprising to me how bloated the staff team is, especially at Sr Mod.

Let's do some ratios: currently, there are 155 staff members. Divide this by the number of average players on the network (I'd say around 1500), you get 1 staff per 10 players. Contrast that with 2016 numbers (353 maximum staff), when the server averaged around 30000 players, and you get 1 staff per 125 players. See the problem?

Mineplex has always had a problem with hackers. This problem still persists today, despite the server having 10x the amount of relative staff. This is where I see bloat. Around 50 Sr. Mods manage teams and subteams which add little to the average player's experience instead of focusing on the core parts of being a staff member. This leads to cushy jobs and cliques forming at the top -- hence most of the dirty work (bans, mutes, moderation) being done by Trainees and newly-promoted Mods. Tell me I'm not the only one who goes to mineplex.com/staff and see names on the Mod/Sr. Mod list whom I have never seen on the network in a lobby or game.

In my view, staff should really focus on their core actions right now, especially since the server is declining. Save the server first, then you can separate yourselves into quirky subteams. I'd also eliminate the bloat by demoting inactive staff members.

Thank you for this doc, @Marzie. It will really help shed a light on the inefficiency of the staff team. P.S.: How about going all the way back to 2015? ;)

Posted Apr 23, 2021
    Paladise, Midoriya, Thenorn and 3 others like this.
  11. Heyo!
    It's fascinating to see the number of staff members throughout the years, especially in 2016. Although it's sad to see a decline in both staff and players, it's really interesting to get a feel for how the staff team has evolved over time. Thank you so much for putting this together!

Posted Apr 23, 2021
  12. Marzie, thanks so much for making this!

It really is cool to see the change over time and I am glad you are sharing it with people :)

Posted Apr 23, 2021
  13. I guess I just had a lot of motivation to keep some "history" of Mineplex that otherwise wouldn't be known if I hadn't done this. Other than that I have no clue how I did it for so long lol

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 23, 2021
    jis likes this.
  14. Thanks for making this Marzie, clearly lots of work went into this and because of that, the community now has a document they can easily refer to if they want to look over history of Staff team numbers.

Posted Apr 23, 2021
  15. Don't think I'll do that. Would be very hard, even with the wayback website. It wouldn't show everything either as it doesn't like to load sometimes/lags. Just not worth it ig.

I should probably also mention for this part - 155 and 353 are not the number you should be using. 236 for 2016 and 80 for 2021 is what you should be using. If you wanted to count in Sr.Mods - 315 for 2016 and 130 for 2021. The math you did is including Leaders, Owners, Devs, Admins and Builders, all of which do not moderate the network normally.

Just because you don't see them personally does not mean they do not get on. For me whenever I'm on the network I'm either doing /reports (so I'm invisible to normal players), in a Lobby or in Staff-1. When I'm in a lobby it's not for too long usually, maybe a few minutes. We can also be invisible in lobbies too, which sometimes I also am to watch people. If a staff went inactive for so long and didn't say a word to their Admin or StM then they would likely be demoted. If they're on a break though and notified their Admin/StM, then it's fine.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 23, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 23, 2021
  16. This was definitely interesting to look over, although it's a little saddening to see the drop in staff it's cool nonetheless to see how the numbers changed over the years. Kudos to you for the research!

Posted Apr 23, 2021

17. Could not have been more beautifully put. As cheating becomes more rampant and more of a relevant issue, I see proportionally less staff working towards the problem. It feels as if a major motivation behind a lot of people applying for staff these days is the experience behind things like subteams, sr mod teams, and more, despite the intended purpose behind being a moderator. Sometimes I wonder why having an entire team dedicated to twitter posts is better for the server in the long run than using the people in that team to combat issues that players actually experience. I myself stopped playing Mineplex because of closet cheating and other related issues and have seen others do the same as well.

Posted Apr 23, 2021
    gpsqueixo likes this.
  18. so basically

[​IMG]

Posted Apr 24, 2021
    Anna., BasicT, Im_Ken and 9 others like this.
  19. The chart is interesting. I remember when there were hundreds of staff members in 2017 and I guess it never occurred to me how little there are nowadays. Especially Trainees - double digits all the way until this year. There was one point a few months/weeks ago when there was literally only 1-2 Trainees at once, so the number has risen a bit but it's still not anything like it was just a few years back.

Please continue, I love data

P.S - if you have time, you'd be able to work a few months back too by following the Mineplex Announcements group

Posted Apr 24, 2021
  20. Yeaaa

This is true, but knowing me I'll probably get lost and displaced a lot :willy:

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 24, 2021
    maevestarbaby likes this.