• 3255 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12316 Players Online
  • 9061 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex, Please Nerf Berserker

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by VernCow, Apr 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi there!

My name is VernCow, and I've been in the Bridges community for about 4 years now.

4 years ago, the Berserker kit was even more overpowered than it is right now. Players with the Berserker kit could leap around the map unlimited times. I remember this being a huge problem as a team member would be required to be berserker kit to be able to catch up. If you are caught in a 1v1 situation with the enemy being a berserker and you not, good luck catching up to them, and it is pretty much a guaranteed win for the berserker kit. This explains the surge in berserker users back then, and berserker kit quickly became the most popular kit in Bridges, beating the likes of Miner, Bomber, Brawler and Appler.

Around a year ago, Mineplex finally realised this was an issue, and announced a nerf to the Berserker it. Players were only allowed to have 8 leaps maximum, and for every 3 hits, the player would earn 1 leap.

I am here to present and argue a case that this nerf is simply not enough, and berserker kit is the culprit for the 25 minute games that you inevitably have been on.

Imagine a 1v1 scenario, where you and your opponent are full diamond. I ran a test with a couple of friends and found out that each fight between 2 full diamond takes about 14 hits from each side, sometimes less if you are able to control your critting well enough. This 15 hits translates to 5 leaps gained, which means that both berserkers can just run off again using the 4-5 leaps, effectively stalling the game for another 2 minutes.

This process would be repeated again and again until 1 player managed to get a godly Combo on the other and pin him to a wall, or knock him off the map. Both cases are extremely unlikely however as 1 berserker could just leap away and escape easily.

As such, I am proposing an alternative. Instead of 3 hits = 1 leap gained, make it so that players have to kill other players in order to get a leap. I suggest 1 kill = 2 leap, while removing the maximum amount of leaps. This way, the games would be more likely to end quicker, and players are more encouraged to kill rather than to run the entire game for 20 minutes.

Please let me know what you think.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
    JMPhase likes this.
  2. Hey,

To start I'd like to say that I disagree with the fact that berserker is an over powered kit. It's not only that but also a good kit if you know how to use it correctly and time it efficiently but it's also a bad kit in the sense of how buggy it can actually be sometimes with the leap glitches.

I think the recent update that presented the nerf with it kit was saddening to a lot of players who use the kit including myself but I do think the games are well more balanced out and less time consuming now more than ever. That kit is not the only reason why some games last so long because players do other strategies like sky base that take up the whole 50 minutes of the game.

The scenario you did with your friends is just an advantage of using the kit. Every single kit has its own advantages to it. Players get annoyed when they get apple spammed, players get annoyed when a brawler doesn't take as much knock back, players get annoyed when getting bow spammed, players get annoyed when bomber bombs both sides of the bridges to their island on a void map so it's a hassle for players to get too, and players get annoyed when a destructed kit ruins their how sky base or a player now has to deal with being poisoned by it. That's something you have to deal with and what that kit specifically offer for players who play it. Every single one has its goods and bads.

For the last part and your idea, I actually don't disagree with you there. I don't think what you suggest is a bad idea and though I am for this kit staying the way it is, I wouldn't have a problem if that was somehow implemented in the game. I am not for the change but I do think your idea is good.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
    Dulciloquy and AspiringMod like this.
  3. Hey there, I overall disagree that Berserker is overpowered, and let me tell you why:

You're aware that a lot of people play bridges in groups of 3, 4, 5 and even more people, and sometimes you just want to play a game with only one of your friends, so you're pretty much required to 2v4, 2v5 etc. and I feel like, without being able to run and outplay the opponents, you have absolutely no chance to win whatsoever.

While I realize running may be annoying to some people, you should agree with me that, if evenly geared, 2v1s are pretty much impossible unless you're playing Berseker, because you can leap up objects and camp, leap down great heights and still take no fall damage, jump with someone in water to kill them and then quickly leap back up, the possibilities are endless if you're skilled enough to use the kit the right way.

Berserker is actually also a really skill required kit, so it's not like anyone can use it, you have to know how to place blocks below yourself after you leap, how to time your leaps and save them up (with the new update) and the range of your leap so you don't miscalculate it and fall. I feel like it really takes a lot of games to gather enough experience with the kit to understand it truly and use it to its full potential.

Another thing, that ability to run and outplay teams by yourself also has a price, if you keep running without actually fighting, you will run out of leaps and be forced to fight anyway, and also if you're playing against a brawler who takes less knockback, takes less damage and deals more knockback, your life is going to be really hard even 1v1ing that person, let alone 2v1ing as you may be alone against a few equally skilled players.

Also, for your idea, I'm neutral, as I feel like there's no need for another bridges update and that this kit is already fine the way it is, every kit has its advantages and I feel like nerfing Berserker too much would completely destroy any chance of outplay that the kit gives you. While this may not be that much of a nerf, I feel like it's just not needed at the moment.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  4. I would like to respond back to @ezlee6 's comments.

Sorry for the misphrase, but what I was trying to point out was the fact that berserker used to be way better than it is now as back then berserkers had unlimited leaps.

This scenario has appeared so many times in my games and probably your games. Even the scenario of a berserker running the entire game is probably not a foreign scenario for all of you. It is probably not a coincidence that most players on the leaderboards often play berserker kit.

I am aware of this, but I do believe that berserkers are one of the reason why games last so long, and I believe that this solution fixes one of the solutions. We can come up with another solution that fixes / discourages voidbasing, but for this thread I am only aiming to solve the berserker problem.

I completely agree with this! I'm just saying that 3 hits = 1 leap is a criteria too easy to satisfy.

VernCow~

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2020
  5. Berserker is still too powerful compared to other kits, as the downsides to berserker feel less significant than the downsides to that of other kits. It is too easy to regain berserker leaps as well. I also think it is quite odd how apple received such a massive nerf over berserker when berserker is the kit that needs a massive overhaul.

Posted Apr 10, 2020
  6. I haven't played Bridges with the new update too much but I agree. I thought it was still gonna be a problem that you only had to hit people a few times for a leap. I think your suggestion of 1 kill for 2 leaps is fair.

I would like to suggest assists giving you 1 leap though. That way if your kill is stolen by someone else you won't feel completely robbed.

Posted Apr 10, 2020
  7. Hi there!

I woud like to reply to some of the comments on this suggestion that I made.

I completely agree!
    Berserler kit's downside and limitations are really less significant than the downsides of other kits.

Here are some other kits for reference:
    Appler : While you can pretty much spam apples still, apples do only 0.25hp per hit and does very little knockback.
    Bomber Kit : While TnT does a lot of damage in Bridges, bombers only receive 1 TnT per 25 seconds with maximum of 2. In addition, TnT has a delay of approximately 3-5 seconds, and players have plenty of time to move away from it. As such, Bombers are one of the more skill required kits, requiring players to throw their tnt in the correct time in the correct place.
    Destructor kit : Sure destructor kit is really good in certain scenarios, their usefullness is severely limited during water maps. In addition, destructors only recieve an enderpearl every 40 seconds.

Berserker Leaps can be used every 10 seconds, and every leap can be gained back by hitting an enemy 3 times. Compared to the other kits, I think that this criteria of 3 hits is too easy to satisfy.

I think this is a fair solution. I am not particularly against the Leap cooldown of 10 seconds. I think that this would be a great addition if kills were to give you 2 leaps, whereas assists give you 1 leap.

Thank you so much for your time.
    VernCow~

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 10, 2020