• 326 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5498 Players Online
  • 5172 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex Newsletter - July Edition

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EmmaLie, Jul 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Awesome newsletter this month! I can see a lot of hard work and effort went into creating this edition, so great job to everyone involved!

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  2. Love the newsletter!! Fun to read and it looks amazing. :)

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  3. Heyo!

Love that the streak is still alive (posting the thread on the first of the month)! Really blown away with the context and detail of the Newsletter this month especially from the Admin article/interview which also happened to be my favorite article this month. Really lovely Newsletter for July, and cannot wait to read next months!

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    WowCaleb likes this.
  4. Woah I loved reading this newsletter and it’s clear that so much hard work went into creating this!

This month I loved reading the Admin interviews and getting to know them and their plans for the future. It was also really interesting to learn more about events and what goes on behind the scenes.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    neotheater ツ likes this.
  5. Definitely enjoyed reading this months newsletter, can't wait to see what's in store for next months.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  6. Loved reading the newsletter, I really particularly liked this month's caption the image (taken by me again :)) and the Admin article, I thought that was creative, interesting and insightful into the direction of the team. Also, I was promoted to StM on the 6th not the 7th >:(​

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    WowCaleb and Viberent like this.
  7. O hey, I made it into this one. A few errors here and there and as someone's pointed out, the articles have been somewhat too formal, even boring at certain points in my opinion, but I don't expect newsletters to be top notch anyway. I don't recall why impact poetry was removed, since I didn't read newsletters that much before and hadn't yet started actively writing, but I'd be thrilled to be able to make more submissions such as these in any article. Having only the image caption is a little underwhelming.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  8. I see that Bedrock Mod! ;) Shes pretty nice if you ever get the chance to talk to her. Nah just teasing, this newsletter was really interesting to me though because of the new admins and new bedrock update especially. Great Work!

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  9. Another amazing newsletter!

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  10. Great newsletter! Super fun to read!

Posted Jul 2, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 2, 2020
  11. Thanks for your feedback so far all :)

I loved Impact Poetry but sadly, a lot of others did not. We rarely received enough eligible submissions to justify keeping it around, as often, the same couple people would submit, basically guaranteeing them free rewards due to the lack of other submissions (not to say that their work wasn't good of course). I'd be up for bringing an art gallery in to replace Impact Poetry, as we're still looking for something to replace that contest which would hopefully be more successful. Again, if anyone has an idea for a replacement, please let us know in our Suggestions Box.

I also would love more articles, but as you know, a lot of our articles are based on updates or changes around the network. Not every month has a consistent amount of updates, meaning that the amount of articles are going to fluctuate a lot. In the past, we'd supplemented these with team interviews; however, I, other team members, and readers noted that these became pretty repetitive after awhile, and there aren't an unlimited amount of teams to interview either. We work from a limited pool of ideas and that does mean that we have difficulties always producing the same high amount of articles per month. I agree that we could continue to take more advantage of our resources; however, it's important to note that we're not working with a consistent and unlimited amount, either. Again, it sounds like you've got some good ideas so I'd appreciate it if you also used our Suggestions Box as a resource, too!

Yep, we do our best to catch errors, but alas, Deveoper will persist. When you say they're too formal, what would you prefer the tone to be? We're working on continuing to find the line between too formal and overly casual, so any concrete feedback there would be nice. I'm sorry that you found some articles boring, though I'm unsure if they were boring due to the content or due to the tone, as those would have different solutions. I'm confused on what you mean when you said you didn't expect newsletters to be top notch anyways, so I hope you could offer some clarification and possibly feedback that would allow us to exceed your expectation there! I think we announced that Impact Poetry was removed a couple months ago and it was because there were not enough eligible solutions to justify keeping it around. We also have announced a couple times since that if you had any suggestions for a replacement, you should submit them through the Suggestions Box, as we would also love to see something on top of CTI.

Thanks again for all your feedback! Please feel free to send any more feedback my way via Discord, this thread, or the official Community Survey, and submit any suggestions in the Suggestions Box linked a couple times above.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    fanbehavior, WowCaleb and xGetRekted like this.
  12. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into these newsletters and I for one can say they always interest me. I can definitely say I enjoyed this one above others as it included some feedback on the Bedrock update, which I really liked and I hope to see more articles on Bedrock in the future as most of the articles are usually java. Overall I liked reading this month’s newsletter and cannot wait for the next one!

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    WowCaleb likes this.
  13. I liked reading this edition a lot, as it went through a lot of different topics with a great amount of detail, as always. I really liked to meet and understand more about our new Admins, especially because Islend actually interviewed me for Trainee once and Flaym and I, not only were staff-1 shifting friends, but I remember his acceptance on TAP. It's really nostalgic for me.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  14. why did they take out skywars kits

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  15. they were good

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  16. Fair enough, I wrote the post shortly after waking up (still tired so the wording isn't going to be best) so I understand my criticism wasn't exactly useful. When I said it was too formal, I was refering to the variety of articles, something Iscariot brought up, as well as the tone, particularly the Admin interview article which had a good amount of unnecessary text between the participants' answers. Overall, three fairly long articles aren't necessarily a poor job, but two main events on the network, one on Bedrock which I don't play, and an article that described a part of the server which I am not too interested in didn't appeal to me personally. I really don't want to be harsh on anyone here, I understand that effort was put into writing and arranging the newsletter, but it feels like most of the creativity of this edition came from the responses of those who participated. Not to say I can do much better, although for example, as a writer I would definitely submit an article about experiences with the new summer hub design and how I & other players saw it in a few words, possibly with a word from its builders (don't know who they were but that's not the point). It introduces something personal and expressive that readers can compare their own experiences with and relate to, as well as discover something they didn't know and may even be tempted to hop onto the server and explore. I'm not saying I expected an article about it in the newsletter, but something similar in style would have made it more enjoyable.

To clarify why I said my expectations aren't for the newsletter to be top-notch, I'll use numbers. I definitely don't think a dozen teenagers and adolescents should be pulling off 10/10 reads for something they do in their free time, many with other heavier duties alongside it, much like any other team and subteam on Mineplex. I usually expect around a 7, something that was worth taking time to read, entertained me and taught me something new. Past newsletter editions usually met this expectation or exceeded it, but having had to skim over some lines in this one, it was more of a 5 to me. That is all.

Regarding your last few sentences, with 11 members on the team and aided by community suggestions, I think some initiative should be taken especially with the time available at hand. I'll do my best to take advantage of my creative side and put in a suggestion or two to help you out.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  17. I hope you all enjoy this Newsletter! Every month, we put a ton of work into it, and I'm super happy to see you all enjoying it! :)

Creating articles that will engage the community to want to continue reading is difficult. We do our best every month to make sure that all newsletters are full of articles that everyone will enjoy. However, we also understand that we have a diverse community full of different opinions regarding which types of articles they'll enjoy. Bedrock articles are not extremely common, so creating a Bedrock article in this newsletter after a large update to that side of the server was something that we found to be important. With new Administrators, gathering their thoughts and what they want to bring to the team has received positive feedback from members reading this article. You're correct in stating that it was a long article, but it also went in-depth with their thoughts and backgrounds, which can be important when looking at the future and their goals. Finally, with the Events article, much effort was put into that. It has been worked on for longer than the other articles in this newsletter and was trimmed down quite a bit from where it started at. It does sound like you have ideas for future articles and how we can edit our current ones to be more engaging, though, so I'd love to see your suggestions in our Suggestions Box so that were able to directly incorporate them into our new newsletter!

An article only about the summer update is extremely limiting. Because this update only had a new hub and pre-game lobby, the content that we can write about directly would be very little, meaning we would need to focus on interviews if we wanted a full article about this update. However, creating articles with a large amount of interviews when lots of interviewees give the same/similar replies gets repetitive and not extremely interesting to the community when reading over these articles. Adding that under another article and getting it it's own miniature heading would perhaps work better, though I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

We do our best each month to create articles that we believe the community would enjoy. However, once again, people do enjoy reading different things. What I find enjoyable to read could be very different than what you enjoy reading. Because of that, setting a number (e.g., 7/10) to hit each month is extremely subjective based on who is reading and what the articles are about. Because we maintain both Java and Bedrock, we do our best to engage both, though we also need to understand the age difference between the two communities.

You do bring up several good points with your posts. I look forward to the suggestions that you send to us so that we can improve our newsletter to be enjoyable for everyone.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  18. I understand everything you say, and I wasn't going to expand too much on my original post until Jared asked for clarification. The "ratings" I gave were indeed subjective, something that I used to portray one of my points. I think in the end, it was just that the first article was somewhat boring and the topics in other two weren't that interesting to me, although I tried my best to give my most honest criticism anyway. I'll definitely utilise the suggestion form sometime in the future, as well as keep an eye on applications when they open.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    jacvb likes this.
  19. Great newsletter as always. I really enjoyed this month's newsletter, especially the events articles hehe. It's also nice to see some insight into the new bedrock update and even an article dedicated to the two new admins! Props to all of the NL writers and editors, nice work you guys :)

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    WowCaleb likes this.
  20. This was another interesting edition. I especially really loved the detail put into the new admin interviews; it was really interesting to learn more about Flaym and Islend, and what types of plans they have for both Clans and Recruitment respectively. I enjoyed all the other articles as well! Keep up the great work :D

Posted Jul 2, 2020