• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex Newsletter - February Edition

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by BlueBeetleHD, Feb 3, 2019.

1. BlueBeetleHD

BlueBeetleHD

Feb news-min.jpg

Brr!!! Part of the world has frozen over as some Mineplexians enter temperatures colder than Antarctica. They might be popsicles, but there's always an easy way to warm up your heart: the monthly newsletter! Cuddle up in your blankets and grab a nice cup of hot cocoa as you read entertaining articles like...

- A review of recent updates
    - Insight on the new feature update website
    - Love letters
    ...and more!

Read the newsletter here!

How to contribute:

Caption the Image submissions
    Guess the Location submissions

Thank you to @Geographies and @Grandmaster for everything they've done on the Newsletter Program!
    Applications on currently open! Check them out here!

Posted Feb 3, 2019
  2. ClassN

ClassN

Hey, can you guys make "Becoming a NL" and "Becoming a NL 2: Train Harder" threads? I really need flash cards to study for my NL application! :)

Leave a potato if I didn't help!

Posted Feb 3, 2019
    flawsome, DanielW231, Dva and 6 others like this.
  3. PaintballGod/Zipppo

PaintballGod/Zipppo

Shout out to my g @Acaulis I'm glad she got her mention I'm so proud of everything she's done for her swim team. The lobby update page was informative and I'm excited for News Letter applications to open, good luck to everyone who's planning on applying!

Posted Feb 3, 2019
  4. Joiined

Joiined

Back again with another News Letter! I'm really delighted to see what is in store this month. Also, good luck to anyone who applies for NL once it opens.

Posted Feb 3, 2019
    Enunciated likes this.
  5. Phamtastic

Phamtastic

Hey there!

I really enjoy reading this newsletter for February because is so interesting! I am so glad that I am being featured in the staff bio article. I love the article about returning back to the old lobby and it looks informative! I also love these two articles, the Staff Bios, and the Be my Valentine! While I was reading through the "Be my Valentine" article, I saw that most of the peoples are saying the positive words to them. It looks way more encouraging and excitements!

Overall, I love the newsletter for this month, and I cannot wait for the March newsletter to coming out soon!

Posted Feb 3, 2019
  6. xUmbreon

xUmbreon

Hey look, I see me...twice!

Anywho, great job with the Newsletter this month - I really enjoyed reading it! Good luck to any NL applicants when apps open up :D

Posted Feb 3, 2019
    Enunciated and Joiined like this.
  7. Vocaloiid

Vocaloiid

Wait, on the newsletter it says the queue keeps you in the main hub, but doesn't it transfer you to the lobby?
    @Spoiler I'm guessing you wrote the article before the lobby transfer addition?

Posted Feb 3, 2019
    Enunciated likes this.
  8. Spoiler

Spoiler

Yep! Changes to the queuing system were made after the article was finalized. If you'd like further information regarding the current status of the update, feel free to check our discord for up-to-date information!

Posted Feb 3, 2019
    Enunciated, Joiined and Vocaloiid like this.
  9. Hcg

Hcg

lol i love how no one realizes that antarctica is in the southern hemisphere, so the temperatures anywhere else in the northern hemisphere is what it only feels like in the summer for antarctica.................

Posted Feb 3, 2019
    Enunciated likes this.
  10. TsunamiSurvivor .

TsunamiSurvivor .

Looks good! I really liked reading the article about the new feedback system; it was very informative and I am happy to say I learned a lot! I also really enjoyed reading through all of the "Be My Valentine" section. I thought it was quite interesting how you incorporated Valentine's day into the Newsletter! I am interested to see what goes on for the March Newsletter, maybe something to do with Saint Patrick's Day? Anyway, great work!

Colby

Posted Feb 4, 2019
    Enunciated likes this.
  11. BeeInc

BeeInc

Another lovely newsletter :) I really loved the "Be my Valentine" I thought it was a really neat idea. As well as the information on the new lobby/queuing system was very informative. Good luck to everyone who will be applying for Newsletter once applications open up in a few weeks! Can't wait to see the new faces of the team.

Posted Feb 5, 2019
    Enunciated likes this.
  12. SnowyKitty

SnowyKitty

As the writer of this thread, I just want to say that I like exaggerating everything. It was still cold and I'm cold and I want winter to be over :((

(Also thanks to all the lovely replies ;w; we all appreciate it!)

Posted Feb 5, 2019
  13. Jeapordizes

Jeapordizes

Woo Hoo! Newsletter, Love the one with all the paragraphs about all the love and appreciation for the community and staff. I cannot wait for what the NL has in store for us next month!

Posted Feb 5, 2019
    Enunciated likes this.
  14. SaucyStyle

SaucyStyle

Another great newspaper! Thank you to the amazing Newsletter Program for taking the time to create such a vibrant, entertaining paper for us to read! This month, I really liked the 'Be My Valentine' portion, as it was really sweet to see all the thoughtful, kind notes.

Can't wait to see the next month's newsletter!
    -SaucyStyle <3

Posted Feb 6, 2019
    Enunciated likes this.
  15. Iscariot

Iscariot

Newsletter 42
    Feedback

Nothing stated is definite and by any regard has the intent to demean or disregard the work of the teams involved in the creation of this issue.

Updated cover graphic: It doesn’t match MP’s current branding (esp. with feather-edge blurs, dynamics lighting, 3D letterforms). Why not use the new logo? That one does have what this current one has regarding the render, but I don’t see any reason why a flat version couldn’t be made. If you do use the current logo, pairing it with updated backgrounds would be lovely (mentioned next).

Background visibility: I definitely have said this before, but the background isn’t helping the layout as much as it could. It's very dark. I’d suggest doing an entirely new one, or taking part of the website header image. I also can’t see the heart pattern unless I really look for them. There’s barely a difference between the heart color and the document background - either make them stand out (why not red or pink on both?) or just override the old one and start new on it.

Text color: With a lighter (and more vibrant) background you’d be able to have black text on these backgrounds (esp. if a white overlay on low opacity is blended on top for increased contrast). I don’t understand why this grey was chosen - pretty much, be consistent in matching colors to the website interfaces. It makes for more recognizable content even when it’s direct/labeled for you.

Letterform spacing: The type tracking on the website link is too low. I understand there’s other info to include on that line, maybe add a small circle or symbol (discretely) between the three info bars. “Created by the…” is also too tight, which isn’t as difficult to read when you use orange alongside grey, but still noticeable. I also have a list of typefaces that would be great for the future; 42 issues in, it’s okay to adapt your content, people will still be thrilled to read it each month!

Hierarchy: The temp. logo (mentioned first) is the same size as “FEBRUARY EDITION”. I know what I’m reading, that’s why I clicked on it… And I know what month it is. This info does not need to be the main things on the page by any means. I feel like the sizing is to take up negative space, referenced before by the type tracking amount. I would much rather see a well done illustration than implied information that really doesn’t need to be said so loudly.

Alignment + numbers: (On the CONTENTS page), there are several items justified left, centered, tracked *very* high (and very little in some instances) flushed left + stacked, and a lot of typeface sizes. This goes back to hierarchy, but this second page is scattered regarding where things are placed. Also, skipping page 4 looks daft. Yes, it’s a continuation, I get it. Why not have “Be My Valentine!” With (cont.) beneath it either a lighter weight or generally smaller. I know it’s a small thing, but it’s a detail that’ll stick with me going through the newsletter.

Type weights: In the grafs (paragraphs), you need different weights for accented words. It’s a lot of text to read when there is no bold, italic, etc. or alternatively, light, medium, regular, semi-bold, bold, heavy, etc. [etc., etc.]. This goes back to having grey text on a nearly black background. I don’t want to, but instinctively I skip oner sections because I only see images and a lot of text. It’s a turn-away you don’t need to have.

Image placement: Based on where you’re having images, the body grafs are somewhat messy and go all over the page. I don’t want to struggle to read articles - top to bottom, left to right. Start with that because images should not determine here where your information is going. I’d rather have a dynamic article with the above concepts applied then one that’s difficult to read but has images. The images lose it’s joy, it’s magic. Use them to enhance the reader, not to make them only look at that and then continue.

Lets start with that. If anyone involved has direct questions, comments or concerns on anything either said or on their mind regarding what they wrote/made, message me on the forums.

Thanks for a good read!
    -Iscariot/Banksy

Posted Feb 11, 2019
  16. Vocaloiid

Vocaloiid

Posted Feb 11, 2019
  17. SnowyKitty

SnowyKitty

Applications are now open! I and the rest of the team cannot wait to see who applies. We all wish you the best of luck. Applications will close on February 24th at 9 PM EST. Check the end of the thread for the link to the application.​

Posted Feb 14, 2019 at 8:13 PM
  18. flawsome

flawsome

I'd highly encourage all those who have a passion for writing/editing, or just literature in general, to apply. The NL team is a positive environment where you can grow and let your writing/editing abilities shine alongside other talented individuals, and we're all very supportive of each other (except for the times when we call each other bad).

Best wishes to all! I'm very excited to see some new faces on the team! xo

Posted Feb 15, 2019 at 1:13 AM
    Satiate, Vocaloiid and SnowyKitty like this.
  19. Overdog

Overdog

I can't wait to see all the new people on the team. Anyone who wants to help out/contribute to the community and enjoy writing, this would be perfect for them. Maybe I'll apply, who knows? :eyes:

Posted Feb 17, 2019 at 10:58 AM
  20. Great newsletter! I really liked the "Be My Valentine" section.

Good luck to anyone applying!

Posted Feb 17, 2019 at 4:40 PM