• 1164 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6106 Players Online
  • 4942 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Mineplex Network Status Page

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by VernCow, Apr 16, 2020.

?

Should a Mineplex Server Status Page be added onto the Forums?

1. Yes!

41 vote(s)
    91.1%
  2. No. This is a waste of time.

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there!

As of right now, Mineplex is currently down. A good indicator of this would be the 40 players that are currently online right now, as well as the message that you get when you make an attempt to log in

As such, I think that to prevent any unnecessary panic and confusion, the forums should include a page detailing Mineplex's status on all its services, including both bedrock and java servers, as well as the discord. This page could also give players an estimated time when Mineplex would be up again, as well as the reason why Mineplex is down.

While I understand that this is a minor change and therefore isn't urgent, I think that this idea would bring positive benefits to the Mineplex network in general.

Let me know what you think! :D
    VernCow~

Posted Apr 16, 2020
    Wiz, Specy, xSusieLove and 9 others like this.
  2. Just what I was thinking!

Posted Apr 16, 2020
    WeirdoFish likes this.
  3. Please implement this, sometimes I am unsure whether it is a problem on my side or mineplex's side.

Posted Apr 16, 2020
    xWand, WeirdoFish and christxqn like this.
  4. While this sounds great, I don't think it would be used properly with how they haven't even announced they are having issues or what could be causing them.

Sure, they maybe busy trying to fix the issue, but I am sure there is at least one leader/admin or some other higher up that could at least tell people what is going on to lower the amount of threads regarding any downtime.

Posted Apr 16, 2020
    WeirdoFish likes this.
  5. Hi all!

Thank you so much to those who support this idea. I hope this gets implemented in the near future, seeing that there is an overwhelming support. Thank you to those who voted, your input makes such a huge difference for the future of Mineplex.

VernCow~

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 16, 2020
  6. This sounds good to me, and I'm in full support of the idea. My only fear is that it would take some upkeep to have the page updated. However, you would like to assume that the server going offline wouldn't happen very often so this wouldn't be an issue.

Though I would like to add that Mineplex did have a dedicated page displaying the servers online status along with the reason of any downages and if they were expected or not. I'm unsure why it was removed but perhaps someone with that knowledge will have a better idea on how probable this is to be re-implemented and let us know here.

Posted Apr 17, 2020
  7. Hey!
    In my opinion, this sounds like a great idea. I think that community should know whether or not the server is down rather than wasting time trying to figure it out on their own. At first, I was so confused oh why I could't log on. Luckily, I checked the Mineplex discord and other people seemed to be having the same problem, which obviously indicated that it wasn't just me.

Posted Apr 17, 2020
  8. They used to have one but it was discontinued I believe due to a lack of interest from the developers side.

Posted Apr 17, 2020
  9. I'd rather Mineplex post a notice on the forums and/or a message on Twitter whenever there's an outage rather than dedicating resources to a status page since Mineplex goes down so rarely.

Posted Apr 17, 2020
  10. Hello!

While this could be useful for people to see whether the issue is on their end or Mineplex's, it could be made futile by our other channels of communication. For example, one could find a constant stream of updates on the Mineplex Discord - where other players were receiving the same error message, thus undermining the need for a server status page.

Although the idea is a good one, the effort required to maintain it (i.e. keep it updated) outweighs that for a player to simply join the Discord instead.

Danny

Posted Apr 17, 2020
  11. From the little outage that happened yesterday, I would like to see this element on the forums. I think it would be useful as I could just check if the server is down or not before joining. It would also be nice to see the status along a period of time, might be useful for statistics or marketing on the LT side of things?

Posted Apr 17, 2020
  12. Hey,

I really think the main purpose of this thread is to allow some sort of way for Mineplex to announce if their server is shut down or has issues. Just like with the recent issue, none of the community knew what was going on, and the problem lasted for a while. This is something similar to before when Immortal was about to be released, and the server was supposedly down for a while. Anything can happen in these cases, but the main problem is that there is usually a lack of communication between the LT(Leadership team) and community. Personally, a new status page for Mineplex would be a waste of resources, and rather they could do something like announce in their discord if there are issues with the server. Also, it's hard to make estimated times depending on the issue, so it would be difficult to give out an estimated time, unless it was a range(Like 2-4 hours). But then, this would pressure the developers to fix their bug as soon as possible, which could be worth it. Similar with bedrock, there have been multiple occasions where people aren't able to log on, and the LT won't give a specific reason other than "issues". I just think a good option to prevent this is to actually announce on some platform if a certain platform is down or not, then there will be less people spamming help section threads about a server being down. Otherwise, hope I gave good feedback on why it would be better just to announce if a server is down in the Mineplex Discord.

Posted Apr 17, 2020
    ShipshapeMC likes this.
  13. Vern!!!!
    I would definitely like to see some sort of status indicator, even if it is as simple as Offline or Online. Sometimes, if a random crash happens, the Mineplex team may not know why or how long it will take to come back online, so I don't know about this component, but maybe for scheduled downtime such as updates I would love to see a reason why and a ETA for the server to come back up. Maybe a box on the home page with twitter updates, if the twitter page was transformed and used in this manner? Maybe just a box showing the status on the home page if possible? The discord could also be used, if they always kept it posted in a certain channel and made an official thread that linked the status, that might be able to work. Overall I think this is a great idea, and I think there are many ways that this can be implemented! +1 from me

Posted Apr 17, 2020
    VernCow likes this.
  14. I think they should install a simple status page such as Cachet or statuspage.io and optionally add netdata or Grafana so players can see if the lag is network or server side. I bet Mineplex already has a internal Grafana or netdata dashboard, so it would be pretty simple to reverse proxy and make it publicly facing.

Posted May 21, 2020
  15. Yes, this will save a lot of time and panic for the network. Instead of asking in the forums or Discord, players will see that the server is down. Staff will not have to respond to players' concerns, as they will already know themselves. I know they sometimes announce on Twitter, but that is simply not public enough. Not everyone on the network uses Twitter, but a much larger amount use the forums, so this is a more useful place to announce the server's status. Additionally, instead of just online or offline, it can also be more precise by using wifi bars to represent how stellar the connection is. 5 bars is normal, while anything less then that will suggest that some players will be laggy.

+1

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications

Posted May 25, 2020
  16. We, unfortunately, will not be doing this. We don't have the time or resources to do this. If we did have the page up, it wouldn't be maintained at all and then left behind like our old one. It's just not worth the effort.

We'll give this the not planned tag and you can message me with questions or concerns.

Posted May 25, 2020
    Ruffybear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.