• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6324 Players Online
  • 3434 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex is a homophobic and anti gay / LGBT Server

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by spaghettibro, Jun 14, 2020.

?

Should words like gay and lesbian be unblocked by mineplex filter

1. YES! Its 2020 these words are not to be ashamed of

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No! Im homophobic and dont like people being gay and lesbian and it makes me uncomfortable

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You may disagree with this thread but fr im talking straight facts.

Its 2020 and words like "gay" and "lesbian" are still blocked by the filter. Why are these words blocked by the filter? Are mineplex against the LGBTQ+ community ?
    Surely these words shouldn't have to blocked by the filter in 2020. Do mineplex not want people to say gay or lesbian on their server? Whats wrong with the words gay and lesbian??? These words are not bad to say. Can you not express yourself on the server without *** or ******* appearing on the server chat.

If you can't unblock LGBTQ+ words then you clearly are a homophobic server. The word gay is not offensive and if you can't control homophobic people on the server then you need to sort yourselves out.

Posted Jun 14, 2020
  2. Mineplex is absolutely not a homophobic server. The reason that these are filtered is because over 90% of the time, these words are used to harass others. However, if you filter bypass to say something like "hey i'm gqy", that is simply stating your own ***uality and is in NO way punishable. We support the LGBTQ+ community, but to prevent abuse to people on our servers, these words are filtered.

Posted Jun 14, 2020
  3. If you have to filter them because players are harrassing and abusing LGBT players then that is Mineplex's problem. Let people express themselves on YOUR server. Unblock the filter for LGBT words because honestly there is no problem with the words unless YOU have a problem with the LGBTQ+ community

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 14, 2020
  4. Words which are wrong and offensive should only being blocked by the filter and last time i checked being part of the LGBTQ+ community is not wrong or does not cause offense to any players unless your homophobic. If players are misusing these words they can be punished by your Staff team.

OP OP
  5. This is the statement taken directly from the rules page relating to filter bypass:

This is perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Like @ScarletBlood37 mentioned, people are free to express their ***uality and will not be punished if they use filtered LGBTQ+ words to do so. The words are filtered so that they are not used in a malicious way against players, not because Mineplex is anti-LGBTQ.

Posted Jun 14, 2020
  6. Hello

I am openly gay, I can say that I have dealt with homophobia in the community, but never from the staff, they are blocking those words because people abuse them and use them as derogatory terms which is NOT fun for us!

People like to throw around the word 'gay' as if it is an insult or something to be ashamed about and that's the real reason that words like it are blocked, not because the server or rules committee are homophobic. I was raised up in schools and communities that brought a nasty and negative stigma around the word 'gay' and that's just how it is even in 2020 unfortunately, but Mineplex are in no way to blame for that. There is more harm and hurt for me and the other LGBT people in the server when the word is thrown around in a derogatory or negative way so I speak on behalf of many people when I say that I would rather it just be blocked, people need to learn that they can't use the word 'gay' to insult people and this is the best way to do so.

:)

Posted Jun 14, 2020
    Nimpy, CrimsonComet, Fusafez and 8 others like this.
  7. You're right, players using LGBTQ terms to harass other players is Mineplex's problem- and they chose to solve that problem by filtering the words. Honestly, Mineplex/Minecraft online isn't really the place to be discussing ***uality anyways.

Posted Jun 14, 2020

8. If someone says "Im gqy" then whats your problem in unblocking the word? Someone can say "your gqy jump off a bridge!"

OP OP
  9. I have mixed feelings about this, but these threads are always denied and they I respect the reason to keep the filter in place. Keep in mind that the network is comprised of many younger players, and Mineplex is trying to avoid encouraging/introducing homophobic behavior to these players. On top of that, calling someone gay is just about every 12-year-olds favorite insult, and before the filter was in place these phrases were passed around all the time. These words are almost always used negatively and as a weapon, and though I understand how this decision in itself appears homophobic at first, you have to understand the reasoning behind it.

Posted Jun 14, 2020
  10. These words were blocked to stop homophobic people from genuinely being rude, its not homophobic.

Posted Jun 14, 2020
    christxqn and zlxr (Suspici0us) like this.
  11. Mineplex obviously aren't trying to avoid homophobic behaviour or every word used to describe someone gay should be blocked. They obviously haven't done enough if words are still easy to bypass by the filter.

OP OP
  12. You can still bypass the word gay in many ways so they clearly do not care if homophobic people are abusing their LGBT players

OP OP
  13. I really don’t think you should be talking about that on a server meant for kids. I don’t know why you would need to say that I’m not trying to be homophobic at all But it prevents harassment

Posted Jun 14, 2020
    kciNrM likes this.
  14. Are you not allowed to talk about something with your friends by /msg or party chat?

OP OP
  15. Not everyone speaks in pub chat.

OP OP
  16. As many have said, these words are on the filtered list because the majority of people use these words negatively. Mineplex wouldn't be blocking these words if there wasn't a reason to, therefore I can guarantee you that Mineplex isn't a "homophobic server". Sure, some people that play may be homophobic, but that doesn't make it a homophobic server.

All the words on the filtered words list can be bypassed easily, but punishment is waiting around the corner for those who do bypass them. There is nothing that changes with these words. If somebody can bypass a filtered word, that doesn't mean that filtered word should be unfiltered because that would cause even more drama than this is causing at the moment.

Posted Jun 14, 2020
    Nimpy and ScarletBlood37 like this.
  17. Why would you need to talk to your friends you could just say something like hey im gqy

Posted Jun 14, 2020
  18. Yeah, the first example "i'm gqy" is an example of something that is completely fine and abides to our rules. As for "your gqy jump off a bridge!" that obviously breaks the rules. It could fall under multiple offences- filter bypass, death wishes, etc.
    Most encounters regarding bypassing the filter to say LGBTQ+ words are for abusing other people. Furthermore, as this is a gaming community, it's really not the right place to have these discussions.

For party and /msg chat, we can't moderate it unless it gets reported. You're allowed to talk about it unless you're failing to comply the rules, but you run the risk of getting reported by whoever you talk to in that party or message.

Of course you can bypass it in many ways. Same goes for every filtered word. We do care and we will punish rulebreakers who try to abuse our LGBTQ players.

Posted Jun 14, 2020,
    Last edited Jun 14, 2020
    zlxr (Suspici0us) and Shipsa like this.
  19. I don't see what the problem is with unblocking the words. If you can bypass the filter and saying "gaxy" instead then the same amount of harassment is going to take place if it was blocked by filter or if it wasn't blocked by filter.

OP OP
  20. You're right, somebody could say that, but then they would be bypassing the filter in order to be abusive towards someone which would likely result in them being punished. It's fairly common for players to bypass the filter which is why rules are in place to punish the people who do. I don't think removing the filter altogether would be a logical thing to do just because people are able to find ways around it.

Posted Jun 14, 2020
    ScarletBlood37 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.