• 333 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4525 Players Online
  • 4192 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex 2021 [Year in Review]

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by MiningCreeper, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Hiya Plexers! It's the guy who never posts on the forums except when there's events :))

Now's the time to change that, though. Just like last year, I've spent some time gathering data about the server's performance throughout the year, and I'm here to share it with you!

Java Performance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The "max player count" describes the highest number of players connected to Java Mineplex each day.
    The "average player count" describes the average number of players connected to Java Mineplex each day.

Both charts show the moving average over the course of 14 days (the 7 prior and following days).

And, well, there's nothing really surprising here. The count took a dip after the first 9 months of the year went by without any updates (who could've guessed), but the recent Halloween and Christmas updates definitely helped the server recover. And better yet, there's more coming out soon!

The record last year was set on January 16 with 4450 players – a number that has not been reached since. The average player count over the whole year was at 706, the lowest average count over the course of a single day was 150 on October 5. That's certainly a stark contrast when compared to earlier years! Speaking of...

[​IMG]

While not much data was available before 2017, I've tried to reconstruct the curve with individual datapoints, such as the former world record of 43000 players back in 2015. Pretty impressive (or not, depending how you look at it haha).

Bedrock

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bedrock is something I can't really comment on since I'm not as involved, but it really is surprising how stable the player count is. Sure, you can tell when the pandemic started by the spike in early 2020, but aside from that, it's been pretty much the same for years.

To me, it's kind of a shame how neglected Bedrock feels, because it is unarguably the future of the network – yet so many bugs and issues remain unfixed. At any rate, the player count doesn't seem to reflect those concerns. I guess it's a completely different audience compared to Java: one that might not expect as many updates and patches, and enjoys playing no matter what.

Also I just figured you could create an interactive version of the charts so if you'd like to see for yourself, here you go!

Staff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back in 2020, we were able to welcome dozens of staff members who decided to return amidst the pandemic. Unfortunately, a large share of them have left the team again by now – which has certainly impacted the number of staff members in 2021. Rest assured that even though not as many remain, we're all trying our best :)

Immortals

[​IMG]

This time, I decided against counting the number of immortal subscriptions every day, as there weren't any updates on the horizon and it wasn't really worth the hassle.

That said, compared to the start of 2021 with about 3292* active subscriptions, this number has decreased to 2568* subscribers at the end of the year. In other words, almost every fourth Immortal player has cancelled their subscription at some point during the year.

Given the exceptional delays in releasing immortal cosmetics (heck, you had to wait three months for the october cosmetic) paired with the poor price/performance ratio, this doesn't come as a surprise.

*Please bear in mind that the member count of the Immortal community does not accurately reflect the number of active subscribers, as you will not be removed from the community once your subscription expires, unless you join the server again afterwards. While this is a negligible effect, I'd expect the actual amount of subscriptions to be 5-10% below the Immortal community member count.

GIMME MORE
    Alright, if you're still looking for more reading material:
    • Be sure to check out @Evgeens thread over here for an overview of all updates over the course of 2021
    • Take a look at the Mineplex Wiki for a semi-complete list of the server's entire history (this segment was brought to you by the Wiki Team!)
    • Check out last year's thread and see how horribly my predictions went lmao
    And of course...
    Thanks to Marzie for keep tracking of the staff member statistics over the years, and Minetrack Data, Minecraft MP and Minecraft Stats for serving all other stats.

Now I can finally return to not posting anything for another year :peace:

Posted Jan 20, 2022,
    Last edited Jan 23, 2022
    whalker, DrRentzel, Tobias and 9 others like this.
  2. Wow, wow, and ow

Posted Jan 20, 2022
    Therealmcfry, Ian923 and ItsMeTanish like this.
  3. Hey,

It was really interesting reading through all of this, great work! The data charts are fun to look through, while also being quite sad to look through as well. I like having this all in one place if I ever need any sort of player count / progress update chart or whatever. Again, really great work compiling all this information and putting it into one place.

Posted Jan 20, 2022
    Therealmcfry likes this.
  4. yes plz bedrock graphs

Posted Jan 20, 2022
    N0TVexx and Therealmcfry like this.
  5. This is sad but cool to look at, I would like to see the bedrock network possibly also.

Posted Jan 20, 2022
    N0TVexx and Therealmcfry like this.
  6. Insane, never have I ever expected Immortal subscriptions to have a quite decent graph.

I guess the Immortals are Immortal afterall.

Posted Jan 20, 2022
    Therealmcfry and Ian923 like this.
  7. Really interesting data. It's crazy to think that there were nearly 200 Mods on the server at one point. I'm also surprised at how well the amount of Immortal subs has held up since mid 2020 (relative to the change in overall player count). It would be nice to have some more detailed player count data prior to 2017, but what can you do. Nice work anyways.

Posted Jan 20, 2022
    Therealmcfry likes this.
  8. Hmm..

Posted Jan 20, 2022
  9. Well I'd really like to see you do bedrock stats. If there was a graph to show how little staff we have then maybe it would it would get more attention. Also, I would like to see how the player count has declined over time due to lack of updates, too much hackers, staff and events. It was once at 14k in like 2020 but it went down. At one point it was like 6k but I think it went back up to 10k recently

Posted Jan 21, 2022
    GRGoodGame likes this.
  10. Bedrock chart please

Posted Jan 21, 2022
    N0TVexx likes this.
  11. Wait a second.
    Does this mean there are no events this year o_O

Posted Jan 21, 2022
    MiningCreeper likes this.
  12. We love to see that ever so slight rise in players over the past few months. I really hope the number keeps growing and the server keeps developing. Like someone before me pointed out a bit before as well, it's interesting how Immortal subscriptions were relatively consistent over a long period of time despite the massive drop in players.

Bedrock progress would be great to see as well, I agree with everyone here :D The player count also had its highs and lows so it'd be cool to see its overall performance.

Posted Jan 21, 2022
  13. Hi
    This was really interesting to look at, I'm really glad this information was kept track of.

Looking at the player count in general, I think the steady decline over the past few years is to be expected. It's quite interesting to see the impact of the pandemic on the player count, indicated in the spike in early 2020. From that point, there seems to be another decline. It's really crazy to think about how many players there used to be on average.

A similar thing can be said about the staff team. There was an incline starting in early 2020 because of the pandemic (that's the reason I started playing again and how I ended up joining the staff team) but sadly we lost a lot of the staff members that joined at that time.

Going to the immortal subscriptions, it's surprising that it has remained pretty constant since the summer of 2020. Of course, this might not be completely accurate given that not all members of the immortal community are active subscribers, but I agree this probably would have little effect on the actual data. I'd expect most who end their subscription will go ahead and leave the community themselves.

Overall, these graphs were very interesting to look at. It is indeed sad to see this decline over the years, but perhaps we will see more inclines and spikes in the future (it's best to be optimistic)! Thanks to those involved in collecting and organizing this data, I imagine it was a lot of work. Also, I agree that it would be nice to see something similar done on Bedrock! :)

Posted Jan 21, 2022
  14. There will be, we just have a lot of changes to do currently. I think he just means posting outside of the events section

Posted Jan 21, 2022
    ItsMeTanish likes this.
  15. Interesting stats, thank you! It's intreseting to see the different trends overtime and how the pandemic boosted it in the first quarentine.

Posted Jan 21, 2022
  16. Bold of you to assume that

-----

I'll add the Bedrock stuff when I get around to :')

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 22, 2022
    ItsMeTanish likes this.
  17. ok then bye Felicia :sigils:

Posted Jan 22, 2022
  18. filling out my resignation form rn >:(

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 22, 2022
  19. OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 23, 2022
  20. Really like how you addressed the problems of bedrock and how neglected it is, thank you man. You did a good job with the chart

Posted Jan 23, 2022
    GRGoodGame and MiningCreeper like this.