• 346 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5348 Players Online
  • 5002 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Minecraft - How to be a real player

Discussion in 'Mineplex Guides' started by SupremaVivo, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Hello there,

I noticed that more and more players ingame were becoming nasty : arrogant and/or lying, hacking, toxic, you get the idea. The thing is, after playing 10 years of Minecraft, I was beginning to wonder : what if I make something neat to contribute to the Mineplex community, and even beyond, in order to teach how to be a real player. Moreover, I noticed the same mistakes was getting made by these type of players. So to make things all clear, I really do hope it will help with the minimum but still right amount of words, here we go.

1. Explanations

Let's start with the basics : I call a player a "real player" someone that understand the concept of maturity, honor, and honesty. So it has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with winning or losing a game, it doesn't proove anything at all in an argument. Some people said to me "oh it's because you lost you're mad", nope : it's because you're being someone arrogant and toxic I say something.

The major mistake I see often from the mouth of players moreover young is to do everything they want behind a screen, or not being aware of what represent this online game, and say "it's a game". Minecraft, like all the other games online, is just not "a game" : when you go in a server, there is naturally social interactions involved. It got prooved many times by people from different fields that online activity affects people, it has an effect on the brain by seeing things like real life, and also has influence in real life as well. For example, seeing a hacker or a griefer in game don't let people indifferent ; seeing someone bragging is not letting people indifferent.

Which brings to the next issue : the notion of "humor". Often times, I saw players wrote it was for joking. The notion of "humor" tends to crumble when it comes to personal and egocentric reasons, and online activities made this worse by letting people unleashing their frustration and mood on their screen (heard that from so many players in my career). Something that needs to be adressed indeed.

2. Personal note

Beware that handling these kind of situations is not easy, and I mean it. I still to this day cannot prevent myself to say something in order to help make things react, believe it or not I never had bad intentions toward any player despite how crude it can or could have looked. I'm not ashamed to say I got angry many times in game, but only from unfairness and seeing people arrogant or toxic. After all, who didn't, and it's also natural to feel not in a good mood in front of some situations, it's life. The best thing to do is trying to apprehend the situation the best way possible, with maturity. Of course sometimes it will be too few or too much, but we all learn and improve this way.

The idea is to find the right balance between staying objective, and spicing things up when things get confirmed and become worse, while still staying cool in mind and always with the mindset to do things for the best.

3. Examples

So here are the classic situations, and how to handle them. The sentences given in reply to these are general, after it depends of the situation in particular. It's also just to give you an insight about what to think about these situations. NEVER try to argue back if you're not ready for it.

- "Can I have a block ?" in CH parkour : huge risk to see them using the block to skip levels, just say "No", or if you're in a good mood, "No block :3", something like this. Or you can also say "I can give you a cookie" x3
    - "I'm 9" when being toxic : "Who knows ? You still have to respect the community for everyone sake"
    - "No" when obviously arrogant : "Yes", but one time only, after that let it go.
    - "It's for fun" when someone is hacking : "Only for you, others are not having fun because you're making things unfair".
    - "ez", "first try" : don't say anything to these arrogant sentences. Moreover, we don't know if these players are hacking or not (some of them are "talented" to hide this well). If this become too much, I don't hesitate to say "there are other people who want to play the game and have fun you know".
    - "gg" : seen more and more as arrogant victory, just don't say it or alternate it. In response to that, say nothing.
    - someone coming closer and doing awkward gestures (sneaking quickly) : we all know what it comes to, just stay away or completely ignore it by maybe even doing something else, it will counter their will to disturb others.
    - "Cheater" when someone lost to a game : "I don't hack, after you can feel free to report me if you think I did".

You see the idea. If you feel not wanting to argue back, to avoid fire or not wanting to waste your energy and time, just don't reply. And in case of, don't forget you can still report players that you think are too toxic and hackers at https://www.mineplex.com/reports.

Posted Jul 25, 2022,
    Last edited Jul 27, 2022
  2. BROOOOOOOO. So funny I was just teaching this hacker about having respect/honor in the community and not lying and being toxic after. Bro Imma legit save this thread. You've said the words my g. People really need to listen to this and stop babying around like they can control the scenario/ feelings of other's so easily.

edit- and the fact some kids will make jokes out of this post and try to victimize themselves is sad. Why does the world have to act this way? theres nothing to gain anyway from this on mineplex.

Posted Jul 25, 2022
  3. I don't think a lot of us actually talk about this and I think it needs to be brought more to light, it's been proven many times our activity online (scrolling through social media as just one example) does affect us in many ways (emotionally, intellectually etc etc). I think a lot of gaming culture is just being toxic and being ignorant towards the consequences.

Sorry for not going in chronological order haha, I'm not all that bothered about people being "immature" a lot of gamers are just generally quite young and so you can't really expect everyone to be "mature", anyway.. what does "being mature" look like? I think good values for people in general but online as well should be honesty, respectful and overall being a good sport :)

Or would it be best just to not give them a reaction?

Meh, when I say "gg" I don't mean it at all in that way, if anything it's just a force of habit.. I would rather my opponent say gg then nothing, to me it's just good sportsmanship

Posted Jul 26, 2022
  4. It do need to be brought up more.

Posted Jul 26, 2022
    danb76 likes this.
  5. Hi there Soul, this was quite an interesting thread to read. To share my two cents on this topic, it's probably best to leave these players as is, and ignore them. Of course, report any player who may break our rules, but do not give into the behavior that is portrayed by others looking to start trouble. Unfortunately, the internet has it's pros and cons and there is always going to be disrespectful/immature people, trolling and rule breakers. That's just the nature of the Internet. This was a cool thread, but there are my two cents.

Posted Jul 26, 2022
    danb76 likes this.
  6. There's not much I can think of to say other than I have noticed the same thing as you. But I believe that as new generations evolved, more and more insensitive people are growing up. I just think there's nothing to do about it really. Moderating it doesn't do anything. I just believe that the older players should be more tolerant of it and show no sign of care to those being mean because mean players just feed off of their 'victims' care. Anyway, there's not much to do other than ignoring it because this is how the world is becoming. Don't think about it too much though, don't let it get to you :D

Posted Jul 29, 2022
    tori and danb76 like this.
  7. Unfortunately, I have learned the hard way that jerks will be jerks.

Posted Jul 29, 2022
  8. Thanks for making this thread, it reminded me to keep my cool sometimes. For example sometimes when I'm looking at another base in cw and someone runs up to me and hits me off from the back I would say smth in chat like bro that is so cheap. Even though that situation may be frustrating I should've just kept playing the game.

Posted Jul 29, 2022
  9. I generally agree with this thread but I generally just say "GG" regardless of when I win or lose, especially when I'm up against someone who's good. I fail to see how it's arrogant to tell people you enjoyed playing the game with them lol.

Posted Jul 29, 2022
    MarmotteSoprano and LostShrimp13 like this.
  10. agreed with his statement i feel like it is sort of a good sport move to make saying that you enjoyed playing with them.

Posted Jul 29, 2022
  11. I think something that might help players when they get heated, 'toxic' or salty is to remember to take breaks and learn when you've reached your limit.
    sometimes you just gotta take a little break to steam off, we all get a little bit salty sometimes and saldy some just don't know when they've reached their limit and when it's time to say ''okay, maybe i should take a break for today''!
    as of the gg part, i don't really think saying gg is toxic or arrogant, rather it's just something you say to show good sportsmanship! i always say ggwp after a game to let everyone know that it was a good game even if i was on the losing team and that's okay.
    but besides that, i think this is a really good thread and i might even think about adding some of your tips for when i get a bit salty so i can alteast make the game a little bit more enjoyable for my fellow players c:

Posted Jul 29, 2022
  12. look i hate to bring it to u, but toxicity is the only way to stay on top of everything... when u face the big guys u will know what im talking about

Posted Jul 29, 2022
  13. I didn't know that flaming your opponents was a good alternative to left clicking on the mineman. I'll try that next time. /s

Posted Jul 29, 2022
    tori likes this.
  14. Hi there,

I think most people would agree that toxicity isn't nice at all and sometimes it can ruin the server experience, however, I don't necessarily agree with everything you mention. As others have mentioned above, saying 'gg' is a habit for many players and is not intended to be arrogant at all. I've always said gg since I played Minecraft and I don't intend to stop now.

What I do agree with you on though is your point of not arguing back. Toxic players are always wanting you to react so don't argue back: that's what they want. If they keep bothering you then on Java edition you can always use /ignore and on Bedrock, you can find another lobby.

What I would say to toxic players is this though: it's a game. Nobody cares if you win. It just looks a bit pathetic to get so toxic over a game that in no way is going to change your life. If you have nothing kind to say then you don't have to say anything. The ability to remain silent is your friend.

-Minium

Posted Jul 30, 2022
    tori likes this.
  15. A very good thread. I'd also like to mention those sorts of people that think they're cool because they behave a certain way (which is really wrong). In a Clans lobby earlier, I did see people talking negatively about homo***uality - this centered around one person trying to drag multiple people into it (through things like encouraging violent rhetoric and obsessively talking about homo***uality), and also calling people "gay" when they killed them. That person also founded a clan with an explicit name I won't mention, and even invited me to join. I pretended to AFK at a shop though, so I never said anything in chat throughout this, and obviously didn't join. Though I guess this sort of person you already covered while mentioning humour.

I grew out of obsessively playing Minecraft so I know its allure and of the feedback it can have on real life. Something I might still be coping with.

In my opinion the best way of handling these situations is to keep your distance... metaphorically I guess. Control yourself and let things play out. There are channels to report the behaviour that needs reporting. Otherwise I guess if someone does something mild, it's okay to chat to them constructively.
    In real life we often talk about self defense, but we should honestly have some tactics to use in these online spheres too.

Posted Aug 4, 2022