• 1403 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3487 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Micro-Battles Decay Rate.

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by Passengers, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Decay speed decrease:
    Heya people, recently I've been reading a thread on micro-battles and then I decided to play a few games of it. I've noticed decay speed has really taken a lot out of the game from when it was first introduced, and imo it needs to be reduce so let me know what you think down below.

‣ Decay is way too fast, the speed of decay needs to be slow to allow players to use strategy and play the game out more.

‣ Decay is also preventing worker kit from being used really, by the time they gather their blocks decay has already caught up with them.

‣ Decay is forcing players to really just pvp it out without using their kits properly, such as worker (Mentioned above) But also archer as the kit should be used out-through the span of the game. Instead, decay pushes them to use their swords instead of their bows.

Credit of idea thread: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/micro-battles-corruption.80999/#post-280225
    Starter of thread: @little_dude_9000

Thanks for reading! Let me know your opinions on the topic down below :)

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  2. Hey there!

I’ve actually had this thought recently too. The decay rate has definitely sped up, and as someone who uses the worker kit I can sympathize with you. I think this would be a good update if we decrease it just a little and would help the natural flow of the game a bit.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  3. Heya!

Yea, from the times I have played Micro battles which is normally a decent amount, it's absolutely gotten way faster than it was back in 2014/2015 when I first started playing Mineplex. I think that it should slow down at least a little bit, this would be due to the fact to just let the players of the game be able to enjoy the game a little bit more, it would probably help the games last longer as well!

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  4. I agree 100% with this post. The decay rate is definitely too fast and needs to be changed.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  5. Using bedrock as an example, which has a more 2014/2015 type Micro Battles version, when I transitioned to Java, I did notice that it was incredibly fast and as a worker kit user myself, it wasn't possible for me to actually win without burrowing near the middle, making it obvious where I was. On bedrock, the islands don't decay, they fall like on Skywars, although the blocks don't fall they just disappear which resolved the lag problem.

Either the kits for Micro Battles need to be rethought, or the decay just needs to be reverted back to world falling. I know it caused lag, but instead of them just falling like sand, why do you have to put a transition on it, nobody actually watches the blocks fall? And then at the same time, you could decrease the time taken. This should theoretically bring the strategy back for kits that aren't particularly made for melee combat, like you mentioned: Archer and Worker.

Whilst I agree the standalone games decay should be removed, I don't think the same for the NANO version. The NANO version doesn't have kits (I may be wrong) and you all just start as one kit. NANO games are meant to be quite quick, so maybe, in this case, the speed and workings of the world decay could stay, as you don't want people hiding for the entire game making a NANO game last forever. I think this is a good idea!

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  6. Hello hello!

I am actually a fan of how the decay in MB works, and I find that it is nice in making the games short but still fun; however, I totally see where you are coming from.

As I stated above, I like the rate at which it comes in. The purpose of it being super fast is to allow the games to be short and sweet, not turn into something like Bridges. It is not too fast, though, in my opinion, since the games can be longer if people just chose to hide, and this helps to prevent that.

I somewhat agree with this statement. When I play Worker, I sometimes find that I can hardly use my blocks since I need to fight as the nether-rack has started to show up right next to me. There are also the other games where they are so slow with nobody fighting that I use all of my blocks and nothing really happens, and I find these to be quite boring since not much is going on, but thanks to the fast border, I know it'll be over soon enough.

I don't necessarily agree nor disagree with this statement. Yes, there are times when archer might hardly be used since people are just PvPing instead of some climbing up high and others hiding out, but I think that that is also part of the game: taking the risk to see if your chosen kit will be the most effective that round since it can totally differ depending on who is playing.

Overall, I see where you are coming from, and you do bring up some strong points that I agree with; however, I personally feel that it is fine where it is right now and does not really need a change at this very moment.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  7. Totally, 100% agree with this. The idea of decay is good, as it reduces the lag that falling blocks gave previously, but the speed of decay has been accelerated waaaay too much. Prior to the update, archers could go on buildings, workers could make traps or tunnels, and overall gameplay was just way more strategic. Nowadays, it's literally just a pvp mosh pit, with whatever team who doesn't get rushed getting the win because they can just easy clean. Fighter's advantage has skyrocketed, and while archer is still somewhat viable, it and worker are not on equal footing at all anymore with fighter.
    Worker isn't fun to play anymore because you really can't utilize it's abilities due to how fast the decay is. Archers are being pushed to be front line fighters which really isn't good for a ranged class, and fighter kits are just dominating gameplay. And now nobody can escape cleans because there's nowhere to run.

Would also like to add to those who say "it's a mixed game, it's meant to be fast"- Micro battles was never slow. Even with the campiest of campers the game never really exceeded 10ish minutes. The game time before was never an issue.

Overall, with the speed increased so much, fighter has too much of an advantage and the game is no longer fun to play- it's just a repeat of 4 fighters rushing the island to their left every single time now. The decay itself is fine, but the speed most definitely is not.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    Thenorn and Xukuri like this.
  8. I don't think Corruption is as much of an issue as you make it seem.

I don't see how Corruption takes away any of the strategy aspect to Micro Battles and I'd even go as far as to say that Corruption introduces a whole new strategy that was absent from the game before.

In addition, I still believe that the kits are still in the same position balance wise as they were when Map Crumble was around. Archer is still the strongest kit, doing 3 hearts per arrow while being able to hold a max of 3 arrows. If an Archer shoots a Fighter before engaging them, the Archer should always win assuming they trade hits and get the same amount of crits. By hitting one of 3 arrows on a fighter before engaging them, you have already won the fight. I don't see how Corruption has affected Archer any different than Map Crumble did other than you not being able to shoot people off of the map as easily, which, in my opinion, made the game less fun. A lot of people here are saying that Worker is in a worse place than it was before Map Crumble, however I believe the exact opposite. Corruption has buffed Worker. Generally, whoever has more blocks wins Corruption. You can avoid taking damage from Corruption by sprint jumping and placing blocks under you. When you place blocks in Corruption, it takes a split second for them to turn into netherrack and in that split second you are able to land on the block and not take damage. Previously, I don't think Worker had much of a chance at winning with predictable traps and stalling out the game by camping but now I think Worker is much more viable.

Corruption and Map Crumble both were used to make sure the game doesn't take an excessively long time to finish. I believe that Corruption does a better job preventing game stalling because Corruption affects blocks higher or lower than the base limit first. Speaking of stalling out the game, in Micro Battles lobbies with 3 or more parties that know what they're doing it's often a game of Corruption. Everyone knows that whoever rushes or gets rushed will lose, and it just turns into a waiting game in which both teams try to gather blocks to avoid Corruption. Games like these make me sure of the fact that Corruption is in no way too fast.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    khosh likes this.
  9. Replies in bold

Posted Nov 8, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 8, 2019
  10. The problem with your responses to aezl is that they could possibly be correct in theory, but what matters is if they're actually true in practice. If you ask literally anybody who plays MB consistently (I play it every day), the comments you're making about camping on the roof with archer not being viable just isn't true. Skilled players do fine with this strategy (given it's a team of people.. solo camping on the roof is inherently harder to win), plus the fundamental part of the strategy (shooting from the roof, until you're eventually forced to go to the ground as the game progresses) hasn't changed (whether it's corruption or the world crumbling). I don't see how you can say trapping has changed either, because you are free to trap people until either the world crumbling or corruption hits regardless of what it is. Trapping has just become so uncommon because everybody knows about it and won't fall for it. Worker kit is incredibly useful for camping on towers that have wood and other types of blocks that you couldn't break with archer kit, and using that to skybase (which isn't new) and to run around and place blocks in corruption (which they have more of and have an advantage).

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    khosh likes this.
  11. None of the strategies you mentioned are any less viable than they used to be.

Archers are still able to camp on roofs and have plenty of time to do so. I find that in the many games I have played it is rare that Corruption even reaches their towers by the time the game is over. In fact, I think that Archers are able to camp longer than they had previously where they ran the risk of being hit into the void behind them because of Map Crumble.

Workers are still able to "hit and run" and dare I say, that strategy is even more viable than it was before due to their ability to run into Corruption and take comparatively less damage due to their efficiency in gathering blocks. While trapping may be less viable than it was before, it is very much arguable that trapping was hardly viable previously. By digging underground or into your base you are leaving your team at the risk of fighting another team with one less player.

I'm not sure I understand your point about Archers having to melee? Corruption doesn't effect your ability to shoot people and yes, Archers at some point will have to melee the opposing teams. Slowing down or speeding up Corruption won't change this. The purpose of my point about Archers being able to beat Fighters in a one on one was to point out that if Archers are used to their full extent during a team fight, or any fight for that matter, they are more effective than Fighters which you seem to believe are the best kit.

Not sure how Worker kit getting a new win condition by "cheesing decay" is useless or how whether or not the strategy is fun is relevant. You are still able to "hit and run", however I agree you can no longer hide to the extent you could previously. But, this doesn't mean hiding is obsolete or not viable, it just isn't as viable as it was before.

Corruption doesn't ruin "non-team rush playstyles". There is plenty of time in the game to camp on a tower or go underground, Corruption just makes it so that you aren't using these strategies to the point where it stalls out the game.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    khosh likes this.
  12. Again, I disagree. You say that archers are still doing just fine by roof camping but from what I see when I play that's not true: I hardly even see people doing it post decay because it's so fast that it's just pointless, and when they do they get forced down from the rot into the clutches of the rushing team, who previously would have had to come up to them unless they were willing to wait for the corruption, which was rare.

I say trapping has been gotten rid of as well not because you can't do it, but because trapping and/or base camping takes some time to set up, but with this speed it's just not plausible. My personal example is that one of my favorite strategies was to dig into my base one block deep and hit people's feet, but that only works for like less than a minute because the decay forces you out so quick.
    Replies in bold again.

The thing the bugs me the most is because defensive or as people seem to call them "game stalling" strategies have been made non-viable, It is practically impossible to win without being in a party. As a solo player, picking off from the roof or forcing enemies to fight me in my base gave me a fighting chance against enemy parties. But now that decay forces everyone into close quarters so quickly, if my team doesn't happen to be decent pvpers then I just end up getting ganked.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  13. This will be my last response.

Corruption is no different than Map Crumble. Everything you have said is applicable to pre-Corruption gameplay.

Parties have always been superior to solos, Worker will always be the worst and least picked kit due to its disadvantage in pvp, and people have always been and are still able to camp/hide/trap.

No strategies have changed due to there being red blocks instead of void.

Worker strategies are just as impractical as they've always been (with the exception of Corruption play which can win you games as a solo) in comparison to playing the Micro Battles game with and around your team.

Archers perform just as well as they always have and changing the speed of Corruption won't change that.

I've played 7,000 games of Micro Battle in the last year and have over 6,000 wins in the game. It is clear to me that some people still camp and win by doing so, some people still trap and win by doing so, and teams of archers that are just as competent and coordinated as the opposing team are definitely not getting "rolled by rushing fighters".

Posted Nov 9, 2019
  14. I personally agree, the decay really made me lose interest in the game. It made archers seem less likely to build up, and workers not being used anymore. So +1 from me markus, didnt expect you to be active on the forums?
    --- Post updated ---
    Corruption and the falling blocks were totally different speeds my guy, smaller mb maps really dont have enough time to do stuff but rush and rushing isnt what microbattles is all about

Posted Nov 9, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  15. I agree with decreasing decay speed. On top of all the kit issues people have mentioned, it feels as if almost every game comes down to which team can survive the longest when the entire map is corrupted, either by jumping and placing blocks or building up in the centre. Very few games seem to end in a fight or outplay - the safest way to win in my opinion is to just get enough blocks and then stall out the corruption damage with them. Not exactly the most fun gameplay, is it?

Posted Nov 9, 2019
    Im_Ken, SpitefulNick and saltyfishhy like this.
  16. You say this is your last response but I might as well rebuttal. Replies in bold.

Posted Nov 9, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 9, 2019
    Xukuri likes this.
  17. I agree with the point of decreasing corruption/decay rate. Even though Micro Battles was created to be one of the faster paced PvP games on the server, it should allow for both attacking and defending strategies, rewarding both the best rushers and the best "campers" just like it is in e.g. Cake Wars. I have only spectated a few games of MB in the last month or two, but from what I've seen, corruption reaches the towers really quickly and doesn't allow the traditional roof positioning for Archers, as well as greatly limits the possibilities of Worker.

With the island shrinking at previous rates, the game would once again depend on the towers as well, giving the teams who work as a team an advantage over unorganized rushing attempts. The Worker kit will always remain the underpowered one, but could still be very useful in proper teamwork or to stall the game for another minute or two (which is a valid strategy, seeing as it doesn't last for too long anyway).

Someone mentioned the valid point of not turning the game into Bridges, but MB is significantly different than BR since rushing can take place not 10 minutes, but 10 seconds into the game, which tends to eliminate a large portion of players within the first minute either way. I definitely wouldn't like waiting too long for teammates to finish the game, but the quality of the game should not be sacrificed in the process.

Alternatively, the decay rate can happen exponentionally, or at different rates as the game progresses, so that no game lasts more than 10 minutes - preferably less than that - but allows various strategies at the beginning of the game.

Posted Nov 10, 2019