• 423 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8861 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Matchmaking, Ranked Mode, or Solo Mode for Cake Wars

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by DeathMach5, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently, I started to shift from Micro Battles to Cake Wars because I find it more fun to play. The problem is a majority of the times, I'm either stuck as the only person as my team in a duo game, or in a normal game I have teammates who are absolute trash compared to me, and I'm not even that good. In my last match I was forced to 3v1 because my teammates were in the shop buying stuff as our cake was being eaten. Another problem I often face is teammates who destroy all the blocks protecting our cake or teammates who camp the gens and do nothing but die. That is why I would like to beg your developers to please add matchmaking or straight up solo mode.

I would like to hear the opinions of fellow players on this topic

This was my last match

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  2. Keep in mind I'm talking about java here since I don't play bedrock. I think it would only be good if mineplex gets more popular. There are currently 2 modes and having 3-4 modes might make games take forever to fill up even if it's one of the most popular games on mineplex. Maybe it could wait until mineplex can get an average of 5000 players which hopefully should be soon because I have been noticing an increase in player counts recently and it's now peaked at 3.5-4k compared to less than 3k before. It would be good for bedrock rn since it's way more popular but not java yet.

Posted Aug 19, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 19, 2019
  3. I think solo was denied due to the possibility of it dividing up the community when adding more servers. How would match-making work?
    I think a good way to combat the issue is to play with a group of friends. This way, you'll have teammates who'll be willing to take the games seriously. However, maybe a matchmaking system would be cool but I'm not sure how it would work.
    I'll remain neutral for this idea, but thanks for sharing!

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  4. Heyo!
    Starting off, there has been plenty of threads about solo modes in cake wars, and all have been denied due to what was said above. There has also been a couple of threads about ranked cake wars, but here is my issue with it.

As a squads Java Cake Wars player, I don't see ranked cake wars ever happening. I can't imagine how this would work, such as would it be based off wins, playtime, etc. There would also be the issue where low ranked games would have all of the hackers. At the start, games will not fill up for higher rank players. Later on down the road, the low ranked games wouldn't full up.

Overall, I don't fully support these ideas. While it would be cool for a solos game mode, this probably will not happen anytime soon in the future. I also see a lot of issues with ranked cake wars, so both ideas are going to be a -1 from me. I hope I helped!

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  5. Howdy,

As Bunni said above, the idea of a "Solo" Cake Wars mode has been suggested multiple times in the past and ended up being denied by Production due to the possibility of the game mode driving the community away from each other.

As for a matchmaking system which would group stronger and more experienced players (based on stats I assume) against one another, I think this could prove impracticable. Although Cake Wars is Mineplex's most popular game, I don't think we will have enough players of the same or similar skill level to fill up these games. For example, players who are on the Cake Wars leaderboards may have a tougher time getting into matches as players of the same or similar skill level are not online. Also, I believe a separate ranked mode for Cake Wars would have a similar effect. Currently, there are two different modes for Cake Wars - CW2 (2 people per team) and CW4 (4 people per team). Although Mineplex still has a large player base, you can notice that Cake Wars Duos does not fill games as efficiently as Cake Wars Standard due to it not being as popular. Adding another variation of Cake Wars would only spread out that player base more and increase wait times.

At the end of the day, people want to play with there friends. From what I see, partying up and spending time with friends is what the majority of the players want, regardless of skill level. I, unfortunately, do not see a matchmaking system or ranked system making a positive impact on Cake Wars.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
    nolawn likes this.
  6. I understand your frustration but I don't think it would be good adding another mode in cakewars and separating the community more. Solo mode was denied due to this reason. I'm sure if we had more players, it would possibly be a thing. As for ranked mode, I don't think many players would be too fond of this idea. Most cakewar players are casual players, and this would only benefit the players who are competitive.

As stated above, it would be good to play with a party to avoid these issues but of course, this isn't a total solution considering you won't always have friends to play with. Maybe something in the future could potentially eliminate these issues from happening I hope.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  7. To address your suggestion for a Solo Mode for Cake Wars, it's been discussed a numerous amount of times on the forums and other platforms and unfortunately has been denied by Leadership Team. Adding another gamemode to Cake Wars would potentially split up the community and would prevent lobbies from filling up as frequently. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to a Solo Mode for Cake Wars but as of right now, I don't see it being realistic or beneficial to us at the moment. I understand where you're coming from and others as well but this gamemode could become a possibility in the future. Coming from personal experience, I say that even though you might not be as great as other players, it's better and easier to practice and improve by fighting players better than you. Doing so will help you get better faster and will give you a greater experience on how to improve and get better in terms of PvP. Also participating in both Duos and Standard CW will give you more of an idea on how to work together with your teammates, rather than being in a Solo mode by yourself. Personally, playing with my friends is more fun than being by myself.

As for the Ranked gamemode for Cake Wars, there are other reasons we simply cannot implement it at the moment. For one, it's similar to other reasons why we try not to implement or add more gamemodes to existing games and that's because it will split up the playerbase. But, even if we had a substantial amount of players to fill up games, an ELO or Ranked gamemode for Cake Wars wouldn't work out as well. @hazeae24 has addressed this in another thread before and it's due to the fact that adding a ranked gamemode would be a bit too complicated to code and would prevent us from using resources to work on other priorities. I'll leave a spoiler of her full response regarding the suggestion but at this time Mineplex does not plan on introducing another ELO or ranked system for Cake Wars.

~Thread Locked - Not Planned
    Msg me if you have any questions or concerns.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
    hazeae24 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.