• 1322 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6193 Players Online
  • 4871 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Marketing Campaign

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by zlxr (Suspici0us), May 20, 2020.

1. Obviously Mineplex has suffered a great deal in its playerbase these past couple years. I know the community is enthusiastic about reviving the playerbase, but if the server wants to commit to managing a large(er) Network again, it’s time to discuss allocating marketing resources to regain players, and most importantly, to entice newcomers. Some recent threads brought my attention to an issue that partially explains the stagnant flow of players we’ve been experiencing lately: that new generations of players are not flowing in like they used to. The current community is mostly comprised of loyal players that have been around for awhile. This is apparent in both the high average player level around the network, as well as the ratio of ranked players to non-ranked players. The community is aging, and as old players move on, new players do not fill their place. You can attribute this to players avoiding Mineplex because of various issues left largely unattended for the past couple years (like the anticheat and game decisions), and while this is partly true, I would argue that the missing of influx in players is mainly due to the fact that as the server loses popularity, Mineplex consequently becomes lesser known and further buried under Hypixel’s monopoly and the heap of factions/skyblock servers that dominate the rest of multiplayer (many of these servers maintain just as many online players as Mineplex on average). Returning to the point of the thread, this is why Mineplex needs to consider a marketing campaign. YouTube partnerships, website advertisements, and sponsorships are just some of the ways to accomplish this, but there are countless options for spreading the word. While marketing may not have been necessary in the past when Mineplex was the largest network out there, the argument that marketing is pointless because everyone knows about Mineplex is irrelevant now. Especially on Java, the fact is that players that are new to Minecraft and are discovering servers for the first time don’t know about Mineplex, it’s simply not a big name to new players anymore. Mineplex’s partnership with Microsoft may be sufficient for reaching out to bedrock players, but Java lacks that resource. To illustrate my point, Bedrock has 3x more online players than Java on average. This is largely due to more people knowing about it, hence why marketing could work wonders for Java, and the network as a whole. Mineplex simply needs to get its name out there again. Once we accomplish a stable influx of players, Mineplex can progress to restoring games, developers, and be better suited for dealing with issues. Marketing is a necessary investment that can be restored by rank purchases from the new players it draws in, with the added bonus of a larger player base and everything that follows

Posted May 20, 2020,
    Last edited May 20, 2020
    LazyBrayden likes this.
  2. Hi Susp, nice to see you on the network again.

So, you don't discuss an actual marketing plan and its implementation in this thread, which is almost entirely fluff. We all know what goes on. Mineplex quite literally disregards the "2018 Recap" YouTube video on the main Forums page. YouTube content hasn't been produced in a very long time. This is Mineplex's standard in 2020.

Your thread's only mention of actual ideas are as follows:
    "...this is why Mineplex needs to consider a marketing campaign. YouTube partnerships, website advertisements, and sponsorships are just some of the ways to accomplish this..."

If they could do these things, they hopefully would... but it requires non-existent steady cash flow.

Mineplex can't compete against the other large network you mentioned, I don't know where to even begin with that, but it's not happening.

Last thing I'll say is this.
    The network doesn't peak at 30,000+ players on their server at once... but what a lot of people constantly neglect is that even reaching 10,000 is a great accomplishment. There are thousands of servers... 100 is A LOT for some people. Many of us grew up expecting to see tens of thousands of players online everyday. I don't think that'll ever happen again, but the server's doing pretty okay by number standards 7+ years later.

Posted May 20, 2020
  3. Nice you see you too Banksy, long time no see!

I didn’t intend to provide a plan, I’d leave that to Mineplex to decide what’s most effective for them. I was more pointing out reasons why marketing would prove beneficial. I understand that even a few thousand players is impressive, but Mineplex was once renowned for being the #1 network, so for many players’ standards the current playerbase is quite the plummet. For a time, Mineplex was above Hypixel, and as Mineplex’s rival, Hypixel has maintained their numbers and blown past Mineplex despite existing nearly just as long, so it’s very possible for large networks to maintain numbers over the years. I wouldn’t say the turn in Mineplex’s playerbase was a natural one. And like I said in the thread, this would be an investment that would pay off over time. I know the budget right now isn’t ideal, but the longer Mineplex stays stagnant like this, the harder it will be to pull off a comeback. Something has to be done, things won’t improve on their own, so the sooner the investment is made, the better.

For the record I think it’s perfectly okay for the network to function as is, as a smaller server, and in Mineplex’s situation it’s a lot easier to manage this way, but for some people it reflects negatively on the server for them when they see the fall of the playerbase. All I’m saying is if Mineplex wants to climb back up the ranks, a marketing plan is a good place to start. It’s also entirely possible that numbers will continue to fall off, and I don’t think Mineplex should fall any lower than its current position.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 21, 2020,
    Last edited May 21, 2020
    christxqn likes this.
  4. Mineplex has a very stable cash flow through the use of the Immortal Rank being implemented. Its low price but monthly fee makes players believe it is a good option and it has kept Mineplex steady for a bit recently. Mineplex also makes a lot of revenue from its Bedrock server. Nonetheless, I do believe the Media Team is actually beginning on doing activities and posting new content on its youtube channel, etc.

For @zlxr (Suspici0us), I wish to see more ways Mineplex can help spread its wings and bring newcomers, as everyone has stated what you have said in your post. I also believe that the only thing Mineplex needs to do to make new players come is to be more open and acknowledge their problems and start hiring developers. Hypixel stayed around because not only of the flow of cash the server produces, but the active developers, admins, and owner. I am not saying Mineplex's admins aren't active, but Hypixel increasingly shows its increase of players because of its compassion to try new things and its constant development.

Posted May 21, 2020
    christxqn likes this.
  5. This was actually done in the past, kind-of.
    I am not sure what the duties of social media members are now, especially with a few different admins since I have been on the team, but SM members used to be required to do marketing/idea proposal write ups each month.
    Honestly, if this isn't done anymore, it should be brought back. It's needed.

Posted May 21, 2020
    Dudeguy and christxqn like this.
  6. u 100% right. an effective marketin campaign would most likely revive mineplex to a lvl similar if not da same as befo. I think da most effective method would be thru yt partnerships, as we've seen captainsparklez n such bring huge amounts ah players to da server. dat bein said, a new, fun game combined wit larger exposure thru yt n otha avenues would prolly be da best way to bring ppl in. I think iss time fo mineplex to foget ab tryna play it safe n rly risk it to increase iss popularity once n fo all.

Posted May 21, 2020
  7. I agree. If Mineplex wants to return to the "glory days" when there was 20-30k people on at peak times, something has to change. But before they begin to market themselves, they need to work on issues. For example, Mineplex has been known for its anti cheat not being the best. I understand that no anti cheat is perfect, but it is a known sour point among the multiplayer server community on Minecraft Java. In addition, a lot of people in the community have asked for certain things to be implemented, and these ideas have had large amounts of support. These can be bring back Castle Seige, add Skyblock, Cake Wars Solo, and more. Once Mineplex is able to address these internal issues, I agree that it would be very beneficial to begin a marketing campaign, as it is needed.

Posted May 21, 2020

8. I served on SM until July of last year, and I can confidently say that at the time everyone on SM was required to write marketing write ups. I don't know how SM functions now, especially since the team has a different admin, but I would definitely agree that the marketing duties we performed on SM are integral to the server's growth.

Posted May 21, 2020
    Emiliee likes this.
  9. Hey!

I really like Mineplex, and I know this is the issue. I think this is a great way to put it. Personally, and I'm sure many other people can elaborate, I found Mineplex because of a Youtube video. I think now times have definitely changed, and if Mineplex wants to recover their player base this is the time to do it. Everybody is at home, bored, and have nothing to do but look at their social media or do something similar to that. Now a Youtube video with no fresh content is not going to attract new players, and this is where new games come in. If Mineplex can grow its content creators by implementing a new game and maybe paying YouTubers to make a video on the server, this could attract tons of players, and this can attract more content creators on top of that. I know, this would take some work but I have seen tons of good game suggestions in the idea discussion that I think has a lot of potential in welcoming new players, and content creators. Overall, I think its time that Mineplex uses this quarantine to there advantage to attract new players. And guess what schools out for another 3 months, which if Mineplex can get this going now this could really increase the player count.

Posted May 21, 2020
    zlxr (Suspici0us) likes this.
  10. First off, please use paragraphs when writing long posts.
    Secondly, A good way to help the server a lot by doing a small thing would be to move the Jobs link up to the top of the page. For a while, I wasn't even aware that the jobs link (the way mineplex gets new devs) existed. It's currently at the bottom of the page in little white font. A good place for it to be moved to would be to the right of the little profile icon. This could help more people looking for a dev job to work here.

Posted May 21, 2020
  11. I think it's easy enough to find and the majority of players wouldn't benefit from having it moved anyways, nonetheless I don't think Mineplex is actively hiring Devs right now, but once they accumulate the budget and qualified applicants to do so (ideally through advertising), they could look to touch up the dev department.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 22, 2020
  12. Only the high ups know where mineplex is at in terms of money, but the current state of the server proves that we need more devs.

Posted May 22, 2020
  13. Hey!
    I agree with this 100%. I remember when I started playing, Mineplex was the biggest server around and you never had issues getting a game or having games removed. I really don't know why the server has become so small but I think a marketing campaign could revive the old Mineplex. I personally think a lot of players forgot about the server so if they were to see it's still up and running, maybe they would come back. As well as new players to the gaming world, if they were to see some form of advertisement they would probably check it out. I think the biggest way to market Mineplex is to have more YouTubers. I know that most of the next generation is always watching minecraft YouTube videos and if their favorite YouTuber plays it, then they will. When I started playing, it was because my friends introduced me to it however, then I started seeing the famous game "draw my thing" being played by multiple of my favorite youtubers which made me wanna try it too! I really hope that Mineplex comes up with a way to advertise the server because I defiantly miss it being a huge gaming server with getting games quickly and possibly adding the old games back! I also think that they should advertise that they are hiring developer's more like @LordOfTeeth has mentioned because that would make the server better as well.

Posted May 22, 2020
  14. I think Mineplex needs to try to get some of its older Youtubers back, some new ones, and some Hypixel ones. I know it might sound crazy to have Hypixel Youtubers play on Mineplex, but most of them started there. It would definitely bring more players. Reviving the Youtube Channel would also help a lot.

EDIT:
    Maybe if Mineplex decided to add some old games, and hype it up a lot. (Maybe a live countdown.) You could easily see 10,000+ players on Java. This would catch the attention of a lot of Youtubers.

Posted May 22, 2020