• 1397 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6965 Players Online
  • 5568 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mapas Update

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by Hillly, Apr 25, 2020.

?

Thoughts of Welcome to the Jungle

1. Too much/Not enough Cover (I'll explain in reply)

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Too much/Not Enough Terrain Variation (I'll explain in reply)

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. I hate that there is no void

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. I love there is no void

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  5. Perfect amount of Cover

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  6. Perfect amount of terrain variation

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. I like the Aesthictics

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  8. I don't like the Aesthetics (I'll explain in reply)

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Oriental Gardens isn't necessarily a new map but it did have some big changes with the cave underneath the map so I would like to hear some general thoughts about that map.

Welcome to the Jungle is a completely new map and this is the main talking point of this thread. I would like to know your thoughts on how the gameplay is and your overall thoughts about the map. Complaints and feedback have been given but in very small numbers not really giving an oversight of how the community feels about the map as a whole so don't refrain from giving your honest opinions of the map, I can take it :)

Posted Apr 25, 2020
    Xukuwu and HushMyChild like this.
  2. Here's some Welcome to the Jungle criticism:

Not enough cover:
    The only cover in this map really is the few animals and the skinny trees. Ranged kits absolutely dominate on this map and there is little to no counter to them. If this map had separate islands and more height variation, some of this problem would likely be naturally fixed.

Not enough height variation:
    This map is extremely flat. The lowest point of the map on the ground is y 52 and the highest point of the map on the ground is y 57. Most of the islands simply are 1-2 blocks elevated above the river throughout the entire map. The only high points on the map are the trees, which is an unfair way to give height variation to a map as it is much harder to reach a high tree compared to high terrain. The lack of height variation also makes it extremely easy for spiders/wolfs to glide around the map and be untouchable.

Also, another terrain issue not really necessarily related to height variation is the waterfalls; they hang down extremely low from the map and can be heavily abused by spider players. In addition, there is barriers on the sides of the waterfalls that have air on them which is confusing as a player will attempt to stand there just to fall off.

I hate that there is no void:
    This is easily the worst problem of the map. An enormous part of SSM and the SSM meta is the void. The void gives the opportunity to kill your opponent in more ways and allow for more intricate gameplay as elements such as edgeguarding are implemented into gameplay. This map defies this vital aspect of SSM though; as all the areas where void would usually be, there is a river instead. This buffs kits with weak recoveries by a lot as they rarely have to worry about recovering anymore. Overall, the lack of void is poor for gameplay as it makes it extremely boring and making voiding absolutely nonviable.

I don't like the aesthetics:
    This map has very poor aesthetics consistently throughout the map. The grass looks dull and boring as the green wool doesn't add intricate detail and the grass is only one color, not utilizing the mixing of biomes to create more interesting grass colors most modern maps use. The animals on the map are hard to recognize as animals, as I'm still unsure what the brown animal near by the parrot (?) is. The map also heavily abuses the fog effect created by stained glass throughout all of the water, which becomes repetitive and dull quickly. In addition, the fog effect only seems to use cyan and light blue glass, which barely have any color difference to them.

Posted Apr 25, 2020
    Kenshin_William likes this.
  3. this map is just not a suitable map for ssm.

Posted Apr 25, 2020
  4. Care to elaborate on anything or are you just going to give that opinion?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 26, 2020
    JAKE/gayblackguyy likes this.
  5. I don’t care about anything specific and I only played the map once but I enjoyed it

Posted Apr 26, 2020
  6. Oriental Gardens thoughts:

The map is still a little frustrating to play on. Kits still hop up and down either through the void or hole in the mountain which is always annoying to chase after. Other than that, I don't really care for the map.

Welcome To The Jungle thoughts:

Holes

The first glaring feature of this map to me was the lack of holes, but after playing some games, I've grown to like it. I've had to worry less about accidentally jumping into a hole which has led to more engaged battles compared to other maps where you have to worry about getting blasted by a player into one (which is almost always by accident on their part).

Coverage
    I also see some criticism on the lack of coverage on the map, but I found there to be ample amounts. With the rocks in the middle to the trees and animals on the sides, I had plenty of places to take cover and close the distance between spammers.

Flatness
    The map's flatness does give wolfs and spiders a lot more mobility but there's a good amount of buildings to corner them (which still doesn't work if they're really stubborn). Cornering them still takes a lot of time and is just working around a problem but it's not like this is the only map that suffers from this.

Aesthetics
    I can see a lot of effort put into the animals (which look amazing) and the jungly features surrounding them. The only problem I have with the map is the river. Where the river is smaller, it looks great, but in spots where it meets in giant clumps (Starting from the middle and up the north east leg) the fog effect becomes overwhelming and makes those spots a big blur of light blue. Potential solutions could be another animal popping out (such as a crocodile) or just adding more color variation throughout the river. Overall though, the map is aesthetically pleasing.

Those are my initial thoughts and feedback on the map!

Posted Apr 26, 2020,
    Last edited Apr 26, 2020
  7. The map needs more cover to be honest. There were several games where creepers and squids ran and just spammed ink/sulpher.

Posted Apr 26, 2020
  8. Could you tell me any specific locations

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 26, 2020
  9. The middle of the map with the blue stained glass. There was also a corner of the map that didn’t have as much cover as the rest.

Posted Apr 27, 2020
    HushMyChild likes this.
  10. If you mean the corner where it's raised up, then that's because it's above everything else so that area is fully covered from most other locations and the log is good as cover too, I don't know which other corner you'd be talking about.

Posted Apr 27, 2020
  11. BIG EATS

Posted Apr 28, 2020
  12. My only criticism of the map is the lack of holes.

Posted May 1, 2020
  13. It has no islands, and its flat. You cant knock people off easily

Posted May 11, 2020
  14. I like it.

Posted May 13, 2020