• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6114 Players Online
  • 3224 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Making Minestrike more PC

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by pwnguy, Jul 28, 2020.

1. While I have enjoyed playing Minestrike for several years, I have a concern about the portrayal of the terrorist group as Middle Easterners (implied to be Islamists), and reinforcing harmful stereotypes (due to audio clips taken from Counter-Strike).

Isn't it somewhat hypocritical for Mineplex to have rules about discriminating against different ethnic or religious groups and protecting them when the "bombers," the "villains" of Minestrike are terrorists portrayed as distinctly Middle Eastern, with accents? And it seems like a huge double standard that Mineplex block comments about Islamists blowing things up, when they literally have a game where they plant bombs and kill people. Additionally, the "SWAT" team has American accents, differentiating the two sides and making their role as the defusers the "good guys."

I was wondering if there was any way we could make the game more inclusive and neutral to avoid any double standards, like getting rid of the dialogue and making it chat call-outs instead? Is there any way that people in charge of the games could update Minestrike to more modern standards rather than normalizing these stereotypes?

Posted Jul 28, 2020
  2. Why'd you delete the original post?

Anyway, they're basically the exact same voice lines you'd hear in CS:GO, which Minestrike is based off of (please don't sue us Valve). While I'm not necessarily opposed to changing the voice lines themselves a bit, audio cues are valuable for gameplay and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Posted Jul 28, 2020
  3. Personally, I believe you raise a very valid point. Mineplex has been a family-friendly server for as long as I can remember, with rules against things such as racism and stereotyping. There are definitely ways to make it more neutral, with ways of making it not seem against any religion or race. Of course, there isn’t going to be a way to make a game based on shooting purely PC. However, I believe that an update to this would fit well with current events, as there are many protests and movements to end racism and other types of stereotyping.

Just because CS:GO has it doesn’t make it 100% correct to have. However I do agree that audio clips are a great part of the game and that they shouldn’t be removed. An alternate solution, as the OP said, would be putting them into the chat. A potential way of getting both of these, would be adding them to preferences, whether you want to have the audio or not. If you have them on, it would almost be like subtitles for the audio clips.

Posted Jul 28, 2020
    pwnguy and Bobtroopo like this.
  4. Wasn't implying that it did, merely stating the reason why the voice lines sound the way they do.

Some of the voice lines are already in chat or show up onscreen, some are somewhat superfluous, others wouldn't work super well for chat only. Could discuss making it a game option in the /prefs menu, but I seriously doubt that anything would happen on that front in the near future as that would be pretty low on the list of priorities for developer time.

I believe the voice lines are entirely dependent on the resource pack you use, so you could potentially edit the sounds for yourself to be whatever you wanted if you found this to be a pressing issue for you personally, although that is a considerable amount of work.

Posted Jul 29, 2020
  5. Original post was duplicated accidentally so I took it down.

I understand that reworking the game will take a lot of time, but based on Mineplex's own rules and today's social climate, I think it would be worth it to make corrections to ensure that no ethnic groups are being portrayed negatively (if this really is a server for children).

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 29, 2020