• 619 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8649 Players Online
  • 8030 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Making Minestrike More Inclusive

Discussion in 'Mine-Strike' started by pwnguy, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's a video game. Many games have 'real accents' which can also portray stereotypes. I don't hear anyone complaining about this because it's a really petty thing to complain about.

Posted Jul 30, 2020
  2. You do understand that I am Professor Reg and that I've been playing Minestrike since day 1 so that's why I have my "6 year Minestrike veteran" thing. Minestrike is coming up on its 6 year anniversary so you saying "6 year 10 month minestrike veteran" you are obviously capping hard LOL

Posted Jul 30, 2020
    Gardening_Tool and okDamien like this.
  3. yeah if it offends you maybe just not play it?

Posted Aug 3, 2020
    Gardening_Tool likes this.
  4. "Making the game more inclusive"

ironic lol

Posted Sep 6, 2020
    Gardening_Tool and xOeuf like this.
  5. Yes, it is ironic that a game that portrays terrorists with Middle Eastern accents has any rules about discrimination when they actively purvey these stereotypes.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 7, 2020
  6. As an actual religious middle-eastern (Iranian), I'd strongly disagree.

Middle eastern accent DOES NOT equate the person to being a jihadist (religious warrior)/person of Islamic belief.

Yes, there is the distinction of arab/iranian extremists being stereotyped as terrorists within games like CS:GO (which, mind you, have similar rule-sets to Mineplex yet still portray the terrorist teams as middle-eastern), but a decisive account of the players' religious beliefs are not (and have never been) made clear to us. The assumption, therefore, that these forces are jihadists (religious warriors), is not warranted. They are simply middle-eastern.
    You are playing as a middle eastern, not someone of islamic descent. Given that the game is mainly set to be an american police-force neutralizing an opposing terrorist team, the terrorists must (to some extent) naturally be of non-american descent.

Now, let's analyze the actual stereotype: we could, of course, use Russian, Chinese, or North Korean enemies in MineStrike, given their political standing with the United States.
    As a baseline statistic, the greatest threats to US homeland security are currently Russia, Iran, the Middle-East [including Af-Pak], China, and the DPRK, given their behavior towards the United States. "Behavior" denotes their willingness to counteract requests given by the United States, as well as their reactions towards actions taken to enforce measures in circumventing said threats.

[​IMG]

(Info from heritage.org & statista.com)

Notice how three of the six listed forces are middle-eastern. The middle east holds a majority opposition in terms of threat, not only as a general location, but between select countries such as Iran or Afghanistan.
    Now, I will note that a broad array of terrorist groups remain the most hostile of any of the threats to America examined in the Index. As of mid-2018, the Islamic State had been decimated, having lost more than 98 percent of previously held territory, and its further reduction continued in 2019. However, it has not been completely eliminated and has made efforts to reassert itself in the region. Fortunately, Middle East terrorist groups are the least capable of the threats facing the U.S.

Yet this brings us to the game itself. Why use middle eastern terrorists when our current greatest threats are China and Russia?
    Well, that comes down to how CS:GO was made. On release, the Afghanistan war was still two years from ending. The US had considered the middle east its biggest target at the time (with some militant groups acting as a proxy backed by Russia). CS:GO was based on the fight between two active forces engaged in war, hence the apparent stereotype of arab/irani terrorists existing; it's a game somewhat based on real life, just as Call of Duty or Battlefield make the same use of such stereotypes.

Now, here's where I vouch for Mineplex: the server wants to make a fun game directly based upon the framework of CS:GO. They don't want to go into the same detail that said game goes into, but they want the base-line experience to be there. How do they do this? Directly rip the voicelines and sound from the game, and impliment them into a custom texturepack. CS:GO has forces from russia as well - the game is not just based on Middle-eastern/US combat. Using said operators is easier than copying every single voice line and character model from the base game, though.
    A stereotype becomes offensive when it puts a certain group down. If that group deems it okay for said stereotype to exist, or believes it to be permissible (to some extent) to be enacted, it is no longer as offensive as originally thought to be. In this case I represent a targeted group. No; I do not hold a majority say in how all Iranians are perceived and react to terrorist jokes or portrayals of terrorists as Irani/Arab people, but I can say that for me and members of my family, we would not have any issues with this. We understand that this is a piece of fictional media, and that it will not contribute to the larger issue at hand. Is this a double standard? To some extent, but the nature and context of how the game was built allows us to put the situation into perspective and rationalize some of the intention behind said accents.

In the first place, this isn't an issue we should worry about. CS:GO stands as one of the most played games in history, with 25 million copies sold; it's not as if this is a new debate at all. Yes, is it *ever so slightly* hypocritical? I'd say somewhat, given the stereotypes that arise, but again, as someone who is Iranian and has been the brunt of many terrorist jokes, I don't mind. What I do mind is language used towards someone in a harmful manner that weaponizes my ethnicity in order to push me down - an issue which MineStrike does not contribute to. This is how the discrimination rules differ from the use-case of Minestrike. It's the way in which stereotypes and insults are applied. In *most* cases, discrimination via chat are a direct personal attack, or said to spite others, whereas this game plays out a general stereotype (which although not politically correct), is not harmful towards those who make up said ethnicity directly.

I'm gonna go eat a burrito, peace.

Posted Sep 7, 2020,
    Last edited Sep 7, 2020
  7. I really hope that you realize that by making this thread you assumed that anyone with an accent that says anything on the bombers side audio is immediately part of a religious group and Mineplex is discriminating against people, therefore, committing to the problem. This is such a minor problem that creating this thread was almost pointless, there is no reason to change the basic sound that Mineplex got from another game.

Posted Sep 7, 2020
  8. You know someone has no point when they have to lie about how long they’ve been playing to make themselves seem more credible LOL

Posted Sep 7, 2020
    ilyLegend likes this.
  9. that's a bit like saying it's wrong for movies to have middle eastern 'bad guys' and then saying that if they don't condone middle eastern stereotypes then it's hypocritical.

Posted Sep 7, 2020
  10. um, excuse me but i think you have it all wrong.

clearly, both terrorists and swat have an inclusive, non-binary and gender-fluid accent: they are not representing any real ethnic group.

please make more research before posting offensive and discriminatory stuff on the internets.

thank you and have a nice day.

Posted Sep 7, 2020
  11. savage

Posted Sep 7, 2020
  12. If so, you're contributing to the double standard that exists in Mineplex's own rules.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 7, 2020
  13. Gender literally has nothing to do with this, neither does being non-binary. Additionally, if you can't tell that SWAT uses American accents then I don't know what to tell you. There is nothing offensive or discriminatory about what I posted here. Getting offended by nothing just lends more credence to what I'm saying.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 7, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.