• 810 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11426 Players Online
  • 10616 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Making Minestrike More Inclusive

Discussion in 'Mine-Strike' started by pwnguy, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disclaimer: I posted a similar thread on the general forum but I think asking you frequent Minestrike players would be better. The thread was locked due to confusion about differentiating between Islamists and the ideology of Islam.

This is not some sort of appeal, I would just like to have an honest and open dialogue.

Today, I logged on for a game of Minestrike only to discover that I had been temp. muted. After seeing the reason was "discrimination" I surmised that it was because of a comment I made during a previous game about "Islamists blowing things up."

Isn't it somewhat hypocritical for Mineplex to have this rule about discriminating against different ethnic or religious groups when the "bombers," the "villains" of Minestrike are terrorists portrayed as distinctly Middle Eastern, with accents? And it seems like a huge double standard that Mineplex block comments about Islamists blowing things up, when they literally have a game where Islamists plant bombs and kill people. Additionally, the "SWAT" team has American accents, differentiating the two sides and making their role as the defusers the "good guys."

I recognize this is a non-issue, and never figured this was a big deal until the temporary mute, which I saw as a double standard. I was wondering if there was any way we could make the game more inclusive and neutral to avoid any double standards, like getting rid of the dialogue and making it chat call-outs instead? Is there any way that people in charge of the games could update Minestrike to more modern standards rather than normalizing these stereotypes?

Posted Jul 27, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 27, 2020
  2. who cares

Posted Jul 29, 2020
  3. Hey there,

I've personally never even realized or noticed that the dialogue had accents (or that there was dialogue at all). The way I see it, I think it's fine as it is right now. I wouldn't mind if they made both the accents the same if that bothers some people, but besides that it's really just a videogame and not meant to go into depths of social inequality or anything similar.

As for the portrayal of villain thing and making the swat the good guys, this is just common logic. Of course the terrorists are going to be the bad guys because they are the ones planting a bomb trying to blow something up. This doesn't mean it is supposed to be calling out any sort of ethnic group with this.

So overall, I'm fine with an accent change if that is a problem, but besides that I think it's fine as it is and shouldn't be thought so deeply into as Mineplex trying to be discriminatory, because they definitely are not, considering the rules we have set in place to avoid such discriminatory remarks from being said.

Posted Jul 29, 2020
  4. It's only a double standard because times have changed, when Minestrike was developed you were allowed to make funny jokes

Posted Jul 29, 2020
    Jaek, Grant138 and pwnguy like this.
  5. Who are you? And people who get muted for making jokes about the game which itself purveys stereotypes.
    "Common logic" seems to be up for debate today. I agree it's just a videogame. However, by Mineplex's own rules on portraying ethnic groups poorly and discriminating, the Minestrike game itself violates those rules. By giving the terrorists accents, it DEFINITELY links them with an thnic group. The accents are definitely Middle Eastern (taken from Counter-Strike directly), and that is being conflated with terrorism. Either don't punish people for making jokes about terrorists, change the game, or get rid of it altogether.

I completely agree, but it is hypocritical for Mineplex to punish people now when this game stands in direct contradiction to its rules on stereotyping and discrimination.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 29, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 29, 2020
    Grant138 likes this.
  6. As you hopefully saw, I agreed with you that changing the accent would be fine if that’s an issue. I don’t make the decisions on what gets changed and I don’t develop the games, and I also don’t decide the rules, so please don’t let out your frustration at me (if that’s what you were doing) just because I’m a staff member. You can contact a member of the Rules Committee for a rule concern and you can make a suggestion in Game Alterations for the accent change and it will be taken into consideration.

Posted Jul 29, 2020
  7. I wasn't frustrated, I know mods can't fix the game. By "you" I mean whoever's in charge of modifying games that can read the thread.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 29, 2020
    Tilgorn ☕ likes this.
  8. Yeah i gotta agree but mineplex is full of hypocritical logic like this this is only one example

Posted Jul 29, 2020
    mab8400, pwnguy and Grant138 like this.
  9. I agree there's a double standard here, but the inconsistency lies in the fact that production and Rules Committee are two separate entities that, to my knowledge, don't interact much; it's not like one person or group of people decide on the rules and the voice lines that the MS resource pack has. Though I should say, Mine-Strike is supposed to depict war in the Middle East- that's kind of the point. You can think that's distasteful and even morally wrong to depict such things for the enjoyment of children (and perhaps there's a valid point to be made there), but you can't exactly say it's inaccurate. It's something that still happens to this day.

Posted Jul 29, 2020
    Gardening_Tool, Jaek and pwnguy like this.
  10. I'm not disputing the fact that it's inaccurate - it does happen, of course. But when I joked that the bombers team were Islamists that blow things up (even though that's literally the premise of the game) I was muted for discrimination, even though, as you pointed out, this happens in the Middle East. The point I'm trying to make is I hope the people that make the rules and the people that make the games can come together and really decide what this server's message is.

I believe that should Minestrike continue purveying these stereotypes (with bombers having Middle Eastern accents and SWAT having American accents, which reflect real life), it is unfair to be muted for discrimination (specifically for calling out the ethnicity of the teams) on Minestrike specifically.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 29, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 29, 2020
    ClassN likes this.
  11. When Minestrike was released the only map was Dust 2 and that's the reason for the audio since it is stripped directly from CS:GO's Dust 2 audio. Stop complaining about the most innocent of things, you were the one who decided to poke at a certain group of people so you deserved getting muted. If you really want to talk about that garbage go bug the CS community and stop trying to politicize something in a block game shooter LOL

Professor Reg, 6 year Minestrike veteran, Ph.D in Minecraft mechanics

Posted Jul 29, 2020
    Gardening_Tool and Trappingg like this.
  12. I honestly have no problem with the mute. The issue is the double standard that Mineplex seemingly has. I'm not politicizing anything - just pointing out the obvious that portraying ethnic groups in a bad light is what Minestrike does. And if there's nothing wrong with that, there should be no punishment for it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 30, 2020
  13. Yet you fail to realize the main point in what I said. The audio that you have such a problem with is directly stripped from CS:GO's Dust 2 because when Minestrike and the Minestrike resource pack was released Dust 2 was the only map. It's literally that simple, do your research into why certain things are the way they are before complaining on the forums.

Professor Reg, 6 year Minestrike veteran, Ph.D in Minecraft mechanics

Posted Jul 30, 2020
    Gardening_Tool likes this.
  14. Then I guess because the sound was taken from somewhere else, it's not problematic at all!

Posted Jul 30, 2020
  15. Sorry to burst your bubble buddy, but Mineplex had no intentions of creating a double standard or even suggest that certain ethnic groups are bad. They simply used the audio to make it as similar to CS as possible. People up to this point haven't complained about such a petty thing since the Terrorist's team name was changed from Al'Jaha to Bombers, which I can see why that happened. The audio is completely different however.

Posted Jul 30, 2020
  16. The audio taken from another game to make it sound similar to CS is completely different?

Posted Jul 30, 2020
  17. what do you mean 'who are you?' If you get muted then big deal. I could understand if you were muted permanently, but who cares.

Posted Jul 30, 2020
  18. Yes, I know. I played back when there was only 1 map and the bombers team were "Al'Jaha." Do your research into how long I've played rather than assuming before retorting baselessly on the forums. And you're missing my point entirely. The audio can be changed. Developers can literally change the game and update it to be in accordance to Mineplex's own rules, such as getting rid of the audio clips completely.

Professor Reg, 6 year 10 month Minestrike veteran, Ph.D in Minecraft mechanics

Your only contribution was "who cares," and my response was that I have no idea who you are. You clearly misunderstand me if you think the mute is the problem. I have no problem being muted, my problem (as I clearly stated) was that Mineplex's discrimination rules go against Minestrike itself.

OP OP
  19. I think you're taking this game a little seriously. Fictional in-game voices is a completely different concept to making remarks about a religious group.

Posted Jul 30, 2020
  20. Those fictional voices have real accents, coupled with the premise of the game, it purveys stereotypes. Agree to disagree.

OP OP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.